• Start date
  • Tagged users None
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

The Significance of US Govt Cannabinoid Patent 6,630,507
by:
Brinna Nanda
July 23, 2008, 01:05am

When I was at the Patients Out of Time Medical Cannabis conference in Asilomar this last April, I overheard a remark that startled me: "The US Government has a patent on cannabis." I couldn't locate the person who made the comment, so I went home and did some online research. Sure enough, patent number 6,630,507 states unequivocally that cannabinoids are useful in the prevention and treatment of a wide variety of diseases including auto-immune disorders, stroke, trauma, Parkinson's, Alzeheimer's and HIV dementia. The patent, awarded in 2003, is based on research done by the National Institute of Health, and is assigned to the US Dept. of Health and Human Services.

So, why is this important? Here is a legal document, in the public domain, which flies in the face of the US Government's stated position with regard to the classification of cannabis as a Schedule I substance having no "currently accepted medical use". Believe me, citing this patent stops the "medical marijuana is a myth" advocates dead in their tracks. They simply cannot argue with it. The forces that would keep cannabis illegal are vocal and well funded, but they are not impervious to persistent effort. The lynch pin in the War on Drugs is cannabis. Without the suppression and interdiction of this popular and widely used substance, there simply would not be enough "illegal drug use" going on to justify the huge amount of money and resources spent on "fighting drugs."

I believe disseminating information about this patent as widely as possible, and to as many people as possible is a crucial strategy in loosening that lynch pin, and changing public perception about cannabis. I, personally, downloaded the first page of this patent and sent a copy (with the assignee highlighted) to every one of my elected representatives. I have also included information about it in "letters to the editor" referencing any cannabis related news story I come across, I use it as an argument in every State medical cannabis and decriminalization initiative, and have mentioned it in all my comments to online posts and blogs of the same nature. I would be delighted if everyone who believes the War on Drugs is a failed and destructive policy, would do the same, until the existence of this irrefutable patent becomes widely held public knowledge, and government 's rhetoric is shown to be as hollow as a busted drum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what's it gonna be, Obama? You're in charge of the Fascist Government that can't figure out what they want, other than more and more power and control over the VOTERS. I will tattoo this on my forehead if I ever have to face a federal judge. Maybe people will wake the f up and demand some accountability from the government. Deliberate ignorance is anathema to me.

"Welcome to the United Snakes... Land of the Thief, Home of the Slave" -Brother Ali

ps. I have a HUGE forehead. It goes all the way back to my neck...lol

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

thats so fu%ked :(

good post altitudefarmer! :joint:

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Leave it to the DEA to be the medical experts as they all have medical degree's... or is it a degree in finance, that they in fact have? They would never alow their cash cow to become re-scheduled.

Illmind

Illmind

soo many lies i dont know where to begin. i hope the newspaper doesn't lie this much about everything. guess they're not done getting all that big pharma money and don't like competition. gonna be awhile i'm grabbing a snickers. maybe we should turn all the politicians childs into potheads so they have no choice but to lighten penalties. fuckin dicks are playing hard ball.

joeca1i

joeca1i

yup bunch of puppets.Pay me big pharma,and I'll say whatever, you tell me to say.

convex

convex

So how credible is the DEA as an authority?

How many commercials do we see on a daily basis for class action suits against pharma for DEA approved drugs that have proven to be harmful years after securing the market place???

I would like to see a matrix PROVING every drugs efficiacy compared to marijuana for like approved treatments.

Time to start watching the watchers!!!

C

cymbaline

soo many lies i dont know where to begin. i hope the newspaper doesn't lie this much about everything. guess they're not done getting all that big pharma money and don't like competition. gonna be awhile i'm grabbing a snickers. maybe we should turn all the politicians childs into potheads so they have no choice but to lighten penalties. fuckin dicks are playing hard ball.

guarantee you will find more papers/news sources that only repeat the Press release or only give part of the story than you will find news sources being impartial and giving the whole story. Journalism is a joke these days. Especially with people like Murdoch having a monopoly on so many major news outlets. Even this Latimes article is nothing more than a copy and paste with no real meat. Just the DEA spin.

toning it down some..:mad0233:

convex

convex

Most poignant point in the article:

The DEA's decision comes as researchers continue to identify beneficial effects. Dr. Igor Grant, a neuropsychiatrist who is the director of the Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research at UC San Diego, said state-supported clinical trials show that marijuana helps with neuropathic pain and muscle spasticity. He said the federal government's position discourages scientists from pursuing research needed to test the drug's medical effectiveness. "We're trapped in kind of a vicious cycle here," he said. "It's always a danger if the government acts on certain kinds of persuasions or beliefs rather than evidence."

