Twisting Leaves???

• Thread starter HiGro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HiGro

HiGro

Howdy, I'm having a small problem here with my leaves, they are starting to twist a bit. This is my first indoor DWC grow and need a little help here with my babies

Last entry of grow log P4

PH=6.0
Nute solution=577ppm
Res water temp=68
Nutes
Big Bloom 2tsp per gal
Grow Big Hydro 1tsp per gal
Room temp range high 74f
low 68f
1000w hps dimmiable only at 75%=750w
24hrs light
two air pumps so plenty of o2
Humidity was low to none at first now stays around 40%
Also just added a boost buddy bag

Twisting leaves
SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Are you seeing lesions appearing on them leaves where they turn under?
If it just happened a dsy or so after the new feed, it could be a bit hot. Dim you light down to 400w and dump some solution and dilute your rez 50% with ph'ed water to get you around 250ppm.

HiGro

HiGro

No spots or sign of burn nice and green, but the edges of the leaves are a darker green though and its been happing since 2nd set of leaves their going on their 4th now

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I'm not a dwc guy. But twisting leaves usually signal pH issues. Is your pH rising or falling after you top your res w fresh solution then run it for a day? You might have to adjust pH daily or something. Best of luck.
Peace

HiGro

HiGro

yes slightly at first, from 5.8 to 6.2 But I've got it dialed in now and its stayed at a 6 for the past week and still shows twisting with new growth. I've heard that low humidity can also cause leaves to twist is that true? At start up there was no humidity it was dry, now it stays around 40%
Also my light height is 30in from tops

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

WELCOME TO DA Farm @HiGro

Are the pots metal cans ?
and sitting on the tile? concrete get them off the ground about an inch they are sucking up the cold I will bet the temp control is not were you may expect it should be and that what is happening is a very low 50s in the can
also the air stones you are using if you don't have the proper size pump and a good amount of air through the nutes the plants may be oxygen deficient.
I started with DWC myself and moved to Hempy coco IE passive hydroponics and never looked back but its all good if you can dial it in. I wish you good vibes and happy plants. . . . .

Just wondering
what is the basket size inside the reservoir u are using
and is it full of hydroton clay pellets as a base and where is the water level in the pots . . . . . .
the key IMHO is to have the nutes just at the bottom of the net pot or slightly lower, and let the roots chase the water,
I used Expanded clay in mine when I tried it
And had 4 air stones and two hi quality air pumps to keep the roots happy. . . .
I grew in 4 and 5 gallon buckets. . . It was Great fun
Peace and good Luck H-Man
flyJ

HiGro

HiGro

Their plastic buckets that i tapped up with reflective tape to keep the light out. The res water stays at 68f. I use AIT air stones with two air pumps that are rated for a 60gal aquarium they get plenty of oxygen. Im using 3" net pots in hydroton clay pellets. I keep the water level about 2" below the net pot so about 60% of the root mass is submerged. Tomorrow is Res cleaning day, i clean everything with a H2O2 solution. Ill be replacing nutes and starting week one of veg with the fox farm line. 3tsp/gal Big Bloom and 2tsp/gal of Grow Big Hydro, EC=1.2-1.4 PPm=840-980 Does this sound right to anyone or is that too much?

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
First off...what is the strain you are growing? Is it finicky or anything? Heavy eater/light eater?

For veg your PPM's seem slightly high...also...why in veg are you running so heavy on Bloom nutes? For veg in DWC I would run 400 ppm or less....I would get closer to 300 than 400...I like where Son said too...250...this will be harder with city water...

Are they still twisting? What do you consider twisting? The slight curl/roll down I see...looks like could be too much nute...affecting the uptake...or too much light along with too dry...or a combo of all.

Can you take a better picture so we can all get a better look at the color and new growth along with older growth...

Keep it Green!

mojavegreen

mojavegreen

sometimes i'll get twisted leaves if i go to long between my flood and drain cycle.

