UC Flavors and Organic

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Okay, admit it you undercurrent fiends. Your flavor is never 100% using ANY commercial nutes, especially when running a sterile res. Anyone run pure organics in their UC's? And I don't mean shit out of a bottle, I mean EWC teas, guanos, etc.

I was told that most kelp products aren't refined enough for UC/DWC because they carry algae and will cause blooms. Also, most sugar/carb sources will also encourage the wrong microbial growth, so tend to stay away from those.

But it seems you could do a full run with just compost and ewc teas, combined with various types of guanos. Maybe amend here and there with some cal mag supplements (I need to order some pure Calcium Oxide), and some kind of root zone product, i.e. Root Excel, Aquashield, etc.

Anyone running UC/DWC without the store bought bottles? Organic? Semi-organic?

And while were at it, anyone running a purely organic line out of the bottle? Such as Age Old or Earth Juice? I read about someone using Earth Nectar & Earth Ambrosia in their UC...how did that work out?

I have done some runs in the past using various sources of kelp, compost teas, and molasses, but it ended in root rotness. But the bud I did manage to salvage was some of the finest tasting ever to be grown in water. How can I reproduce this without the rot?

S

SofaKingHigh

I was in Oregon and a buddy who had been running a strain called Ice Cream in dirt for 2 years watched the UC blow up in his garage under little supervision from myself and decided to give hydroponics a first go. He made a copycat UC and googles "Deep Water Culture" to satisfy what the meaning of the culture part was.

Fast forward with an awesome montage, the acquisition of a $2k lab microscope and three bottles - Flora Nova Bloom, Earth Nectar and Earth Ambrosia. After getting the gist of the soil food web it just made total sense to try and emulate nature and be as organic as possible, though Flora Nova is still a hybrid nutrient of sorts it worked incredibly well.

Best batch of Ice Cream he'd grown and the last I'd heard from him he'd never try it any other way.

*Questioning why I haven't emulated the technique in the UC since.*

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

I was in Oregon and a buddy who had been running a strain called Ice Cream in dirt for 2 years watched the UC blow up in his garage under little supervision from myself and decided to give hydroponics a first go. He made a copycat UC and googles "Deep Water Culture" to satisfy what the meaning of the culture part was.

Fast forward with an awesome montage, the acquisition of a $2k lab microscope and three bottles - Flora Nova Bloom, Earth Nectar and Earth Ambrosia. After getting the gist of the soil food web it just made total sense to try and emulate nature and be as organic as possible, though Flora Nova is still a hybrid nutrient of sorts it worked incredibly well.

Best batch of Ice Cream he'd grown and the last I'd heard from him he'd never try it any other way.

*Questioning why I haven't emulated the technique in the UC since.*

Nice, yea, I've been considering the EA & EN technique. How did he use it? How often?

S

SofaKingHigh

He did res changes every 10 days. 1tsp per gallon.

Highly recommend calling the sister company in New Mexico, Trees That Please, as they sell large sizes of EA/EN cheap through mail order. :yes

B

Bobby Smith

Fast forward with an awesome montage, the acquisition of a $2k lab microscope and three bottles - Flora Nova Bloom, Earth Nectar and Earth Ambrosia.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPFCHuEegsk[/YOUTUBE]

M

MediMary

well for whatever its worth, in my previous experience using earth nectar ambrosia, I think its goes bad pretty quick.

I live in new mexico, and have used mikes products quite a bit, not knocking them, great stuff.

that ambrosia makes cleaning a pain as well, worth it though if the flavor its kickin

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yup mang I been wondering about that myself - we will see - could be a deciding factor if Im even gonna run UC again

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9Uwhjlog8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

well for whatever its worth, in my previous experience using earthnectar ambrosia, I think its goes bad pretty quick.
I live in new mexico, and have used mikes products quite a bit.

Don't they say on the bottle that you should use it within 1 hour of mixing it up? Its designed for soil, DTW, so what happens to all the microbes after they die? Eaten by other microbes? Fall-out? Gunk?

S

SofaKingHigh

Here's the label.

Ambrosia2%20dan%20edit.jpg

M

MediMary

it says, you can use in the hydroponic res.

add 1/2 to 1 tsp of boh EA and EN per gallon of water when performing a fresh water flush, recommends doing a fresh water flush once every two weeks, I much much preferred doing it like that.

It also says you can run continuously in the res at the lower dose.

that ambrosia coats everything, kinda leaves a bit of a film if you leave it the whole time.

I have done both though, in my experiences I have had better results with the flush than running constantly.

