Trying to get RH under 70%, am I too impatient?

• Thread starter reese600
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

reese600

Hi all, new here looking for a little advice on curing.
I know that the first week or two are critical when jar curing buds.
I live in Northern NY, and it's damp wet and rainy now, so I pulled my plants a couple weeks ago and finished trimming and jarring last Friday (a week ago).
I bought all my buds inside my house, and anything with a RH over 75%, I put in my mesh drying tower. I got all me buds between 65 and 75%RH and took out of drying tower, and in jars.
Now all me jars are between 65-75%.
I've been sealing them up overnight and taking the lids off during the day and the RH, isn't really changing, but it's only been 3 days since everything was jarred. I'm probably impatient, but I don't want any rot or mold, so far no signs of that. All my jars are pretty consistent, the ones over 70%, I empty the jar, shake up the buds then put back in and seal up for overnight.
You guys think this will be allright, or should I be doing something else?

Trying to get rh under 70 am i too impatient
Trying to get rh under 70 am i too impatient 2
Trying to get rh under 70 am i too impatient 3
Trying to get rh under 70 am i too impatient 4
Trying to get rh under 70 am i too impatient 5
R

reese600

The room I'm keeping these in has a dehumidifier and stays around 50-55% RH

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
IMO you will have to empty the jars out and leave the weed out for an extended period of time to achieve any meaningful reduction in moisture content. Maybe 10 hours or so, and then put it back in and check it! You could experiment with a jar. I know that means a hell of a lot of work in your case! But such is the high cost of success! L O L! I think burping will take forever and a day, especially with a full jars.

trustyagut

trustyagut

The jars look very full and I believe that is far too high humidity. I would personally give them a day or so layed out and then put back in and repeat until buds are sitting around 60%. The outside may feel crispy once drying for a bit but once back in jars the moisture redistributes around the bud evenly. I noticed when they are 65%+ they will stick together when you roll the jar around instead of rolling around freely. I notice when I chop up a bud I can tell straight away if it's too wet.
I've only just finished drying my first indoor grow so just reporting what I noticed.

BuggzNuggz

BuggzNuggz

I would empty the jars into paper bags. Let them sit in the room till the humidity in the bags reaches 60, then back into jars. Then keep burping them till they stay 58-60
That's what I was going to suggest it worked for me

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Put it in big paper bags. The bag will pull moisture out.
Yes, it will allow the bud to "sweat" out the moisture deep in the buds before moving back into jars. Check the buds very closely for mold. 70% in jars is prime range for mold

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

I screwed up and lost an entire harvest to mold once doing exactly what you’re doing.
Right now the buds need to dry a little more at 55-60% rh and then go through a moisture redistribution process.
I prefer using large turkey bags and a plastic tote container.
Dry the buds until the outer leaves are crunchy and the center stems (where the buds grow around) are snappy instead of bendy. Then u can move on to the next step.
Arrange the buds loosely in the bag and fold it up. Place inside the tote and close it. I even tape the edges to make it totally air tight.
The goal here is to redistribute the moisture that’s inside the buds.
Leave the tote closed for 24 hrs and open. You should notice that the outside of the buds feel moist again.
Spread the buds out for an hour or so….until they start to feel dry again.
Then repeat the process.
Usually 2 or 3 times gets the moisture evenly distributed.
Then u can jar it up.
As is, just opening the jar daily isn’t going to cut it with the buds holding that much moisture. You’ll get mold…..then you’re screwed.
Good luck.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I recently had some at 75% in the jar, so I spread them out on a window screen I bought from Lowe's. I left them in the tent for a few days. Now they're at 60%. So, that worked okay.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

I recently had some at 75% in the jar, so I spread them out on a window screen I bought from Lowe's. I left them in the tent for a few days. Now they're at 60%. So, that worked okay.
Yes…they’re def drier but there’s still moisture on the inside that isn’t being accounted for.
Once you seal them up, that internal moisture will begin to creep outward.
The larger and more dense the buds the more moisture there is to account for.

BuggzNuggz

BuggzNuggz

Yes…they’re def drier but there’s still moisture on the inside that isn’t being accounted for.
Once you seal them up, that internal moisture will begin to creep outward.
The larger and more dense the buds the more moisture there is to account for.
There's also the stems that have moisture stored in them. I use a desiccant pack to help with the extra moisture.

W

watsongreenthumb

I once lost a lot of bud putting it into jars too wet, I would recommend paper bags till it dries more. The last few years have been using grove bags and LOVE them for curing. After its fully cured and stable then put it in a jar or turkey bag.

A

alpha.ganjaguy

I also suggest brown bagging it until lower RH..

RH that high with jars that full is asking for mold imo and that would be a real shame

Top Bottom