Two flowers with early problems

• Thread starter Experimental8
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Experimental8

Greetings,

These two autoflowers are on their 10th day of life and already are showing some problems.

Its supposed to be organic and simple so im using the biotabs classic strategy for nutrients and the soil is biobizz light mix.

For the first week of their life they were on plastic cups and then i planted them on fabric pots.

The light is viparspectra XS1500 pro and its currently at 25% intensity at 11 inches distance from the plants on a 18-6h cycle.

There is a fan in the tent but it's not directed at the plants and it's above the light.

The temps range from 73°F to 75°F and humidity has been somewhat stable at 64%.

First:
Two flowers with early problems

Leaves and curving down and have a darker green color, some tips seem burnt and there are brown spots.
New growth has darker color and brown tips.

Second:
Two flowers with early problems 2

Severe yellow spots on the leaves, and tips are curved down.
New growth appears somewhat normal for now.

What's your opinion?
Thanks !

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Seedlings are light burned!
Unfortunately your light is still way to close. It needs to be about 30" for seedlings.
25% is good on the light for now at 30" you can bump the light up to 60" in about 2 weeks.
The fan needs to be down where the plants are. Not blowing on the plant directly but the seedlings should warble around in the breeze a bit.

So tell me what / how you are feeding your soil?

E

Experimental8

Seedlings are light burned!
Unfortunately your light is still way to close. It needs to be about 30" for seedlings.
25% is good on the light for now at 30" you can bump the light up to 60" in about 2 weeks.
The fan needs to be down where the plants are. Not blowing on the plant directly but the seedlings should warble around in the breeze a bit.

So tell me what / how you are feeding your soil?
Thank you for the reply!
I followed the instructions on the light's manual, thats why the 11" at 25%, curiously the other two plants on the tent are really healthy and looking great 👍

The soil is mixed with Startex which "is a soil conditioner and organic fertiliser with a high probiotic bacteria content.
Certified 100% Organic Fertiliser NPK 3:1:2 and contains silicon (Si) and Fulvic acid"

Then, before the plant goes to the fabric pot, I put Mycrotrex on the potting hole. Mycrotrex is a "blend of 9 species of Endo Mycorrhiza spores, contains Beneficial Rhizo Bacteria, Seaweed meal & Humic acid. "

I water the plant one time with Orgatrex, an organic Liquid Fertiliser
NPK (5-1-5) and Bactrex which has beneficial soil bacteria for the root system and contains Trichoderma genus mold soil microbes.

And I also add two Biotabs into the soil, These slow releasing tablets contain organic fertiliser NPK 15-7-8 AND beneficial soil bacteria.

Then is just plain water until flowering, then I feed them orgatrex and bactrex one time again.

👍

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

The other plants in the tend don't matter, your cooking the ones pictured.
Do yourself a favor.
Move the light up 30" above the seedlings and leave it up top of the tent from now on. The plants will grow up to it. Really.
The manual was written buy some idiot that has never grown pot.

Will take a look at your nutrient line up and see what it's all about.
All the best. Will get back to you.

E

Experimental8

The other plants in the tend don't matter, your cooking the ones pictured.
Do yourself a favor.
Move the light up 30" above the seedlings and leave it up top of the tent from now on. The plants will grow up to it. Really.
The manual was written buy some idiot that has never grown pot.

Will take a look at your nutrient line up and see what it's all about.
All the best. Will get back to you.
Edit: I moved the light to 30" which is almost at the top of the tent. Just as you suggested!
I will do an update on their condition tomorrow!

Thank you for your help!
All the best 👍

Last edited:
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I also grow organic. If you happen to have a small pump up garden sprayer or 1/2 gallon pump up sprayer bottle.
Your plants will really thank you for spraying your soil rather than spot watering with a watering can. When growing in organic soil it's important that the entire pot be kept just moist. Not to wet not to dry. Give it a real soaking then let it dry right out. Then a little a day for 2 days a day off and a real soaking fallowed buy no water for a few days. You will find that your plants pick right up with the light up top. You should likely bump it up to 50% and keep an eye. In a few days 65% until harvest. The burned seedlings. At 18 days they are at least 1/2 way threw there veg cycle. You may as well save yourself the disappointment and pull them now. It's just to late for them to recover. Maybe plant new seeds in there place. They will finish a couple of weeks after the rest of your tent. and it won't be that bad after all.

I'm thinking that the Biotabs are a great idea but designed more for photo period plants that are in the ground for quite a long time. Consider preparing the pot 30 days before planting autos so it's up and cooking full tilt boggy when you throw the seed in the pot or transplant a seedling into the pot.

I know some guys say don't plant seeds in big pots. It works for me. I start photos inside in African violet pots then transplant into 15 gallon pots outdoors. All Autos get cracked and go straight into 15 gallon pots. Just stick a finger in drop in the seed and cover. Walk away. No matter how you slice it. Autos don't like being transplanted.

With a little luck the rest of your grow will go great and you will end up with some nice bud in the end.
Sorry about the bad news on the 2 burned seedlings.
Ron

Last edited:
E

Experimental8

I also grow organic. If you happen to have a small pump up garden sprayer or 1/2 gallon pump up sprayer bottle.
Your plants will really thank you for spraying your soil rather than spot watering with a watering can. When growing in organic soil it's important that the entire pot be kept just moist. Not to wet not to dry. Give it a real soaking then let it dry right out. Then a little a day for 2 days a day off and a real soaking fallowed buy no water for a few days. You will find that your plants pick right up with the light up top. You should likely bump it up to 50% and keep an eye. In a few days 65% until harvest. The burned seedlings. At 18 days they are at least 1/2 way threw there veg cycle. You may as well save yourself the disappointment and pull them now. It's just to late for them to recover. Maybe plant new seeds in there place. They will finish a couple of weeks after the rest of your tent. and it won't be that bad after all.

I'm thinking that the Biotabs are a great idea but designed more for photo period plants that are in the ground for quite a long time. Consider preparing the pot 30 days before planting autos so it's up and cooking full tilt boggy when you throw the seed in the pot or transplant a seedling into the pot.

I know some guys say don't plant seeds in big pots. It works for me. I start photos inside in African violet pots then transplant into 15 gallon pots outdoors. All Autos get cracked and go straight into 15 gallon pots. Just stick a finger in drop in the seed and cover. Walk away. No matter how you slice it. Autos don't like being transplanted.

With a little luck the rest of your grow will go great and you will end up with some nice bud in the end.
Sorry about the bad news on the 2 burned seedlings.
Ron
I already do something similar to keep the soil moist 👍
Regarding the light, you suggest keeping the light at the top and regulate the intensity? I did a little search and in generally for leds everyone recommends the distance to be from 22" to 36" when they are seedlings, nothing near the 11" on the manual.

These ones are on their 11th or 12th day and I have nothing ready to plant so I'll wait a bit and see if they improve, in case they don't progress by that time I should have something to plant and the soil should still be good to use.

I also read about preparing the soil before but for only one week prior and that's what I did, next time ill give it kore time.

I've always use these nutrients and the effort/rewards are great because it's organic and way simpler than constantly checking every metric around the grow. Of course the end result may not be as big or better but for me it's good enough 😄

Thank you again for the feedback.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Gosh 11” what’s the manual called “ toasted cannabis “ 🤣

Yeah they will bonce back no problems as said there hardy things. Tbh it’s a weed it pretty much grows despite what folks do to it.

18-36” used to be the old regime with the old mh/hps combo with these leds it seems like 22-36 is preferable starting with a low intensity and working your way up as it gets older
Tbh even in my 7ft tent my light never goes above 75% the led seems to intense at 100% even in flower.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure 😋👍

Last edited:
FirstLight

FirstLight

I already do something similar to keep the soil moist 👍
Regarding the light, you suggest keeping the light at the top and regulate the intensity? I did a little search and in generally for leds everyone recommends the distance to be from 22" to 36" when they are seedlings, nothing near the 11" on the manual.

These ones are on their 11th or 12th day and I have nothing ready to plant so I'll wait a bit and see if they improve, in case they don't progress by that time I should have something to plant and the soil should still be good to use.

I also read about preparing the soil before but for only one week prior and that's what I did, next time ill give it kore time.

