U.S. House Repeals MMJ Provision

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

U.S. House Repeals Provision Prohibiting Washington, D.C. from Enacting Medical Marijuana; Nation’s Capital Could Soon Join 13 States That Have Legalized Marijuana for Medical Use
1998 Provision of Federal Law Overturned Voter-Passed Medical Marijuana Law and Banned the City from Ever Lowering Penalties for Marijuana
The Congressional Action on Medical Marijuana is Latest in Rapidly Increasing Momentum to Change U.S. Marijuana Laws

WASHINGTON - July 17 -

The U.S. House of Representatives passed legislation today removing a federal provision that bars the nation’s capital from legalizing marijuana for medical use. The provision, nicknamed the Barr Amendment after its author, former Republican Congressman Bob Barr, who now supports repealing the amendment, was passed in 1998 in response to a medical marijuana initiative approved by 69% of Washington, D.C. voters. The Barr Amendment overturned the medical marijuana law and prohibited the city from ever reducing penalties for marijuana or other Schedule I drugs - even for medical use. The provision is so broad that legal experts believe it even prohibits the city from passing treatment-instead-of-incarceration legislation diverting people arrested for marijuana, heroin or other Schedule I drugs to drug treatment instead of jail.

“D.C. residents voted for medical marijuana, cancer and AIDS patients deserve access to medicine, and it’s a disgrace that Congress ever passed the Barr Amendment,” said Bill Piper, director of national affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance. “Congress can bring some sanity to federal marijuana laws and support the will of D.C. voters by overturning this undemocratic law.”

If adopted by both branches of Congress, D.C. will be free to once again enact medical marijuana legislation. Already 13 states have legalized marijuana for medical use. The congressional action on medical marijuana is only the latest in growing momentum in favor of reforming U.S. marijuana laws. Rhode Island legislators expanded their state’s medical marijuana law earlier this year, establishing compassion centers to distribute marijuana directly to patients. The New Jersey Assembly passed medical marijuana legislation earlier this year and the state’s Senate will take up the issue later this year. Minnesota and New Hampshire legislatures recently passed legislation legalizing marijuana for medical use, but the bills were vetoed by each state’s governor.

bong dog

bong dog

bees & sheep can actually learn to be real men & women.

it's just a shame it takes so much time for the transformation unplugging from the matrix !

thx. for sharing that good news calli. Namaste

D

dhhbomb

its good news way i see it a state at a time we only need like 10 more states to have half the states with medical i think when it get there feds might adopt a medical policy then eventually legalizattion

I

indodoja

this is awesome! pretty soon asshole police will be attending retraining and sensitivity classes, instead of being encouraged to fuck as many victims as they can in a drug war.

cooper1

cooper1

i dont get it so you cant be put in jail for weed just treatment ?? can some one explain to me

R

redog

re:indodoja

this is awesome! pretty soon asshole police will be attending retraining and sensitivity classes, instead of being encouraged to fuck as many victims as they can in a drug war.

Never happen.Not in my lifetime.Your comment did make me laugh.It would make a great comedy sketch don't you think?

Coop:they passed legislation removing the provision.
This was the provision:
Prohibited the city from ever reducing penalties for marijuana or other Schedule I drugs - even for medical use.
This is a good thing.

I

indodoja

optimistic idealism i guess.
it would be great if power didn't turn every pig into a cocksucker with a god complex though.

K

Kalcu

No it wouldn't, it would be better if they were closer to God then it is easier to shoot them.
That really isn't the issue, it's the look that you give if you do look.

Wild that they have to open a door just talk, really MMJ in DC on as law and not for every other state.

MMJ is a spirit so obviously it has nothing to do with the herb.

B

blueglass70

Sensitivity training, don't you mean that cops could start smoking openly just like the rest of us would. Why do you think they only confiscate the good weed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom