Turning last years sandbox into a garden.

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

The sand is still in there though.

I figure it's going to take 3 or 4 years to have decent soil there but it's another spot for some plants.

Anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to it to "enhance" the sand and have a nice soil bed....

juggernaut

juggernaut

I'd empty the sandbox and fill it with soil.

outwest

The sands staying. I would need people to dig it out and what I have here shouldn't be seen..lol

So I'm left to adding either,top soil,peatmoss,coir,vermiculite, perlite,compost etc....

I can raise the soil bed and add things like Azomite, greensand, humate etc.

I would love to put a few plants in but I really want to build the soil as well.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I have never had to do that...no.

But I think if you add enough soil and composted material to it it could work ..

The sand should make for good drainage...I would think o_O

Chobble

Chobble

I have never had to do that...no.

But I think if you add enough soil and composted material to it it could work ..

The sand should make for good drainage...I would think o_O

Agreeing with ken on this one. Plenty of Compost mixed in will definitely help.

Sand is great for drainage, just not as superior as Perlite which is why most pot growers dont use it. Now in Commercial Ag, we use sand all the time. At the Uni I'm going to, All we use is sand.

The Advantages of Perlite over sand though are that sand does not hold oxygen and aerate like perlite. That does not mean add perlite to the mix though. You want to ATLEAST make sure to have a 50% sand 50% compost ratio. I would do 70% compost 30% sand personally.

Chobble

henry

henry

where'd the sand come from? if the beach, it might have a high salt content.

Chobble

Chobble

where'd the sand come from? if the beach, it might have a high salt content.
I wouldnt be to worried about that if it has been out there for a while. The salt would have been washed away over time.

Chobble

Cort

Cort

If you have the muscle to mix in as much composted material as it would take to transform the sand into good growing medium, you have enough to dig it out a bit and refill with soil.

Just my .02

Latest posts

Top Bottom