Turning The Table: Plants Consume Microbes As A Source Of Nutrients

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I need to say up front that this link got turned on to me by my son and apprentice grower. Thought I would share it with my fellow soil nerdz. Great write and amazing findings. The ground beneath our feet is like a galaxy/universe that is just getting explored. ..........I warn it is a scientific study and a long read, but worth every para. peace :smoking:

heres a teaser.

"However, new concepts are emerging which point to a wider range of nutrient sources for plants [19]and question the ‘soil microbial loop’ concept. We recently demonstrated that roots can incorporate large organic molecules including proteins and DNA [20], [21], and this implies that plants may be less dependent on microbial activity for break-down of organic matter than currently assumed. Adding to mounting questions of plant-microbe interactions in soil is the discovery that diverse microbes without known relationships with plants exist in roots [22]."

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0011915

mancdank

mancdank

I need to say up front that this link got turned on to me by my son and apprentice grower. Thought I would share it with my fellow soil nerdz. Great write and amazing findings. The ground beneath our feet is like a galaxy/universe that is just getting explored. ..........I warn it is a scientific study and a long read, but worth every para. peace :smoking:

heres a teaser.

"However, new concepts are emerging which point to a wider range of nutrient sources for plants [19]and question the ‘soil microbial loop’ concept. We recently demonstrated that roots can incorporate large organic molecules including proteins and DNA [20], [21], and this implies that plants may be less dependent on microbial activity for break-down of organic matter than currently assumed. Adding to mounting questions of plant-microbe interactions in soil is the discovery that diverse microbes without known relationships with plants exist in roots [22]."

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0011915
Nice :)

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Nice to see this made it on here.
Image 1

Image 2
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I need to say up front that this link got turned on to me by my son and apprentice grower.:smoking:

I may be an apprentice, but with my drive to understand the world around me.
I will be motivated to continue my forward progress in this newfound hobby, & long term interest/passion.

(For me) I think the hardest part of learning new concepts.
Is using your existing knowledge & experience in your many facets of your accumulated years.
To help understand new concepts you had no ties to.

Then as your years progress you just keep adding to your database.
Continuously updating all existing/old ideas connected to your new teachings.
Which in turn brings your overall understanding of your world around you closer to the truth.

The truth is what we seek
for it just tells us what is.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
My inner fishgeek loves how this research was made possible, by bioluminescence! Jellyfish.
there was an amazing show on tv the other night covering this very science. They used special filters in their cameras and took footage of reef organisms and other critters and it was like watching a light show!!

Who would have thought a stony coral of the acropora species would light up like a xmas tree. Amazing footage!!!

I will ask wifey what channel it was on or what it was called so you can see it if you havent already.

MGRox

MGRox

there was an amazing show on tv the other night covering this very science. They used special filters in their cameras and took footage of reef organisms and other critters and it was like watching a light show!!

Who would have thought a stony coral of the acropora species would light up like a xmas tree. Amazing footage!!!

I will ask wifey what channel it was on or what it was called so you can see it if you havent already.
+1 was a great show!
Nova Season 43 Episode 14 "Creatures of Light"
vv There's the link to stream the episode

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
+1 was a great show!
Nova Season 43 Episode 14 "Creatures of Light"
vv There's the link to stream the episode
Thank you bro for that link. I will watch it again as Momma didnt dvr it. It certainly got my old reefkeeper juices flowing. Other than cannabis with its autumn fade there isnt anything more beautiful than that of a healthy thriving reef system........

Ive been eyeballing my reef tank out in the garage thinking about getting back in with both fins, but the guilt of sourcing my stony and soft corals with the problems being experienced in the worlds reef systems keeps me from going there.............

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
the guilt of sourcing my stony and soft corals with the problems being experienced in the worlds reef systems keeps me from going there
No, people are fragging the shit out of their prime corals. They're giving them outrageous names a lot like how weed is named, and charging astonishing prices per frag. All captive-grown though. You should see what's coming out of Sea Dwelling Creatures.

It's the vertebrates you've really gotta pay attention to, with regard to sourcing. For me, no Philipino animals, they're practically guaranteed to at least have been exposed to cyanide, 'assuming' they weren't caught with cyanide.

Yes, folks, there is a live fish market trade going into Hong Kong that's supplemented by supplying the aquarium trade, and these fisherfolk were taught to use cyanide to stun the fish, but keep them alive. The takeaway for you is this--if visiting Hong Kong DO NOT EAT LIVE FISH.

Top Bottom