Undercurrent Blackberry Fire Day 1

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

@heisenbubble

How is this for one week of growth and how does she look to you health wise? To me they seem healthy enough but not perfect by any means. Any specific issues you notice at this point I can nip in the "bud"!?

Each plant has about 5 to 6 root shots showing so I'm assuming it's not only safe but healthier for the plants to stop top feeding at this point?

I'm also noticing that the smaller the plant the more evident are the signs of nutrient burn. The bigger girls like this photo aren't bad but the smallest ones shows it much more. Considering they're growing good? Should I just leave the ppm at 380 and let them grow into it or drop it a little? The ppms aren't dropping or rising at all, ph is constant and water level is slightly dropping. A good deal of water loss is most likely from top feeding though.

Thanks for all your help @heisenbubble !!

20180917 212757
20180917 212847
S

Shawnery

Why is it that all my root growth is out the sides of the net cups and not the bottom at all yet? The reason I ask is because I do have some light peaking through the hydroton. The roots seem to be growing more where there is some light? I'm not talking a lot of light either just a tiny sparkle here or there.

Leew421

Leew421

Why is it that all my root growth is out the sides of the net cups and not the bottom at all yet? The reason I ask is because I do have some light peaking through the hydroton. The roots seem to be growing more where there is some light? I'm not talking a lot of light either just a tiny sparkle here or there.
Probably related to the amount of oxygen connect. The roots maybe finding more on the outsides. I would check pumps

S

Shawnery

Probably related to the amount of oxygen connect. The roots maybe finding more on the outsides. I would check pumps
I wouldn't know but that definitely seems like a safe bet. Though in my case I assume it's not the reason because the inside of my buckets literally look like boiling water with microscopic bubbles. I'll take a video in a little bit posted up and see what you guys think. I'm running close to 150lpm for roughly 65 gallons so it should be good? I'm also running the Big 4 inch cylinder airstones the nice hydroponic ones that are expensive not that that means better.

Perhaps related to oxygen content is water level maybe my water level is just so high The Roots download don't have to search for anything in the roots up top or searching far and wide?

S

Shawnery

My rockwool cube is pretty high in the basket so I was running about 2" above the bottom of the basket. That left me with between 1/2" to 3/4" of space between bubbles and roots.

I ended up dropping the water level to the bottom of the basket. This water level should leave me with about 2 1/2" of space to the rockwool cube and allow it to dry out more?

Here's a pic of where the roots of one of my midsized clones are at at the moment. There's one with much less but a couple with much more. Hopefully you can see the bubbling action in the tote as well!

20180919 113644
S

Shawnery

I have an extra clone from my initial throw aways in a coco mix that they all came in when I bought them. Man is it so friggen easy to grow in coco but it doesn't seem nearly as fast either. The coco girl is outdoors in direct sunlight as well but is growing much slower than my last indoor grow.

Should I be watering every day or only as the coco fries out. These are taken 10 days apart.

20180908 122455
20180919 145147
Last edited:
DGP

DGP

You dont quarantine for bugs?you hot bigger balls than me.i check over every cut I get with a 100x microscope,put in a humidity dome with a pest strip and look for any signs of bugs.
You get dotted spider or broad mites you might as well move lol.just looking out man I want to see u succeed but if you search them bugs are terrible.
I've never had them and never plan to.ive read enough to know I NEVER want them
Yeah.....quarantine is a good idea. I spray em with sulpher too just to be sure. Sulpher is so easy and fully organic. I do a series of sprays with sulpher while vegging as preventitive maintenance. Kills pretty much any bugs from russets to any other mites to thrips....

S

Shawnery

I use sulpher vapor for pwm does it work for bugs as well like the spray?

DGP

DGP

I use sulpher vapor for pwm does it work for bugs as well like the spray?
As far as I know. Do you use a burner? I spray it with a small hand pump sprayer or a fogger/atomizer. From what I understand you can use it anytime in veg but once in flower it tends to burn the pistils so I switch to other methods in flower like Plant Therapy or other plant oil based organic sprays. Recently outdoors I had russet mites and the sulphur absolutely destroyed those mites and any PWM.

S

Shawnery

It never ceases to amaze me how 8 plants in the same set up with all variables as equal as possible can still grow at such different rates. Two of my plants are pretty stunted and overwatered looking but the other six just started to really wake up the last few days.

I think dropping the water level really helped which surprises me because there was at least an inch between the rockwool and the bubbling water line.

Hopefully the other two will catch up before to long.

About FIMing, I usually just top my plants but this time decided to try FIMing them. Anyone have examples of what the top of the plant should start to look like if I did it right?

S

Shawnery

I would add a fogger or spray in that res. That way the roots stay nice and moist

Though I agree with your sentiment it is very wet and moist in there already. When you lift the lid the entire thing is dripping wet as well as the roots.

I considered doing high pressure aero at first but there just seemed to be so much going on that could fail. I'm sure that's just as true with rdwc as well but I just felt safer with little to no pressure at all. It's always surprised me that the roots in an aero system can hold all that weight up once the root ball really gets big.

S

Shawnery

Here's a few photo updates for 3 days on from Mondays photos and one day on for the root shot. I'm also hoping someone can give me an opinion on my FIM job? It's my first time so I'm a bit unsure about the technique.

The first two are the same roots from yesterday to today. The second two is the same clone 10 days in. The fifth photo is of my attempt at FIMing. The last photo is of one of my unhappy girls.

At what point do you guys start to prune the roots? Do you wait till they're at the pvc or have a set length you go for? From my research root pruning is good at promoting lateral root growth but when is it to soon or to late. I know that now is not the time by the way!

Thanks!

20180919 113644
20180920 105531
20180910 163357
20180920 104936
20180920 104929
20180920 105445
madgrower

madgrower

It never ceases to amaze me how 8 plants in the same set up with all variables as equal as possible can still grow at such different rates. Two of my plants are pretty stunted and overwatered looking but the other six just started to really wake up the last few days.

I think dropping the water level really helped which surprises me because there was at least an inch between the rockwool and the bubbling water line.

Hopefully the other two will catch up before to long.

About FIMing, I usually just top my plants but this time decided to try FIMing them. Anyone have examples of what the top of the plant should start to look like if I did it right?
Fimed spot will be brown and two stems should start. I do both. All the same to me

S

Shawnery

I thought the advantage of doing a fim over a top was that you had the chance of getting 3 to 4 stems? If you get the same thing with fim that you get with top than why choose the later?

S

Shawnery

Do you think this looks like magnesium or phosphorus deficiency and maybe nitrogen? I'm running 380ppm .5 scale which is a little over half of what I was using my last full grow at this stage. You always here less is more so I've really been trying to stick to that motto. Full strength for my nutes is 900ppm.

20180922 102954

Latest posts

Top Bottom