Unethical Human Experimentation in the US

• Thread starter deepthought
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
deepthought

deepthought

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States

Wanted to share this with anyone who might not have seen it (or its like). A link to the Wikipedia page on the subject. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone so do research to confirm information.
Some bits from the article:

In 1874, Mary Rafferty, an Irish servant woman, came to Dr. Roberts Bartholow of the Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati for treatment of her cancer. Seeing a research opportunity, he cut open her head, and inserted needle electrodes into her exposed brain matter.[5] He described the experiment as follows:
When the needle entered the brain substance, she complained of acute pain in the neck. In order to develop more decided reactions, the strength of the current was increased ... her countenance exhibited great distress, and she began to cry. Very soon, the left hand was extended as if in the act of taking hold of some object in front of her; the arm presently was agitated with clonic spasm; her eyes became fixed, with pupils widely dilated; lips were blue, and she frothed at the mouth; her breathing became stertorous; she lost consciousness and was violently convulsed on the left side. The convulsion lasted five minutes, and was succeeded by a coma. She returned to consciousness in twenty minutes from the beginning of the attack, and complained of some weakness and vertigo.
—Dr. Bartholow's research report

In 1941 Dr. William C. Black inoculated a twelve-month-old baby "offered as a volunteer" with herpes. He submitted his research to The Journal of Experimental Medicine and it was rejected on ethical grounds. The editor of the Journal of Experimental Medicine, Francis Payton Rous, called the experiment "an abuse of power, an infringement of the rights of an individual, and not excusable because the illness which followed had implications for science. It was later published in the Journal of Pediatrics.

In 1953, the AEC sponsored a study to discover if radioactive iodine affected premature babies differently from full-term babies. In the experiment, researchers from Harper Hospital in Detroit orally administered iodine-131 to 65 premature and full-term infants who weighed from 2.1 to 5.5 pounds (0.95 to 2.5 kg)
From 1955 to 1960 Sonoma State Hospital in northern California served as a permanent drop off location for mentally handicapped children diagnosed with cerebral palsy or lesser disorders. The children subsequently underwent painful experimentation without adult consent. Many were given irradiated milk, some spinal taps "for which they received no direct benefit." 60 Minutes Wednesday learned that in these five years, the brain of every cerebral palsy child who died at Sonoma State was removed and studied without parental consent. According to the CBS story, over 1,400 patients died at the clinic.

In 1957, with funding from a CIA front organization, Dr. Ewan Cameron of the Allan Memorial Institute in Montreal, Canada began MKULTRA Subproject 68.[124] His experiments were designed to first "depattern" individuals, erasing their minds and memories—reducing them to the mental level of an infant—and then to "rebuild" their personality in a manner of his choosing.[125] To achieve this, Cameron placed patients under his "care" into drug-induced comas for up to 88 days, and applied numerous high voltage electric shocks to them over the course of weeks or months, often administering up to 360 shocks per person. He would then perform what he called "psychic driving" experiments on the subjects, where he would repetitively play recorded statements, such as "You are a good wife and mother and people enjoy your company", through speakers he had implanted into blacked-out football helmets that he bound to the heads of the test subjects (for sensory deprivation purposes). The patients could do nothing but listen to these messages, played for 16–20 hours a day, for weeks at a time. In one case, Cameron forced a person to listen to a message non-stop for 101 days. ] Using CIA funding, Cameron converted the horse stables behind Allen Memorial into an elaborate isolation and sensory deprivation chamber which he kept patients locked in for weeks at a time.[125] Cameron also induced insulin comas in his subjects by giving them large injections of insulin, twice a day for up to two months at a time.Several of the children who Cameron experimented on were sexually abused, in at least one case by several men. One of the children was filmed numerous times performing sexual acts with high-ranking federal government officials, in a scheme set up by Cameron and other MKULTRA researchers, to blackmail the officials to ensure further funding for the experiments.

These are just a few of the atrocities listed in the article.

deepthought

deepthought

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/video/secret-government-experiment-exposed/1863048643001

In the early 1950s, the Army set up motorized blowers on top of residential high-rises in low-income, mostly black St. Louis neighborhoods, including areas where as much as 70% of the residents were children under 12. The government told residents that it was experimenting with a smokescreen to protect the city from Russian attacks, but it was actually pumping the air full of hundreds of pounds of finely powdered zinc cadmium sulfide. The government admits that there was a second ingredient in the chemical powder, but whether or not that ingredient was radioactive remains classified. Of course it does. Since the tests, an alarming number of the area's residents have developed cancer. In 1955, Doris Spates was born in one of the buildings the Army used to fill the air with chemicals from 1953 - 1954. Her father died inexplicably that same year, she has seen four siblings die from cancer, and Doris herself is a survivor of cervical cancer.

ttystikk

ttystikk

This country has an entire ghouls gallery of awful episodes like these written into the pages of our history books- in blood. My own ancestors, the original Scottish Rednecks who settled in Appalachia and wanted better conditions in the coal mines were slaughtered by Pinkertons (corporate funded mercenaries) with government knowledge and support.

