?uestion About Dimming Function On Digital Ballasts

• Thread starter ByrneBurnham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

Good afternoon fellow cultivators. I have a specific question regarding the dimming functions on Digital Ballasts....I currently own a brand new unused Nanolux 1000watt OG Series ballast which of course offers a dimming function.
My question is based on learning that the dimming function should never be used as it is not the optimal way to operate a ballast. My space available would dictate that a 400 watt type ballast would be most efficient and optimal for providing lighting for said space and I guess my main question is if operating a 1k watt ballast at 50% dimming is equivalent to operating a 500w equivalent light - or is it simply a situation that Im operating a ballast in a most inefficient and power wasting way ? I have read that operating a ballast in a dimming capacity is also increased and additional wear and tear on the higher wattage bulb which is rated for the ballast so I was hoping to ask the more experienced and knowledgeable cultivators out there for a clarification on this question. I do plan on contacting Nanolux directly to ask the same question but was hoping others may have already encountered such a scenario and may have the answer.....

I thank you in advance and most certainly appreciate any insight provided.

Happy growing to us all...m

N

noone88

The bulb is not designed to run at anything other than the specified wattage. So dimming it will reduce the spectrum as well as the lumens. In addition, it may reduce the lifespan of the bulb. Dimming function should be used temporarily.

If you need a permanent solution, you should get an appropriate-rated ballast and bulb.

mancdank

mancdank

Buy a bulb that is suited I use a 250w mh bulb in my 600w dimmable for veg and change to a 600w at the start of flower but only have it on the 400w setting for the 1st week then bump it up to 600w then for the last 10 days to 2 week I have it on super lumens (660) I have done this for years

ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

Buy a bulb that is suited I use a 250w mh bulb in my 600w dimmable for veg and change to a 600w at the start of flower but only have it on the 400w setting for the 1st week then bump it up to 600w then for the last 10 days to 2 week I have it on super lumens (660) I have done this for years

Noone88, mancdank - I absolutely appreciate your response and well explained answers and solutions.

Mancdank, I've come across a Nanolux FAQ where the following question was asked and I'll include Nanolux's response.
I have a 1000W ballast, can I use a 400W or 600W bulb in it?
No, ballasts can only be used with bulbs that are of the same wattage rating. A 1000W ballast can only be used with a 1000W bulb, a 400W with a 400W, etc.

@mancdank, now - I totally trust that you've been able to use a 250w MH bulb in your 600w ballast and that's actually what I was hoping to do (use a 400w bulb with my 1000w ballast) but that question I've copied and pasted above in Nanolux's FAQ section has lead me to believe that a 1000w ballast wouldn't ignite a lower wattage bulb.

I have seen ballasts who's dimming function shows the "steps" as 600w,400w, and 250w rather than 100%, 75%, and 50% and the OG Series ballasts uses the percentage as their dimming steps.....

I sooooo want to try your idea but I'm afraid that (worst case scenario) it won't work and may damage the ballast thus voiding the warranty on it (I'm not sure that its possible to damage the ballast using your idea as Im not too electrically astute).
Have you been able to use that 250w bulb in a Nanolux 600w ballast or is your ballast a different brand ?

Natural

Natural

Noone88, mancdank - I absolutely appreciate your response and well explained answers and solutions.

Mancdank, I've come across a Nanolux FAQ where the following question was asked and I'll include Nanolux's response.
No, ballasts can only be used with bulbs that are of the same wattage rating. A 1000W ballast can only be used with a 1000W bulb, a 400W with a 400W, etc.

@mancdank, now - I totally trust that you've been able to use a 250w MH bulb in your 600w ballast and that's actually what I was hoping to do (use a 400w bulb with my 1000w ballast) but that question I've copied and pasted above in Nanolux's FAQ section has lead me to believe that a 1000w ballast wouldn't ignite a lower wattage bulb.

I have seen ballasts who's dimming function shows the "steps" as 600w,400w, and 250w rather than 100%, 75%, and 50% and the OG Series ballasts uses the percentage as their dimming steps.....

I sooooo want to try your idea but I'm afraid that (worst case scenario) it won't work and may damage the ballast thus voiding the warranty on it (I'm not sure that its possible to damage the ballast using your idea as Im not too electrically astute).
Have you been able to use that 250w bulb in a Nanolux 600w ballast or is your ballast a different brand ?
you're 100% correct on the different ballasts..noone88 is also 100% correct about dimming a bulb..reduced spectrum and life. If you're gonna be dimming bulbs..be prepared to replace more often..simple
I use matrix ST's and here's what they say..

Can I use a different wattage lamp in the SolisTek 1000w digital ballast?

Yes, you can use different wattage lamps in the SolisTek 1000w digital ballast, however it is not recommended and you may experience shorter lamp life. A 1000 watt ballast outputs 200-250V to the lamp, while 400 &600 watt lamps operate on 100-150V to the lamp.

mancdank

mancdank

Mine are a diffrent brand I'm currently using the lumatek 600w 230v dimmable and maxibright max pro 600w 400v I use the same method for both types. Why would a company like nano make a dimmable ballast that can't be dimmed makes absolutely no sense 600 to 400 shouldn't be too much of an issue but I don't recommend 600 to 250 with a 600w bulb I have used this method for a very long time with absolutely no ill effects

MysteryMoog

MysteryMoog

I also run smaller wattage bulbs on my dimmable ballast . they are 400w vivosuns. It says not to do it also, but i have had no issues running 250w bulb in it, on the 250 setting. I run 4 of these like that.

Top Bottom