UC Systems with huge reservoirs - How do you change them?

• Thread starter Hythloth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hythloth

I'm planning on getting a UC 8XL, but they recommend a 75 gal reservoir. Is that much really necessary?

Also, when you guys drain your res to refresh the nute solution, how do you refill it so fast without leaving the plants with no water for so long? My RO unit can only make 5 gallons every 80 minutes so it would take like 20 hours to make 75 gallons..

Should I keep a 2nd res full of water that's ready to go before I drain my first res? Or maybe fill up the bath tub with RO water so i can pump it into my res? hah. Or maybe I just have the wrong idea about the whole process and you guys can clue me in.

Thanks for your help in advance.

H

Hythloth

U need an RO holding tank and a nutrient top off tank.

Ok thats what i thought. I'm thinking about using my extra bath tub for that, and just add a couple bubblers to keep the water fresh. Can't see any harm in it. Has anyone done that before?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I have a 8xl 13 gal systen and it holds 90gal. +- 4 to 10 gal. I looked everywhere for a solution that would fit through the door 32" and after weeks just put some barrels in. I purchased an ro system and so far so good, if your water pressure is below 50psi get a booster pump for the ro system. Here are a couple pics of my setup.

IMGP0950

IMGP0952

IMGP0953

IMGP0955

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
when I changed the water in my UC I did it transfusion style - had 1 large brute can with fresh nutes

I would take the "T" off in the epicenter and use the hose adapter that came with the UC to run a hose going to a drain

run the UCs pump til you hear it start to cavitate and turn it off - pump 5-7 gals into the uc and stop - then turn on the uc pump again til it cavitates - then another 5-7 gals fresh then pump it out one last time

whole thing took like 15 minutes

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Word to your motherlode! Or you can just leave the remaining nutes that the inline pump can't get out and then pump in the new mix... :cool

P.S. I'm diggin' your setup woodsmaneh... :rock

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
heres what I found. its called a doorway tank.
29" wide 400 gallons.

IMG 0217
C

calicoli

heres what I found. its called a doorway tank.
29" wide 400 gallons.

Yo, I just found those yesterday! Going to order me a 400g as well. Found it for 500 bucks at the tank store. Did you get it there?

peace

H

Hythloth

Very nice ideas here. Thanks guys. Im gonna have to see if i can find one of those doorway tanks in my area.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
you can find them at a rain harvesting supplier
sometimes theyre called closet tanks

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

Post the link on where you found this deal. What are the total measurements? 29" wide, x how tall and how deep?

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Thats plus shipping. Which can be $250-300

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

Thanks for the link. I know about Tank Depot. Just have never seen this particular style and what it was called.

Top Bottom