jagle

jagle

AltitudeFarmer is correct, ive heard this before, went to the patent website

heres the link to the patent on cannabis by the american government

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...6,630,507.PN.&OS=PN/6,630,507&RS=PN/6,630,507

why doent ye start getting in contact with your representatives and inform them that is a load of BS

Regards

The Significance of US Govt Cannabinoid Patent 6,630,507
by:
Brinna Nanda
July 23, 2008, 01:05am

When I was at the Patients Out of Time Medical Cannabis conference in Asilomar this last April, I overheard a remark that startled me: "The US Government has a patent on cannabis." I couldn't locate the person who made the comment, so I went home and did some online research. Sure enough, patent number 6,630,507 states unequivocally that cannabinoids are useful in the prevention and treatment of a wide variety of diseases including auto-immune disorders, stroke, trauma, Parkinson's, Alzeheimer's and HIV dementia. The patent, awarded in 2003, is based on research done by the National Institute of Health, and is assigned to the US Dept. of Health and Human Services.

So, why is this important? Here is a legal document, in the public domain, which flies in the face of the US Government's stated position with regard to the classification of cannabis as a Schedule I substance having no "currently accepted medical use". Believe me, citing this patent stops the "medical marijuana is a myth" advocates dead in their tracks. They simply cannot argue with it. The forces that would keep cannabis illegal are vocal and well funded, but they are not impervious to persistent effort. The lynch pin in the War on Drugs is cannabis. Without the suppression and interdiction of this popular and widely used substance, there simply would not be enough "illegal drug use" going on to justify the huge amount of money and resources spent on "fighting drugs."

I believe disseminating information about this patent as widely as possible, and to as many people as possible is a crucial strategy in loosening that lynch pin, and changing public perception about cannabis. I, personally, downloaded the first page of this patent and sent a copy (with the assignee highlighted) to every one of my elected representatives. I have also included information about it in "letters to the editor" referencing any cannabis related news story I come across, I use it as an argument in every State medical cannabis and decriminalization initiative, and have mentioned it in all my comments to online posts and blogs of the same nature. I would be delighted if everyone who believes the War on Drugs is a failed and destructive policy, would do the same, until the existence of this irrefutable patent becomes widely held public knowledge, and government 's rhetoric is shown to be as hollow as a busted drum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what's it gonna be, Obama? You're in charge of the Fascist Government that can't figure out what they want, other than more and more power and control over the VOTERS. I will tattoo this on my forehead if I ever have to face a federal judge. Maybe people will wake the f up and demand some accountability from the government. Deliberate ignorance is anathema to me.

"Welcome to the United Snakes... Land of the Thief, Home of the Slave" -Brother Ali

ps. I have a HUGE forehead. It goes all the way back to my neck...lol

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Jagle, contacting our politicians IS our only recourse, other than spreading the word on this hideous double standard. There are GOOD people in BAD prisons right now just so the fucking feds can make a dollar. What boggles my mind is that the ignorant masses STILL believe we live in a 'free' country. What a joke.
Too bad the politicians won't give the voters the time of day unless there's a ton of cash involved or they're worried about re-election. Representation my ass.
Can you tell this topic really gets under my skin? :)

jagle

jagle

Too bad the politicians won't give the voters the time of day unless there's a ton of cash involved or they're worried about re-election. Representation my ass.
Can you tell this topic really gets under my skin? :)

I feel the same way man, i reall wish you could slap intelligence and common sense into people

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
*My* representative is Dan Lungren. He's not very receptive when it comes to cannabis.
It's not just big pharma that we have to worry about here. There's a wedding taking place, a marriage made in hell. Big pharmaceutical companies ARE going to marry with big agri-business.

How do I know? California's Hemp Farming bill's recent passage.

S

SLO Grown

I declare the DEA has no healthy benefits and should be forbidden. Again, Big Pharma calls the shots! And the DEA does this for them. Got to keep the "fat cat's" happy so the DEA can keep their 70 billion dollar a year budget intact.....

Like I teach my Pre-release inmates, "It's a policy problem not a drug problem."

Illmind

Illmind

all i know is big pharma got my city on lock. was the highest for overdoses like 2005-2008. and they just now realize a problem.

Top Bottom