Under Sink Filter System,... Will this solve PH?

• Thread starter TipJar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TipJar

TipJar

I have water with PH outta the faucet around 7.8 I am wondering if one of those under the sink filters will make the water not so hard, or lower the PH automatically,...?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I have water with PH outta the faucet around 7.8 I am wondering if one of those under the sink filters will make the water not so hard, or lower the PH automatically,...?
Depending on which filter(s) you use, they can reduce hardness.., but you will still need to check ph. I have an RO system under the sink and after filtration (over 99% effective...), the PH out is still too high and needs correction. Also water that sits out will increase in PH for some reason.

newh

newh

my ro water is 8.1.municipal water is made alkaline to help with keeping the pipes clean

TipJar

TipJar

Depending on which filter(s) you use, they can reduce hardness.., but you will still need to check ph. I have an RO system under the sink and after filtration (over 99% effective...), the PH out is still too high and needs correction. Also water that sits out will increase in PH for some reason.

Can you tell me. I have 6 - 5 gallon buckets with pumps and water stones,... I should be able to make a 2 - 3 month grow the whole way without totally changing the water?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Can you tell me. I have 6 - 5 gallon buckets with pumps and water stones,... I should be able to make a 2 - 3 month grow the whole way without totally changing the water?
Sorry..I am a dirt farmer, but there are many hydro farmers here.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter

7.8 isn't bad for tap water. What's the PPM? You might want to invest in an RO system for hydro. This coming from a guy who has grown in soil and hydro for years without an RO filter. I wish I had gotten one a LONG time ago!

Depending on the nutrients you use, a lot of nutrients are made for use with RO water. Technically speaking RO water should naturally be 7.0 if there are no minerals left in it. A lot of nutrients will lower the pH of RO water down to 5.8 or 6.0 range which is perfect for hydro. Advanced Nutrients pH perfect line and Emerald Harvest for example don't need much tweaking if you use RO water to start with.

Keep in mind the most common mineral found in water supply is calcium. Some strains are very sensitive to high calcium amounts and will cause lockout of potassium uptake. If you have city water, Lord only knows what else they may be adding. Chlorine, flouride, all sorts of junk you don't want to feed your plants (or yourself for that matter).

Look up 3 stage RO system on Amazon I just bought mine for 60 bucks been using it for a month non stop and still works great, best buy I ever made. Dont waste money on anything more than 3 stages. That's all you really need for growing.

Matthewstever

Matthewstever

I run hydro with my tap water. It's 8.1 pH, and 113-115 ppm. Most of those ppms are carbonates to keep the pipes clean. I went to the water board and got a print out for it...I adjust my nute ppms accordingly...
I use GH maxigrow and maxibloom...they drop the pH partly. I use hydroguard. Then I do a final pH adjust. I use sulpheric acid for pH down.
I'm not a pro by any means..im sure I do stuff wrong. .just working with what I have. Would I rather have RO water? Heck, I don't know. Maybe? My plants don't die, and that makes me smile.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I run hydro with my tap water. It's 8.1 pH, and 113-115 ppm. Most of those ppms are carbonates to keep the pipes clean. I went to the water board and got a print out for it...I adjust my nute ppms accordingly...
I use GH maxigrow and maxibloom...they drop the pH partly. I use hydroguard. Then I do a final pH adjust. I use sulpheric acid for pH down.
I'm not a pro by any means..im sure I do stuff wrong. .just working with what I have. Would I rather have RO water? Heck, I don't know. Maybe? My plants don't die, and that makes me smile.

My city water it 6.2 /145 ppm going into the RO filter 6.0/6.1@13ppm filter has had 500 gallons on a 2500 gal duty cycle. I then calculated my total ppm count for each additive for the recommended 1 gallon dosage (and wrote it on each bottle so my stoned ass does not forget). It is all simple math after that.

Good Luck & Happy Farming 🍻 🤞

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
As a insurance policy always try to adjust to correct ph. Most RO systems are alkaline meaning high ph, all municipalities water is high pH to keep the bacteria at bay.
Adding a carbon filter will catch the organics in the water, 3 stage basically has a sediment filter, a carbon filter and then the RO membrane. If u can source a good 3 stage, add a primary carbon filter before the input line will elongate the life of the membrane.
And ph down is cheap, to adjust it down, carbon brings it to a lower state but all depends on the incoming water.

Matthewstever

Matthewstever

Something I should do, but never do, is let my water sit out and dechlorinate before I use it...maybe next run...but I'm lazy.. 🙂

ru knuts

ru knuts

For what it's worth, I got an aquarium ro 3 stage system, my well water went from 8.1 pH to 7.1 and ppm from 223 to 3. I'll save enough on ph down to more than pay the $70 it cost me in very little time.

TipJar

TipJar

Yeah, that sounds exactly what I'm looking for to happen,... Graci for the info,...

Top Bottom