two questions about transplanting in a soilless medium

• Thread starter blackcat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

blackcat

hi all

1.) How can you tell when the best time to transplant is? When the roots are just starting to circle? Right before they start to circle?

2.) How long on average is the wait time in between pot sizes for transplanting? i.e. it takes 1 week to fill a beer cup then into 1 gal which takes 1 week then into 3 gal that takes 1.5 weeks before its full? or is this question too broad in respect to strains, lighting, feeding, health, etc?

thx

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Boy, those are actually kind of tough questions because the answers you're going to get will be so different. I like some binding of the roots before I transplant, then I break them loose and, if they're really bound, will cut off root mass.

Time between transplanting really depends on the pot sizes being used, environmental conditions (warm vs cold, a real issue for my situation), media, strain.... yeah, you've kinda got the idea already. I've never had a new seedling get roots circling in one week in a beer cup, not even in the best conditions. But, I'm a little tough on seed starts. Clones, sort of the same thing. And, again, I want that pot chock full of roots so the root ball doesn't fall apart as easily as it will when the roots are only just beginning to work into the media.

Make any sense?

B

blackcat

yes seamaiden as always you have been very helpful!!! it makes sense there isnt really a definitive answer. fwiw i find myself @ 1 week between transplants, once I get to bigger containers I can let it go a bit longer 1.5 and maybe even 2 weeks but ive never had good luck transplanting root bound plants even when I break the root ball up. I find that just prior to any circling when the root mass is big enough to hold the clump of dirt together is the best time. i notice they transplant with ease and dont show any stress as opposed to when i drop a rootbound plant in after messing with its roots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom