Twisted growth - Leaves look like throwing stars!

• Thread starter sweetgreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sweetgreen

This is the only plant out of my nine that really look like this. It's like one half of the leaf didn't form properly, causing the leaf to twist sideways. The new growth seems to be ok, but I'm not sure what is going on. They were stressed a couple times over the last month moving from their first 2 temporary homes to this final one. They've been stress free for a week now.

Plants are over a month old (from when seed sprouted) and I'm sure they are under size. But I figure they lost a couple weeks total recovering from transplant stress.

Nutes are Technaflora Boost and Grow, Thrive Alive Red, Sugar Daddy, Cal-Mag, Superthrive, a little bit of Rhizatonic, Pro-Tekt and SM-90.

My light is 400mh Digilux on a Lumatek ballast in a Radiant hood.

Air temps 72-74(22-24c) and Rez temps are 64-66.

Any ideas? Anything to worry about?

Thanks

Texadatimewarp 001 largejpg
Texadatimewarp 006 largejpg
Texadatimewarp 012 largejpg
Texadatimewarp 022 largejpg
Texadatimewarp 023 largejpg
M

Mmmmasonite

How high are your ppms? Usually the twisting occurs due to overnute right up to the point of burning...They twist and don't burn...I would lower PPMs if they are any higher than 250.....Peace

S

swisscheese

PH I believe has caused me problems like that in the past.

dextr0

dextr0

Looks like mosaic virus, with a nutrient burn.

do u or anyone who handles smoke tobacco?

H

HolyMunchies

I would say its too much fert. It looks like this is the center plant dead in the middle and I have noticed in the past that my tables have a natural low spot in the middle I would guess this one gets a little more nutes than the rest or possibly is sitting in water more and causing an issue.

S

smokestack23

That's quite the list of ingredients you're feeding those babies. K.I.S.S.

Tobacco (and other) mosaic virus can cause that but you'd THINK that it would affect more than one plant..then again, if it was a nute problem, you'd think THAT too would affect all the plants getting it.

Either way, I'd back way off on all the additives until they can handle some playing around. When they're small I try to just use a weak solution of base nutes (and maybe SM90).

S

sweetgreen

For the nutes I'm just following the manufacturers "Recipe for Success" which calls for all those(except the SuperThrive and SM-90). I didn't want to start screwing around with it in case I throw the NPK ratios outa wack. Plus it sounds like some of those additives are needed so the plant can utilize the base nutes?(Sugar Daddy & Thrive Alive)

But this is my first grow so I'm just going off the directions and suggestions. But if some are truly not needed, then I'd be happy to do without.

Oh and no, no smokers around here...tobacco that is:passingjoint:

J

jacobgriis02

Id say a ph problem! and its locking some micro-nutes out

S

swisscheese

For the nutes I'm just following the manufacturers "Recipe for Success" which calls for all those(except the SuperThrive and SM-90). I didn't want to start screwing around with it in case I throw the NPK ratios outa wack. Plus it sounds like some of those additives are needed so the plant can utilize the base nutes?(Sugar Daddy & Thrive Alive)

But this is my first grow so I'm just going off the directions and suggestions. But if some are truly not needed, then I'd be happy to do without.

Oh and no, no smokers around here...tobacco that is:passingjoint:

You still haven't said your ph. Rhizotonic and Protekt both raise your ph considerably and I've had a similar problem in the past. What is your ph?

S

sweetgreen

You still haven't said your ph. Rhizotonic and Protekt both raise your ph considerably and I've had a similar problem in the past. What is your ph?

Sorry, not sure how I left that out... I'm pretty good at maintaining proper pH...check it at least 2 times a day. But I'm finding after I set my pH to 5.5 before going to sleep, I'll find it around 6.2 when I wake up. Now that only means there is one feeding where things could go wrong, but I don't think it gets to 6.2 in time for that feeding, but who knows.

And lastly, if it were a pH issue, all the plants should be showing the same thing right??(they're in flood and drain)

Anyways, the new growth seems to be more straight so I guess it's no big worry....I'd just like to know why it does that. Maybe just wonky genetics?

Thanks again

I

IVIars

Are all plants the same genetics?

Looks like mosaic virus, with a nutrient burn.

do u or anyone who handles smoke tobacco?

Ive been reading a little on the mosaic virus, people with the same symptoms have sent tissue samples to get tested for the virus. Results came back negative. Have you heard of any samples coming back positive?

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
PH coupled with a slight nute burn is my guess. Back off the strength and flush with a 1/4 strength solution. Aim for 5.8-6.2 ph. You will want to test your run off as well. Put in solution of known PH/PPM and test the water that runs out the bottom. Compare the numbers. If they are higher than the known solution you have salt build up, flush. If your good with PH/PPM it must be something you fed them. Hope this helps. Sorry for your troubles.

Cheers,
Crom

dextr0

dextr0

Ive been reading a little on the mosaic virus, people with the same symptoms have sent tissue samples to get tested for the virus. Results came back negative. Have you heard of any samples coming back positive?

Ive never even heard of anyone sending in samples to check until u posted it. I always thought it was a pretty simple thing to diagnose. I smoke cigar papers like there's no tomorrow and the symptoms were spot on...never even questioned.

S

sweetgreen

Are all plants the same genetics?

Yes, they are all Texada Timewarp from seed(Jordan of the Islands). I believe they are 70/30 Sativa/Indica

Update today;

Well I dunno, seems some of the new growth seems to still be doing it, and now the plant next to it seems to be showing the same thing(it might have been like this for a while, but I just noticed it on this plant).

I'm still adjusting pH to 5.5 before going to sleep, and still finding it around 6.0-6.2 when I wake up. Thinking it could be my low nute strength

Anyways, here are pics taken today of the second plant showing weird growth

TexadaTimewarp 005 Large
TexadaTimewarp 006 Large
TexadaTimewarp 010 Large
TexadaTimewarp 011 Large
TexadaTimewarp 012 Large
TexadaTimewarp 014 Large
TexadaTimewarp 015 Large
TexadaTimewarp 031 Large
S

sweetgreen

And here is close up pics of that original plant. I took a good close up of one of the worst leaves, so you can see how half the leaf is shriveled up, causing the twist

...and a group shot taken today

TexadaTimewarp 017 Large
TexadaTimewarp 018 Large
TexadaTimewarp 019 Large
TexadaTimewarp 033 Large
TexadaTimewarp 034 Large
TexadaTimewarp 032 Large
S

sweetgreen

Well upon further reading, I have found out that Thrive Alive and Superthrive are very similar, and since I'm using both I might be over doing it. I've found people complaining of mutated growth from too much B-1 and hormones.

So I'm doing a rez change in the next couple days when I get my H202, and will cut out the Superthrive, and use less Thrive Alive and see how that goes.

J

jacobgriis02

Thanks for the update, let us know how that goes! I have seen similar and been stumped by it!

xrob415x

xrob415x

I have had problems like that when my ph was not on point. Usually ph problems result in twisted growth

Top Bottom