HiGro

HiGro

Cant remember the strands their older seeds I've saved from known medical one was LSD another was Lemon Skunk (i think)

Im a Noobie to DWC and was going off Fox Farm Hydro feeding schedule. And yes that would be hard for me to drop my Ppm to 250, my water starts around 440ppm, lately though I've been filling buckets with water and letting them sit for a week in a cool dark spot.

Yes..the first set of leaves was curled down on one side of the leaf and up on the other thats wheat i got the twisting from, but now they are curl/roling down the tips.

I cleaned and replenished all the res water solution in all 4 res's sticking to the Fox Farm schedule for week 1 (described above) and i noticed my Ph kept rising to 7.1 in a day (8 hours at work) I've got it under control now and its staying at 5.9ph

They seem to be doing better now that their intaking the nutes although two of the plants are showing what i think is a phosphorus deficiency? ill put up pics for everyone

Also i just wanna say "find what you are looking for my friend!" on your search for Blue. You have an amazing grow room very clean,and your crops are surly reflecting that! Awesome job hopefully my set up will be as nice as your one day I'm growing and investing in equipment everyday. OK HERE ARE THE PICS The first two are of plant #1 then goes Plant#2 Plant#3 Plant#4 then all then my grow set up.
0113152034a
0113152035a
0113152035c

View attachment ff-feed-hydro.pdf
BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
Those are some big fan leaves...

They all look slightly over nuted...the third pic down is definitely looks like over nuting...the twisting you see there is typically found with too much N.

What happens if you dump a res and refill at half the strength you just did your ressy at? Where would it put at ppm? 440 right out of the tap is horrible...

Thanks for stopping by my grow!...and No I have not found the Blue I am looking for yet...but the dedicated search just started...

Keep it Green!

HiGro

HiGro

Thanks, I know #4 is thriving! Im going to reduce to half strength like you said and test my ppm. Im looking into getting a RO water filtration system$$$ whoa
Nitrogen Toxicity huh..ok, what about the leaf pic? Does that look like a phosphorus def?

I was wondering whats a good seed bank? I don't know of any locally right now.

I also just topped all them using the FIM technique

Last edited:
BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
You know...these plants are a funny thing...

So many def's look a lot like others...and sometimes too much nute can come across looking like a def...

Personally they all look like they are over nuted...Fox Farm is some mean stuff. Is your PH still stable?

Ever thought about maybe a smaller filter system and then build up to an RO? I take it you have a PPM meter?

There is a great seedbank here for the forum members...thanks to @logic! Where are you at? Just not sure where locally is...

Keep it Green!

HiGro

HiGro

Yes they are.....ok ill cut back to half like you said and see what happens..

And yes i have a ppm/ec meter ...

Yeah about Fox Farm if i knew what i know now i would not have used their line i thought is all organic but found out their synthetic bases with organic additives :eek:

Yes Ph has been stable!:D

What sort of smaller filter system were you thinking? What should i be looking for to filter out?

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

Why would anyone consider using tap that comes out at 440
Yeah curious about this also. My water comes out at 500 and never tried to use it running wool. I had some plants do this when i had low RH and over watered.

HiGro

HiGro

Back with an update....Week 3Veg.

Way too much nut's, Fox Farm line is hott Ive been cutting my Ppm back to around the 350 range.

Added a RO filtration to my toolbox also.

Found one male turned on me fast and one herm. thats doing well now i separated her and got rid of the pollen sacs she hasn't grown any new ones just a few nice pistols i think I'm ok:D.

Also moved them to 5gal Bubblers.

Pic's 1-5=The good girls
6=Hermie
7 &8=The Male (Pulled)
0125151456a
0125151456b
0125151456c
0125151501b

HiGro

HiGro

Four days later and i think they tripled in size, their doing exceptionally well thanks to the help i got from this site!

The first two are pics of leaves the third pis is, well I tried to get a shot of a pistol through a 60x Mic Just mess in around with it ...pretty damn cool!!
0129151801a

0128151618a
0128151618b

urban1026835

urban1026835

Looks like they are starting to turn around for you.
Shows what someone willing to take advice with an open mind can achieve.
Welcome to the farm.

Top Bottom