I would also like to say I used it in my cloner multiple times, and every single time the clones would root slower.
Would not use it again.
My cleaning tip

When using the aero cloners, unscrew the misters, tape the holes shut, pour salt in the pvc with alcohol and shake the fuck out of it.
the salt knocks off all the shit that gets gunked up if you try put it in your cloner.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
yup mang I been wondering about that myself - we will see - could be a deciding factor if Im even gonna run UC again

[YOUTUBE]JU9Uwhjlog8[/YOUTUBE]
I'm curious why you would say that brah... Seems like a lot of peeps are switching after one or a few runs... I mean in it's basic form it's a RDWC. Is RDWC not as good compared to other growing methods? I can see the decision being affected by the potential crop loss and the obvious cost factor of electricity to run the pumps and chiller that's not needed in a simple hand watering coco or soil grow... :thinking

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I'm curious why you would say that brah... Seems like a lot of peeps are switching after one or a few runs... I mean in it's basic form it's a RDWC. Is RDWC not as good compared to other growing methods? I can see the decision being affected by the potential crop loss and the obvious cost factor of electricity to run the pumps and chiller that's not needed in a simple hand watering coco or soil grow... :thinking

well its just one factor I will consider - but its a huge one

I have always gotten good compliments on the flavor and smell of my smoke - I like a combination of low ppm synthetic main nutes and additives from natural sources - hopefully I can simulate what I have done in the past

I have had naysayers since day 1 telling me I wont be happy with the taste - would love to prove them wrong

another thing to consider is I have not spent the dough on a chiller yet that I wouldnt need if I went to large containers w/ coco - right now my water high temp is 69 but by march (about when Ill finish this run) Im sure it will be warmer here and there will be no chance of a second run w/o one

I have never had issues with root rot, algae and sudden death syndrome and I dont want to experience it

power outages here is another potential mishap that could wipe my shit out

the best yield I have got from the wifi so far is from coco using just 3 and 5 gal buckets - if the uc doesnt match or beat that Im not sure its gonna be worth it to run that as my main setup in the long run

a lot of stuff for me to weigh - besides the wifi

you know me shady - I get bored and have to move on to the next flavor of the month

but hey Im just in second guess myself mode right now - if I rip it up and the bud is as dank as I know it can be and the numbers come in it will be hot tub party round 2 - thinking about blueberry for my second round

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Thx for the thoughtful response bud... It will be nice to see how this all plays out, especially from the front lines... I'm dedicated to perfect my skillz in all the mediums I try, and the resultant quality of herb is my number one priority. On another note, I hope that WiFi doesn't get boring anytime soon... :thinking

M

Mmmmasonite

Okay, admit it you undercurrent fiends. Your flavor is never 100% using ANY commercial nutes, especially when running a sterile res. Anyone run pure organics in their UC's? And I don't mean shit out of a bottle, I mean EWC teas, guanos, etc.

I was told that most kelp products aren't refined enough for UC/DWC because they carry algae and will cause blooms. Also, most sugar/carb sources will also encourage the wrong microbial growth, so tend to stay away from those.

But it seems you could do a full run with just compost and ewc teas, combined with various types of guanos. Maybe amend here and there with some cal mag supplements (I need to order some pure Calcium Oxide), and some kind of root zone product, i.e. Root Excel, Aquashield, etc.

Anyone running UC/DWC without the store bought bottles? Organic? Semi-organic?

And while were at it, anyone running a purely organic line out of the bottle? Such as Age Old or Earth Juice? I read about someone using Earth Nectar & Earth Ambrosia in their UC...how did that work out?

I have done some runs in the past using various sources of kelp, compost teas, and molasses, but it ended in root rotness. But the bud I did manage to salvage was some of the finest tasting ever to be grown in water. How can I reproduce this without the rot?

Use Roots Excelurator by House and Garden.This product is without a doubt the most powerful rooting stimulant available. It works by forming a membrane around roots and protecting them from harmful bacteria and fungus. Roots Excelurator will not only protect your plants from harmful root disease, but it will also cure existing cases of root rot.
Derived From: Organic biological organisms, Ammonium Nitrate, and Potassium Hydroxide.
I have never had root rot since I started using to this product years ago. I was so impressed with it and their Bud XL, I eventually switched to the whole line. You only use 1ml. a gal. so you get 250 gallons worth for around $70. Peace and good luck.

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

Well mother load I been second guessing myself for a while with the UC. I do know that I have gotten my biggest yield ever from the UC. I got around 3.5 #s of 2k in my 8xl. That grow was healthy the entire grow with no bull shit along the way. If you can keep em healthy the entire run your gonna kill it in the UC. My taste has never really been lacking because I always flush for 7-10 days. I did some PK in coco last round and some in the UC and they tasted the same to me.
BG

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Anyone use Pure Vida in UC/RDWC?

I have been playing with EWC and Guano teas now on 1 res. The other day, I had a power outage for like 8 hours. No air pumps, nada...got really cold in there too, like in the low 50s. Wasn't a good situation! Now, I got some slime I'm fighting. My temps never got hot, and my pH is rising. All the symptoms of brown algae. The only system without the slime and growing beautifully with bright white roots....the one with the ewc and guano teas in it...go figure....looks like there maybe something to this after all!

Latest posts

Top Bottom