U.F.O led lights

• Thread starter dopeeyes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dopeeyes

Im currently using a 400w hps aand trying to think of ways cutting costs.Seen those ufos and was wondering has any1 used them before ? if so i have a few questions R they any use ? do they yeild the same as a hps ? are they any good in growtents ?

any info i would b grateful

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
dopeyes: A member here, British Hempire, has more experience than most with this subject. His opinion after building many led arrays and doing multiple grow experiments - UFO is only for supplementary lighting as is not nearly an adequate replacement for a 400 watt hps. One one that would come close as is commercially available cost $1300. Not worth it unless you build your own.

Here's his thread which is a must read:

BTW - I still want to do the same thing

J

jdubz206

there's a thread on another site where a dude yielded 41 grams off a full crop with a ufo or similar led light. stick w/hps if you can. i've seen nice work with t5's too...

mace

mace

When taking LED's you still need to factor in ROR (rate of return). Surely the LED light will cost more initially but if you factor cost over time vs. investment in/investment out, LED's outperform HPS. I've going LED's on my next setup, but starting small and scalling up this time to help with the cost vs. benefit on the initial runs.

As other's noted, British hemp was projecting 3grams per watt, that far out performs the best HPS grows where the holy grail is roughly 1 gram per watt.

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I've yet to see any LED grow come close to HPS in flower.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I've yet to see any LED grow come close to HPS in flower.

Exactly..... and a gram a watt is far from the holy grail with hps lighting

The french canadian cats a Therome have the best technology goin and they were at about 2grand for basically a 18" footprint and since it doesn't really have a giant array the focal range is pretty specific and small. It takes a few years to offset your initial investment against operating cost and then there is that difference in yield stickin it's ugly head up there..

Tex

S

sh2ft2

from my little bit of research ufo are overpriced right now maybe in acouple of years the ufo technology will be comparable to a 400

B

BrandNew2THIS

I just bought my first lights and am I glad I made my pick after reading this article. I almost went with the Led thats in the sept 10th annual grow gear of the year High Times. But damn am I glad I bought some shop lights that are T8s for cloning like the guy at the shop told me to he said its either that or the single bulb T5s and using two of them but the mounting work alone on that would have killed my neck and probably my back too. So I got those I bought 4 2 bulb ones and I got some 6500k bulbs like he told me to. I also purchased from his shop for veg a 400 digital future brite and a mh bulb he threw in from solar max. I also got a gropro dual 600 watt hps ballast for flower and two air cooled hoods he had recomended. The guy actually because I was gettling low on cash gave me a fan and a charcoal filter and told me to pay him next month for it. My first time spending real money in his shop. I had been there once before to get nutrients and she some lady recomended fox farm for my first time growing strawberrys as its simple and cheap and gets great results she promised. So I bought their line with the three pack part too. I want someone to guide me on setting this up I am really new to this and have read jorges bible and a couple other books been reading around this forum and one other one but this one seems better. Dont want to give out the name in public and make any enemys but if anyone wants to know which forum I don't recomend pm me. I dont yet have a digital camera or I would include pictures. I am on a fixed income so it might be a bit. But please someone describe to me the best way to set this stuff up like should I just hang it all in one room? and try to seperate the flower area with a big curtain?

S

SinseSage

cfl's are turning out to work really well for a cheap price, when i get out of work i will post link to a very impressive cfl growbox from another forum. :)

H

hongkong

ufos are overpriced and dont put out the usable lumens they claim to. that does not mean however that leds are useless. a friend of mine goes to school for sustainable living and has informed me that he has grown vegetables with great success using leds. the trick is wiring them yourself. he told me to build a frame and make a net of lights that you raise with your plant. through collaborative thinking we came up with the idea to have that tight knit net of lights on top that you raise. but also wire leds every 6 inches, leaving space for the plants to grow through. theoretically this would be amazing because with a secure hydro set up you could not only have light surrounding your plants, but also use the stranded lights as support for your buds. i hope this inspires some of you! personally i need to touch up on my electrician skills before i mess with all of that.

F

Finalopagus

I only know of micro growers tote'ten the LED.
Guy put a couple in a beer can and....

yielded 2 grams.

I think it is great stuff to play with not work with. 2cent

mace

mace

I have a LED grow going in the indoor forum on this site, but other than the therouminnovation light that has been mentioned i recently found one other i would recommend.

The Generation 3 model of UFO LED light from htgsupply (can be found on ebay) looks to be all the right wavelengths you need. I plan on buying these lights from now on as i can't currently beat the price by much building it myself.

U

upnorthclones

there's a thread on another site where a dude yielded 41 grams off a full crop with a ufo or similar led light. stick w/hps if you can. i've seen nice work with t5's too...

That is pretty horrible, I would be pissed to spend so much on a gimmick and get 41 grams from a crop.

Pissed at MYSELF, for being a dildo! Come on LED's who are you kidding?

U

upnorthclones

If you have some extra cash to burn this is a sweet light

And this is the light of the future.....Plasma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGsM9pplUs

I can't wait until these are available, same spectrum as the sun with little heat.

Throw some cold water on the plasma bulbs idea. It comes up now and then but I tell you what I worked in a hydro shop in 2003 and at that time we had 5 or 6 full sets of plasma light tubes, 20' long with the bulbs and ballasts and they were sitting in the scrap heap from the previous owner. If it worked well it would be working well. It's not working well so where does that leave us?

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I use 2 UFO's in veg and no problems at all . Stick to HPS for flower

L

lordorion420

I hope there will be LED that perform as good as a HPS someday

C

coldnorth

anybody have something to say about these? seems alittle cheap to me! 90w led för 70 euros maby!

mace

mace

anybody have something to say about these? seems alittle cheap to me! 90w led för 70 euros maby!

Taken from British hemps thread :
http://i105.invalid.com/albums/m213/big_buddha_photos/LED%20lights/LuxeonARRAYSpectraADJUSTED2.jpg

The green line is Chlorophyll A, the blue line is Chlorophyll B, as you can see, my Array is missing any light in the 470nm band where Chlorophyll b has am absorption peak, so I may well add some 470nm blue LEDs to my array.

Seems to me that the Array you posted has 650 nm RED's which, as you can see from the graph above, is the correct wavelength for one line of chlorophyll. Up to you if you want to risk it not actually being the LED's they say, but seems to me they would work as supplemental lighting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom