Underfeeding?

• Thread starter orbad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
orbad

orbad

Does this plant look underfed or do you think its a Ph/ lockout issue?

AN iguana base. Been on a light feeding schedule and I think I just need to bump up the strength. Promix HP, 600w hps. Daily temps 80-82 hum 55-65% nights in the 75° range.

Also. The dots are from a neem application. No sign of mites or other pests in the tent.

Underfeeding

Underfeeding 2

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

They do look a Lil hungry but what do I know b'cuz I'm the master of over feeding my plants..

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Honestly, it looks like a combination of both. Flush with Ph'd or distilled water then start them on a nutrient schedule for the bloom phase.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

Also. The dots are from a neem application.

How did you come to this determination? I don't use neem oil anymore, but have in the past. I never experienced anything like that with it. Without reading the neem oil part, the first thing I think when I see those dots is a Ca def, but it is not a close enough picture to say for sure. I don't see any Ca knots where the leaf meets the plant stem, so, your plant isn't storing any extra Ca. Take a closer look for yourself or get a close up pic of those leaves.

Is there more than one color to the dots? Like a yellow center with a ring of red or brown around it? If so, that is for sure a Ca def.

In that second pic, it is showing signs that could be either an N or an Mg def. The interveinal chlorosis you see (the veins remain green while the parts in between the veins yellow) tends to be indicative of an Mg def. Mg is pretty important for chlorophyl production. It kind of depends upon how the yellowing progress. Did it start at the outside of the leaf blades and work its way to the center, or did the yellowing start at the blade tip and work its way back to the node? An Mg def can show up in more than one way, including a lime green type color to your upper growth. Also, N def tend to start on the lower part of the plant and then work its way to the top, which doesn't appear to be the case here, which is more indicative of a lockout due to pH, hard water or improper nute ratios (which usually goes back to hard water).

You at one time did have some pH issues for sure, indicated by those three bladed leaves and twisting tips (which can often go along with a Ca def/lockout), so the folks pointing to lockout are probably right. Lockout can occur for more than one reason. Incorrect pH, incorrect ratios of nutrients compared to one another and harder water that has a good amount of calcium carbonate and magnesiun carbonate in it. Any bicarbonates you have in your water will present an even bigger problem.

N & Mg def can be easily confused and it is not uncommon to have both Mg and Ca issues at the same time.

The big fan leaf in that first pic is showing some signs of a P def with the way that the edges are curling under - if this continues and the color goes to brown, you have a P def kicking as well, which, again, could be a lockout issue or simply an under feeding. The red petioles are also indicative of a P def in some plants. In other strains, it is a genetic thing and not a sign of anything - don't know the genes you have, so I don't know if it is a genetic predisposition or attached to a P def.

Sounds like you already flushed, but if you do have a lock-out, it is best to use something like Clearex to flush with and then run at least three times the volume of your pot in water. Meaning if you are growing in a 1ga pot, run 3ga through, if you are growing in a 5ga pot, run 15 ga through, etc.

Again, the question is one of a lockout or not enough nutes overall. Need more info to be more precise like feeding schedule and tap pH.

Are you using tap water? What's your water like? Do you know the pH of it? If you are using tap, it can have a high alkalinity to it which makes it more resistant to the pH dropping when you add acidic nutes.

How much below the recommended dosage have you been feeding?

I also see signs that the plant was over fed in earlier stages of life. Did you start heavier and back off a bit? If so, that could explain those dots as well.

That's a nice looking heavy sativa strain. Highly sativa strains can be real finiky bithces to grow and you are right to cut back on the nutes with such a strong expression of sativa genes. What strain is it?

orbad

orbad

I buy filtered water from a local water store. Ppm unknown and the ph is usually at or just under 7.0. They are Skywalker og kush and I also have Mars kush as well. They are in three gallon bags entering their fifth week of flower tonight. I'll get you some more specifics in the morning.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

Sweet. Filtered water isn't your problem, so maybe you are just under nuting. If you can , I would dig seeing a closer picture of those spotted leaves. If you can't, no worries.

orbad

orbad

I'll get you more pics tonight. Last week I ended up just bumping the feed strength w/o a flush. They seem happier but they're not tits yet.

orbad

orbad

So last week they were given a 15ml bloom solution as a test. 1/2 gal per 3 gal container. They are looking bettrrvbut it looks like I have reached heir upper tolerance of iguana juice. So today they were given a little over half a gallon each of ro + 8ml GO calmag.
IMG 201207231654
IMG 201207232706
IMG 2012072327392
IMG 2012072350951
IMG 2012072350951
IMG 2012072350951
IMG 2012072315778

orbad

orbad

I've also got this happening on the lower older leaves of my veg plants.
2012 07 25 062609

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

^^^^That looks like a nute burn, at what ppm/EC are you feeding and how often do you use plain water in between feedings??

orbad

orbad

I'm unsure of ec, don't have an ec meter. I'll have to look in my log for what hey have been fed. I've been going what I thought was light on them, but since seeing those spots show up I've gone a bit harder in them. We're talking 5ml strength grow solutio as they are under t8s. They too are in promix, and I started seeing the spots show up before I transplanted them from the solo cups. While in the solo cups they rereading not getting nutes. I have now been giving the babies really light nutes intermittently.

orbad

orbad

I really need to make a journal for you guys. Maybe I'll sit down tonight and make one.

Thanks for all the help.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

It's hard to think that its nute burn when your only giving them 5ml per gallon of nutes, but if you do that every time you water its easy for the salts to build up in the medium and maybe thats what caused the burn, if it is a nute burn. When I water my plants I always make sure I get around 20% run off because it helps reduce salt buildup. I don't how how often you feed with your nute solution, but try using it every other watering and get around 20% runoff and maybe it'll stop, good luck.

orbad

orbad

I was watering to runoff but these three gallon bags of promix HP will hold about a gallon of water before I get any runoff. This gave me concerns of overwatering so I started only giving them a half gal at a time with no runoff. Is 1 gal of water per 3 gal bag too much water or is the promix HP still have enough air at that saturation level?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I was watering to runoff but these three gallon bags of promix HP will hold about a gallon of water before I get any runoff. This gave me concerns of overwatering so I started only giving them a half gal at a time with no runoff. Is 1 gal of water per 3 gal bag too much water or is the promix HP still have enough air at that saturation level?

I never used Promix before so I can't tell you about the air at saturation point. I use 5 gallon buckets with soil and perlite and at first I only watered 2 times a week with a half gallon of water, but around the 4th week of flower I started to water every other day with 1.5 gallons of water, but I also have some perlite in my soil also. I wish I could help, but I don't want to give you info based on my assumption because I have no experiance with promix. 1 gallon of water seems like alot for 3 gallon bags, but honestly, if you water when the bags feel light, you shouldn't have a problem with overwatering even if you allow runoff. If you don't water til runoff the salts are gonna build up fast, so I would still water til runoff then don't water again until the bags feel light. Thats the safest way IMO.

orbad

orbad

I may try that on a couple plants. I have so many different stages of growth going on right now I'm about to lose my mind. Hahaha. Just one more bowl.

I've got a couple plants that I've been watering at 5.6 ph and the rest at 6.3. Some topped, some fim'd, some that I've supercropped. I'm still new and doing the cause and effect thing. So far they don't mind the 5.6 Ph and that means giving them less Ph up which I figure can't hurt.

I'm still thinking about switching nutes though as I run out of the AN stuff. Just don't know what to go with next.

Latest posts

Top Bottom