Types Of Coco and Your Experience

• Thread starter cemchris
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jimmygreen

when you guys reuse your coir, how are you doing it? how do you get all the previous roots out of it? I use Canna and all the canna nutes to their schedule. I am just finishing my first grow of coco coming from dirt and I was very pleased with how easy it was.
I am super interested in reusing the medium, I just dont know how you guys clean the roots out and what else you use to cleanse it.
thanks

A

antimatter

roglmao :rock

i suppose rinsing coco for plants that will be in one gal or less would be ok ,if the strain is sensitive,,,not neccesay with botanicares coco imo

This has been my experience for the past 2+ years UNCLEJOE. I top feed/recirculate using Botanicare 5Kg Coco Blocks, and Canna Coco Nutes 2part.

The majority of my grows have been between 4 and 6k grows with excellent success for the most part.

After trying Canna's Coco Coir for the first time, presently, it has been nothin less than a nitemare! The stuff is like mud compared to Botanicare Compressed blocks. Its strongly ph buffered at 5.5 that requires contsant ph up to stabilize throughout.

I find it very odd that their is so much praise for Canna Coco Coir? Are these peeps first time growers, or perhaps closet growers?

You can dial in any media, if thats your objective, but why struggle when its uneccessary?

huh? maybe you got some bad bags or something because mine definitely does not get muddy or compress, did you pack it down in the pots or something when you transplanted that would be a major mistake.

Brain

Brain

I've great success with all the brands I've tried. I go with royal gold because it is the cheapest out here and their organic basement mix rocks. I started using their Tuper this past year and love it. It is much lighter so I get to feed more. I reuse it. Just cut out the main stem with a dry wall saw and plug in a new start. Super easy and cheap. The old roots make a great medium just by themselves. A buddy of mine shook the coco off a couple root balls and planted in just the roots. Worked fine but probably not for consecutive grows.

B

bendoslendo

Up until the other day I've used Sunleaves Piece Coir. It's quite chunky, looks/feels almost like mulch. Water retention is very low, have to water pretty pretty frequently, even in Hempy Buckets.

I just bought my first bonticare brick the other day. I hydrated it with plain water, no flush and no charging. I had transplanted 3 week old (but small) clones in and fed 6/9 with 5mL calmag+ last night. After reading this thread I wish I had rinsed that coco, oh well we'll see how it goes. Glad to hear a couple people feel they don't need to rinse Bonticare bricks.

M

mackaru

I must also try using coco,coming from sri lanka i have the privilage of getting coco dust for free as it is a by-product from the coconut fiber industry,that used to be thrown before you guys started buying it.

the salinity level are due to the main coconut production in sri lanka are around the cost and i now for a fact that non of the exported coco coir is washed(my dad has 50acers coconut estate)so i now a lot about coconuts...lol

COCOLOCO

COCOLOCO

Coco testing can be tricky. Canna and Empire test on the 1:1.5 volume/volume method Atami tests on the 1:5 v/v method. Whats this mean? While Canna and EO use 1 part coco to 1.5 parts distilled water Atami uses 1 part coco 5 parts d. water... Atami.. You sneeky bastards!!
IMO EMPIRE ORGANICS rules the coco game in every way. Purity, Options, Price, Quality. You really cant beat it. Check out their Coco Coir its King CHIT! Talked to the owner and their bringin out a new buffered/ innoculated lineup this spring that will crush all, Canna included. Cant wait!

Jeezer

Jeezer

i have used both roots organics, and b'cuzz.
Didnt pre-flush either and both worked marvelous.
I would probably be on the roots organic side though

P

P Nice

I'm on my second run with the loose Botanicare CocoGrow and have not had any issues with it. Both times I didn't rinse the coco, nor did I charge it with any CalMag (had never heard of "charging" w/ calmag before reading this thread) before planting any beans/clones.

I've got 5 Blue Dream X Green Crack seedlings on day 8 of veg, and 11 BlueWreck X Green Crack seedlings on Day 3 of veg. I'm feeding them Humboldt Nutes 3 Part w/ Botanicare CalMag (3ML/Gallon) and AMhydro's Dark Energy and Supernova, at different strengths of course. I know the humboldt nutes are not coco specific but I goofed on that when I bought them and didn't want to waste them...seems to not be much of an issue in both the past and present.

I will post some pics when my camera battery charges.

Peace

bloads

bloads

My local shop was out of canna, so I decided to go with B'cuzz. Haven't opened it yet, but I'm glad I just read this thread. I'll be returning it and going to a dif shop for canna.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I just ran a test sample from one of several bales I just received from one of my favorite (and most trusted) suppliers of bulk organic nutes/amends. The initial runoff (using RO'd water) had a 2800 ppm reading.:confused0054:
A second soak/flush brought the effluent runoff down to 500 ppm. What this means is that I now have to deal w/ a lot of unidentified crap, (most likely sodium chloride/sea salt) that the processor didn't want to have to deal with.

This is a helpful bit of info relating to salt/build-up in coir that I pulled from another forum:

The Fundamentals of Coir (the good, the bad, and the ugly).

The coconut palm, unlike many other plants’, is a salt tolerant plant. What happens with salt tolerant plants’ is that they uptake salt and displace it to areas of the plant where the salt can do the least harm.

In the case of the coconut palm the salt is displaced to the coir – the very thing that we use as a growing media. This means coir can contain high levels of salt (sodium chloride), something which can prove toxic to many/most plants.

On top of this coir contains large amounts of potassium and quantities of other elements. What this means is that coir requires special treatment to ensure a premium quality hydroponic media product is supplied to the end user. Analysis of Coco Coir Sample S 1978 P 126 K (Potassium) 3700* Na (Sodium) 2022 * Ca 119 Mg 104 Cu Zn 3.2 Mn 3.8 Fe 12.2 B 7 Cl (Chloride) 3498* All figures refer to parts per million (ppm). Above, is an analysis of one batch of hydrated coco coir.

It is easy to see that coco coir contains varying levels of micro and macro elements. The most significant elements in the analysis are the high potassium levels and the extremely high sodium and chloride levels (sodium chloride = salt). Potassium competes with magnesium and calcium while sodium competes with potassium for uptake. Furthermore, sodium chloride can be highly toxic to certain species of plants; even in relatively low levels, sodium chloride can have devastating effects on root health and development. For instance, this batch of coco coir caused phytotoxicity (yellowing of leaves, rusting/burning, sick plants etc) when trialled under controlled conditions next to another product that performed well.

Source of Material Coir derived from palms that are grown 50kms inland will have far less sodium chloride present than coir that is derived from palms that are grown close to the sea. That is, less sodium chloride present in the soil results in less sodium chloride in the coir. The origin of the coir is an important factor in determining the quality of the end product. Flushing and Buffering In order to prepare the raw coir product for use it is necessary to flush plentiful amounts of water through the product to wash out impurities (including sodium chloride). Premium grade coir is then buffered with various elements to prepare the coir for use. This requires flushing the coir with mineral elements in order to compensate for potentially problematic levels of sodium chloride and potassium (and other elements where required).

For instance, Iron is sometimes used to offset sodium chloride while magnesium and calcium is used to compensate for the naturally present, often high levels of potassium and phosphorous (While potassium and phosphorous are naturally used by plants and are beneficial elements, extreme levels of these elements can result in imbalanced nutrition and mineral element lockout). Typically, most suppliers of hydrated coir only flush the media and do not buffer it. This can prove detrimental to plant vigor and health, particularly in early growth.

Symptoms of toxicity include: • Rusting (particularly on leaf edges) • Yellowing • Slow stunted growth • Mineral deficiencies (due to uptake problems) • Purpling of stem Treatment/Age of Raw Product Coco coir has a shelf life where optimum performance is concerned (due to organic decomposition factors). Ideally the raw coir used in hydroponic medias should be less than two years old. Older coir is difficult to manage and will not last as long as newer coir.

Tips for using Coir Run-to-waste regime

After many years of experimenting in coir, both in indoor and outdoor settings, with various crops I have found that running a 25% - 30% waste regime is the most user friendly means of growing in coir. The 25 – 30% waste regime ensures that salt buildup in the media is kept to a minimum, and means flushing is typically never required; the agricultural standard being a 30% waste regime with the runoff being no more than 0.4EC higher than the original nutrient feed.

EC can be tested in the runoff and be compared to the nutrient EC. Air Porosity Typically, the bagged (hydrated) coir products sold via hydroponic outlets consists of fine particles and coir dust. While this means excellent fluid retention, it also means less than ideal air porosity in the media. Adding Perlite to the media will increase air porosity. A 60% coir to 40% Perlite mix being ideal (50/50 is also OK).

Another means of increasing air porosity is by mixing larger coir particles into the coir fines/dust, thus lifting the media and achieving a similar effect to a coir/perlite mix. pH Ideally, the nutrient should be maintained at between 6.1 (grow) and 6.3 (bloom). pH cannot be measured in the runoff. Ie. The runoff does not accurately reflect what is happening within the coir where pH is concerned. To test the pH of coir, take a sample of the coir from the root zone and add 1 part of coir to 5 parts of distilled water, shake and measure pH.

B

blueecho

I have had nothing but a good experience with Bcuzz!! Been using it for a few years and run Bio-canna, and some other organicare supplements. Haven't tried any other brands, I know Royal gold is garbage though!! I know of a batch that was atleast, could be good now though. I was told they reverse engineered Bcuzz to see what ingredients were missing from there own....

I

IVIars

I like Riococo Green Starters. It comes with all three types of coco, chunky, fibers, and pyth. PH from 5.6-6.4 but the EC is 2.5. They came in compressed blocks, so i soaked them and rinsed twice to get my EC down. I can only find one place in the us that sells it. Its a bit more expensive than the rest, but i like its mixture.

GodZsoN

GodZsoN

I also am running bcuzz.. Wish I could get my hands on canna but not where I'm at.. I don't flush it or prewash.. Never had a problem.. But when one of the hydro stores start to carry canna I'll make the switch.. Its all coming from india anyways..

B

Barry Bonds

I have used the gold label and it works very well but if you've got the choice or the money I'd go with canna.

B

Barry Bonds

Just did an upot few days ago into a bunch of bcuzz and noticed Ph issues. Tested runoff and Ph was 6.8 and I feed at 5.8. The Ppm was 20 over what I put in. So I grabbed some out of the bag fresh and tested it and it was at 6.8 with 5.0 ro water going in wtf!!! 72 5 gal Homer buckets all doing the same. I'm panicking. Anyone have this same problem? Should I start flushing with a much lower Ppm to adjust? Bcuzz website says Ph can be anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 but I feel 6.8 is too hi. Thanks for any help and apologize if I'm semi jacking your thread just felt like a good place to ask. Much love

Top Bottom