I've always use these nutrients and the effort/rewards are great because it's organic and way simpler than constantly checking every metric around the grow. Of course the end result may not be as big or better but for me it's good enough 😄

Thank you again for the feedback.
Forget the instructions from internet about light height.
You need to experiment with your environment. Take responsibility and learn.
The grow advice on this forum is great.

It's better to start with less intensity and slowly increase until you find the "zone" for your genetics.

A simple hand test, Put your hand under the light at the height you select. Feel the intensity of the heat. Air temp may be good but leaf surface temp can cook those leaves.

Anyway what strain are you growing?

E

Experimental8

It's better to start with less intensity and slowly increase until you find the "zone" for your genetics.

A simple hand test, Put your hand under the light at the height you select. Feel the intensity of the heat. Air temp may be good but leaf surface temp can cook those leaves.

Its that ability to adapt the circumstances to the plant that I want to work on, to understand the signs that they give.
I think i will come here a lot more often, just to learn a little bit more !

The seeds are from Sweet Seeds and they are random autos 🤣 so i doesn't have any clue to what strain they might be.

FirstLight

FirstLight

Its that ability to adapt the circumstances to the plant that I want to work on, to understand the signs that they give.
I think i will come here a lot more often, just to learn a little bit more !

The seeds are from Sweet Seeds and they are random autos 🤣 so i doesn't have any clue to what strain they might be.

I’m new here, so I’m sure there are excellent sources of seed here.
At the moment I buy from Proseeds.
I know many of the producers there.

I find that a good organic soil has everything your plants want. Unlike DWC or growing in Coco where you need to be on top of the nutrients and PH.
I prefer growing the photo period type.
But I have nothing against Autos.
My last auto grow was C99a.

If you can find those, they are stout!

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I'm an outdoor organic grower. So it's on a little larger scale. I try and make everything myself. I have trenches cut in my flower gardens 10' Long that get filled with Rotting grass clippings and leaves kitchen scraps and other good things all winter long. This is actually a worm trap. Yes it catches adults but it catches 10 times as many egg cases that hatch in my pots. I end up with a lot of little red worms in the pots and top with at least 4" of 1/2 rotten leaf and grass material. So the girls are not hungry. They get a little food scraps from the kitchen as well. My pot's are plant growing worm bins.
Love doing this. Indoors I'm more of a mad scientist. I'm learning to do.

FirstLight

FirstLight

I'm an outdoor organic grower. So it's on a little larger scale. I try and make everything myself. I have trenches cut in my flower gardens 10' Long that get filled with Rotting grass clippings and leaves kitchen scraps and other good things all winter long. This is actually a worm trap. Yes it catches adults but it catches 10 times as many egg cases that hatch in my pots. I end up with a lot of little red worms in the pots and top with at least 4" of 1/2 rotten leaf and grass material. So the girls are not hungry. They get a little food scraps from the kitchen as well. My pot's are plant growing worm bins.
Love doing this. Indoors I'm more of a mad scientist. I'm learning to do.
Worms!
I love using them.
In NY they are everywhere my outdoor pots attract them.
In Florida my problem with using worms are armadillo’s and raccoons. They will dig thru my soil and trash the pots getting at the worms. Same if topdress with bone or blood meal.

E

Experimental8

Update on the plants:
First:
Second:

At first glance, it doesn't seem much but they stretched a bit, like 0.3" each and the new growth on the second is noticeable, i think they grew more than they did these past days.

Maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel and not at 11" 👍

Thanks to everyone, we'll see these next days if they improve.

R

Robert23howard

Your sonwelcome
Sure hope they improve, in the morning I looked through the tents window and they seem happy with the light and the new growth improved a lot.

Thank you
You are very welcome. They will be super happy in 10 days! Can’t wait to see them seedlings then.

Last edited:
R

Robert23howard

Gosh 11” what’s the manual called “ toasted cannabis “ 🤣

Yeah they will bonce back no problems as said there hardy things. Tbh it’s a weed it pretty much grows despite what folks do to it.

18-36” used to be the old regime with the old mh/hps combo with these leds it seems like 22-36 is preferable starting with a low intensity and working your way up as it gets older
Tbh even in my 7ft tent my light never goes above 75% the led seems to intense at 100% even in flower.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure 😋👍
Well said!

R

Robert23howard

Great advice!

Top Bottom