UC evo 12 site HELP

• Thread starter TheColt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheColt

So I got the system put together last night and I am only running 4k of lighting as opposed to the 6k suggested. I have Raptor hoods which completely fill the grow space with only 4 of them, this was my limiting factor in terms of lighting. Do you think I would see a huge yield difference if I bought smaller reflectors and went the 6k route?

Next question is in terms of growth height. The ceiling is only 7 ft tall, so after the 13g bucket is in and the light is raised as high as it can go, I only have 47 inches between the bottom of the light and the top of the buckets. Do you think if I scrog I can avoid height problems and increase the yield?

Thanks guys!

T

TheColt

Thanks for the reply Deacon, I am trying to avoid using AC by venting the hoods very well, so adjust a wing is kind of out of the question. Where I live temps dont get above 70 year round and it's sub-ground level. I'm trying to achieve a high yielding set-up with light efficiency in mind. If I did throw 6k lights and got rid of the raptor reflectors, will the yield to light ratio be as good or worse?

F

FrostyTheGroMan

I myself have been going through the same dilemma... Would it be better to have 4 1000's or 6 600's covering a 12 site Evo? UC used to recommend 6 1000's but have recently changed their recommendation to 6 600's.... Does anyone have any insite as to what the best set up would be??

T

TheColt

I myself have been going through the same dilemma... Would it be better to have 4 1000's or 6 600's covering a 12 site Evo? UC used to recommend 6 1000's but have recently changed their recommendation to 6 600's.... Does anyone have any insite as to what the best set up would be??

I can tell you that the Raptor reflectors fill the entire grow footprint on the dot! I think these reflectors will be unmatched for scrog, but in terms of yield, I'm curious how much more, if any at all, 6 1000's would bring instead of 4 1000's with the same plant number and spacing...

D

DreaminBig1207

ive got 2 of the evo 15 site side by side, one with 6k ochos and the other with 4k raptors, only ran the ochos last round they completely covered my uc system and they recommended 8k but i had 5k on because of ballast problems and pulled almost 8lbs with no co2, turning both rooms on with co2 this round hoping to pull 12lbs under 6k and 8lbs under the 4k so well c.

I caged mine then scrogged mine a bit, they were trees but didnt reach over 5 feet tall and sativa strain, scrogg them early around like 20 or 25 inchs above the buckets IMO.

T

TheColt

Dreamingbig, I saw your thread with the 6k and was pretty impressed, are the Ochos 6 inch air cooled or 8? And thanks for the advice on scrog, my goal is 8 pounds with the 4 lights no co2, we'll see lol. You'll have to let me know how you yield on the 4 raptors.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

You can almost never have too much light. 6k will out preform 4k by a factor of 50%, the return is well worth it. The 600w are more efficient than 1000w but do not beat them in output. For your limited height I would go with 8 vertical 600w vs 4 1000w horizontal , thats only 800w more than the 1000w. and less heat. Your issue is height and heat created by low ceiling and bulb close to plant.. So 600 makes sense IMHO

T

TheColt

So you think I should run vertical 600's for a scrog instead of horizontal? And how would that create less heat than vented lights? Thank you so much for the information!

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

My mistake, horizontal for SCROG, I found my room runs cooler with wings, cool tubes do work but they also hold heat and so your cooling the heat from the light and also the heat absorbed by the cool tube from the light. Hot air rises so I have a fan at ceiling level that kicks on when the temp hits 80. 600w produce less heat than 1000w.

T

TheColt

I have exhaust and intake going full blast all the time too keep humidity, temps, and a negative pressure on the room so there is no smell leaks...is this efficient or no?

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
I run a mix of horizontal and verticals with very good success. Personally I would leave the 4k watts and add some 250 watts on the outside and in the middle between them. I run 6 site systems with 2k over the top and (4) 250 watt verticals on the outside. I run the verticals in cooltubes with air ducting out the top. You can stress the plants with too much light keeping them from growing at max capacity....its just like adding too much nutrient. Alot of lighting and nutrient is good but when pushing the envelope there is a fine line between what is the most productive and stressing the plant too much. 1000 watt fixtures are the most efficient of all lamp sizes when it comes to "watts to lumens" but do create 40% less heat than a 600 watt.

Here is a pic of one of our systems almost setup.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

do you use AC as well at the hood coolers, and do you use the chiller VS an AC unit. I understand that chillers are 50% more effective at cooling than an AC unit.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
do you use AC as well at the hood coolers, and do you use the chiller VS an AC unit. I understand that chillers are 50% more effective at cooling than an AC unit.

I just run Ice Boxes and a 3 hp chiller. There's another identical setup on the other side of the room. 6k watts in flower and 1k watt in veg plus a co2 generator.

Chillers are more efficient than an a/c but the percentage can vary. Chillers probably are 50% more efficient than a 10 seer a/c but its probably closer to 30% on a 20 seer a/c unit. I have personally seen a 2 hp chillking cooling 8k watts with a water-cooled co2 generator, it ran constantly but it would keep the room 82-84. We tested that particular chiller and it was putting out 2.5 tons and only using a 2 ton compressor. I know that 4k watts is max on a 2hp a/c unit so the fact that this 2 hp chiller, although struggling, was handling double. I would never recommend that someone do this btw, it was undersized but got him through a harvest...then he bought a bigger chiller.

This is a picture of the fan and ice box wall mounted, each ducting attaches to the cooltubes and the cold air it blows out directly over the canopy keeping my canopy temps down. You can barely see this in the first picture, its behind the reflectors.

Top Bottom