Two grows one sump: Ebb and Flow?

• Thread starter KushMarine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KushMarine

Hey everyone new to the forum and new to the hobby. Im about to start my first grow and have a few questions on my ebb and flow setup. My plan is to build an 8' tall x 4' wide x 2' deep box with a divider in the middle. On the top Im going to have a ebb and flow sytem for two plants and a veg bulb (havent decided on which one yet). On the bottom Im going to have another ebb and flow system for two plants but with an HPS bulb. Basically my plan is to have a setup where i can move two plants from veg to budding and start two more in the veg section. My question is, can I use one sump to supply the nutrient water to both the plants budding and the plants growing. I was planning on using a 40 gallon fish tank as my sump. Thanks for any help.

L

LikemindS

You need one for each ... veg and bloom.
If you are new to growing, I would get some good soil from the hydro shop and start there. Soil mix is a little easier/more forgiving starting out than Hydro...
LOOK/READ through the 'Basic Grow Info' and 'Organic Soil' get some good pointers there.
Post Pics ask Q's
Good Luck and Happy Growin!
:passingjoint:

G

Gaval

fuck that learn to grow dro! you will go through the loops of figuring out hydro while your still a newb. I started out soil an always thought hydro was some crazy complex set up an lost out on a shit load of money... go dro pimpin

A

antlixxdabox

dro all day

hydro seems complex butt a little homework and good relationship with growshop

D

dese637

Sump...LOL, you must keep reef tanks ... I agree with the others, lots and lots of reading to do, good luck with the grow and post up some pics when you get started!

K

KushMarine

Yea I do have a few reef tanks. If I can take care of a 250 gallon reef. I can learn how to use hydro efficiently. Everyone tells me soil is easier but I'm not about easy I want the best end product. The build has already begun. When I'm finished I'll post up some pics

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I saw the sump thing and thought, "Reefkeeper?" Yep. Do you get your change water from Scripps? When I lived in SD they had a spigot, best thing on earth. Just take your bottles and go fill up.

K

KushMarine

There is a watermill 2 minutes from my house, 5 gallons of purified water for $1.00. Cant beat it.

D

dese637

Yea I do have a few reef tanks. If I can take care of a 250 gallon reef. I can learn how to use hydro efficiently. Everyone tells me soil is easier but I'm not about easy I want the best end product. The build has already begun. When I'm finished I'll post up some pics

Yea if you can manage a reef, you can grow hydro... same concept with the PH, and your calcium turns to your nutes... well you need calcium too but you get my point... I started reefs after growing so everyone was amazed on how fast I picked it up, so you should pick up hydro pretty quick.
I am not sure how much you plan to harvest but if you veg to 12" with your bottom veg being 24" need light + room from light to top of plant, then you have 6' feet or so of space to flower. Me being me would cram 8+ plants, 2 every 2 weeks, so you can harvest every 2 weeks(8 wk strains)....You would have 5 small res's but you wouldn't run out of meds,lol. The other problem is heat. What are you thinking of doing for heat ? And any reef pics ?

K

KushMarine

My setup has changed a little bit as I've gone along. I ended up splitting my chamber top to bottom so I have a 2'x2'x7.5' on each side of my box. On both sides I used a hydrofarm daystar hood with 6" venting running through both with a 500cfm fan pulling in air from the attic and putting it back into the attic. For ventilation I'm mounting a sealed box in my attic with a carbon can filter mounted inside with an 8" 800cfm fan creating a vacuum in the box. I'm going to run two short pieces of 6" duct from the top of each chamber to the box with the filter inside. In theory this will create a vacuum in my grow chamber, suck in cold fresh air from the surrounding room through light tight vents I made in the side. The hot stinky air will be pulled through the top go through the sealed carbon filter box and exit the air to the opposite side of the room. In theory this will keep a constant flow of cool fresh air inside the chambers without sucking any extra air from the ac system in my house. I normally keep my house at 72 degrees so I'm hoping I'll be ok. Any advice on my plans is appreciated.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
There is a watermill 2 minutes from my house, 5 gallons of purified water for $1.00. Cant beat it.
If you're in Carlsbad area then Scripps is a bit of a drive, but FREE filtered natural sea water is how that would be beaten. I've always had much better results using natural sea water over mixed. And then Steinhart goes and converts their 200,000gal display to Instant Ocean or some shit like that.
facepalm.gif

J

JAHGYDI

started reefkeeping as a kid. same concept as growing. dont want to clog your tread but heres a pic of my latest tank. date is wrong on pic. scripps water has been a life saver at times for me.

100 1463
O

oglovinlife18

started reefkeeping as a kid. same concept as growing. dont want to clog your tread but heres a pic of my latest tank. date is wrong on pic. scripps water has been a life saver at times for me.

how long does that take to grow that looks cool

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
JAG, that's a very nicely done tank. I like how you've mixed the SPS with leathers. When we were in Guam, diving in the harbor from the beach on-base, I saw a Sarcophyton that was FOUR FEET across. Almost as good as diving Bali, I swear.

I used to live in SD, moved down there to work for Petschmo when they tried to open up their own live animal DC, at their HQ in Miramar. Sometimes I so miss fishrooms, I swear. <sigh>

My husband and I met on a reefkeeping website, in a sump.

Latest posts

Top Bottom