Two plants very infested with spider mites, any saving them?

• Thread starter GrandmaGanja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Have two plants indoor.I’ve been battling mites for months, wanted to wait until I (thought) I had them under control and then flip them to flower. I flipped them a few days ago and there was an explosion of mites, spots on every leaf, and webs everywhere.

I had hit them with the spinosad and neem oil and took them outside a few times to blast them off with the hose.

Any saving them? If maybe I let them grow to harvest outside will that help? I don’t think more spinosad at this point is going to do anything.

Two plants very infested with spider mites any saving them
Two plants very infested with spider mites any saving them 2
Two plants very infested with spider mites any saving them 3
Two plants very infested with spider mites any saving them 4
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Have two plants indoor.I’ve been battling mites for months, wanted to wait until I (thought) I had them under control and then flip them to flower. I flipped them a few days ago and there was an explosion of mites, spots on every leaf, and webs everywhere.

I had hit them with the spinosad and neem oil and took them outside a few times to blast them off with the hose.

Any saving them? If maybe I let them grow to harvest outside will that help? I don’t think more spinosad at this point is going to do anything.
Ditch em and concentrate on irradicating the leftovers and eggs in your tent so next time your good. If you bought clones,consider seeds next time or at least treat them before they enter the home

testiclees

testiclees

I've had good success using green cleaner according to the directions and being super judicious with N. Mites feed on plants high in ammonium.

mancorn

mancorn

You didn’t mention what kind of mites you have, but guessing it’s two spotted. (If not disregard the rest of the post.) Indoors I would most certainly trash them. If you want to try and move outdoors then you could try saving them. There’s a number of organic commercial products like Pure Crop 1, Lost Coast Plant Therapy, and Green Cleaner which use vegetable oils and it’s pretty easy to replicate a homemade recipe on the cheap

Here’s a interesting study on Soybean Oil Controls Two-Spotted Spider Mites

A good thread from Bill Farthing on DIY recipes (He might have similar info on this site if you search).

Below is an easy 1 gal receipt with ingredients you can source today. Almost all the big brand vegetables oil (Wesson & Crisco) are soybean, so you probably already have it. The other two primary ingredients are Hydrogen Peroxide & Isopropyl Alcohol, which if you don’t have can source at most major pharmacy (CVS, Walgreen, etc) or grocery store. You can use any Castile soap (like Dr Bonners) also available at any major grocery store. Don’t use a detergent but can use other dish soaps (Dawn, Palmolive, Ivory, etc). Also don’t worry about the silica or citric acid if you don’t have as they’re for PM control, with the silica also helping as a surfactant, which the soap also does.

1 TBSP soybean oil (.5oz) - typically 10-30 ml./gallon
1 TBSP Dr Woods peppermint soup - typically 7.5-30 ml./gallon
1 TBSP ISO (.5oz) - ~0.5-1 oz./gallon
2 TBSP Hydrogen peroxide (1oz)
1 Tsp silica
.25g citric acid

Spray the shit out of the plants, especially the bottoms. And then repeat day 3 & 5 and see where you’re at. You could spray every day with such a nasty infestation (as it’s cheap, won’t harm the plants, and mites don’t built resistance to oils). Obviously like any oil, don’t do it in the sun. (If you move the plants outside they’ll need to be in the shade for a few days anyway.) You should be able to knock them down fairly well. Outside there’s always going to be some mites around, but hopefully can get clean before it starts flowering.

Last edited:
Top Bottom