mushface

mushface

In the early 1950s, the Army set up motorized blowers on top of residential high-rises in low-income, mostly black St. Louis neighborhoods, including areas where as much as 70% of the residents were children under 12. The government told residents that it was experimenting with a smokescreen to protect the city from Russian attacks, but it was actually pumping the air full of hundreds of pounds of finely powdered zinc cadmium sulfide. The government admits that there was a second ingredient in the chemical powder, but whether or not that ingredient was radioactive remains classified. Of course it does. Since the tests, an alarming number of the area's residents have developed cancer. In 1955, Doris Spates was born in one of the buildings the Army used to fill the air with chemicals from 1953 - 1954. Her father died inexplicably that same year, she has seen four siblings die from cancer, and Doris herself is a survivor of cervical cancer.[/quote]
Deep shit no pun intended

mushface

mushface

This country has an entire ghouls gallery of awful episodes like these written into the pages of our history books- in blood. My own ancestors, the original Scottish Rednecks who settled in Appalachia and wanted better conditions in the coal mines were slaughtered by Pinkertons (corporate funded mercenaries) with government knowledge and support.
Im a Proud Black American I tell my folks all the times that America don't see Black or White its all about the color GREEN

fractal

fractal

They would put subjects in restraints in a sterile, clinical setting and dose them with pure LSD every single day for up to 75 days or so. For anyone who is experienced with LSD, you can probably imagine just how horrific that would have been. Also putting subjects in soundproofed cabinets embedded in foam and with their ears plugged with cotton, catheters inserted and administered LSD for weeks. Total sensory deprivation combined with the most powerful psychedelic available at the time. Just barbaric. . . I really believe that psychedelic sacraments should never be used on people without their knowledge and consent and to go to those extremes is beyond all I can imagine. They could have at least had some rock bands come in and play shows for the psychonauts!

Frank Olson was a CIA scientist who viewed some of these experiments and was deeply traumatized, it made him re-think all he was working toward under the guise of developing enhanced interrogation methods for use against communist spies and captured soldiers. When he told this to his superiors he was dosed at a clandestine meeting, suffering hallucinations and probably a hellish confrontation with his own self over what he was involved in. He told his wife that he wanted out, wanted to get away from all of it and then he was sent to New York for "therapy", meeting with a CIA psychiatrist. While in New York he was thrown out of a high rise hotel window and died soon after. They blamed it on suicide.

I mean giving people cancer and disease is bad enough, but really. . . inappropriate administration of LSD and other psychedelics is about the worst thing you can do to a person. I really hope karma came back around and nailed those SOB's, they were messing with things that were way beyond anyone's understanding.

mushface

mushface

They would put subjects in restraints in a sterile, clinical setting and dose them with pure LSD every single day for up to 75 days or so. For anyone who is experienced with LSD, you can probably imagine just how horrific that would have been. Also putting subjects in soundproofed cabinets embedded in foam and with their ears plugged with cotton, catheters inserted and administered LSD for weeks. Total sensory deprivation combined with the most powerful psychedelic available at the time. Just barbaric. . . I really believe that psychedelic sacraments should never be used on people without their knowledge and consent and to go to those extremes is beyond all I can imagine. They could have at least had some rock bands come in and play shows for the psychonauts!

Frank Olson was a CIA scientist who viewed some of these experiments and was deeply traumatized, it made him re-think all he was working toward under the guise of developing enhanced interrogation methods for use against communist spies and captured soldiers. When he told this to his superiors he was dosed at a clandestine meeting, suffering hallucinations and probably a hellish confrontation with his own self over what he was involved in. He told his wife that he wanted out, wanted to get away from all of it and then he was sent to New York for "therapy", meeting with a CIA psychiatrist. While in New York he was thrown out of a high rise hotel window and died soon after. They blamed it on suicide.

I mean giving people cancer and disease is bad enough, but really. . . inappropriate administration of LSD and other psychedelics is about the worst thing you can do to a person. I really hope karma came back around and nailed those SOB's, they were messing with things that were way beyond anyone's understanding.
I experienced Lsd when i was younger hanging with some Spanish homies. When i took the first hit i was wondering why they wouldn't let me leave their site i tried to get up and leave they wouldn't let me leave basically holding me hostage i was wondering why until that shit came on. Man we walked the hood all nite. I would look at peoples face and it appeared to me that their faces melted away. 1 hit and my body felt drained for atleast 3 days. But sex while tripping was a blast. energizer rabbit fast atleast 2 hours none stop.

NagaKing

NagaKing

At least these are atrocities in the name of science.
Now they are committed in the name of war.
Torture happens everyday in Guantanamo Bay.

I've read about the CIA administering LSD before.
It would have been hell.
I recall something about it being done to an entire village somewhere?
Not sure if that was true.

mushface

mushface

It would have been hell.
Humans for Guinea pigs??? Science??? PETA will fight for the pigs. Who will stand for Mankind???

NagaKing

NagaKing

Humans for Guinea pigs??? Science??? PETA will fight for the pigs. Who will stand for Mankind???

We all should.
I don't think any animal should be used as a guinea pigs.
Even the fact we refer to experimental animals as guinea pigs is indicative of how fucked up the system is!
I am NOT advocating humans being tested like that.
It's vile.
I was pointing out that mistreating humans in not a thing only in the US past.
But also the present.
It's bad man.
What can we do?

mushface

mushface

People in similar situations need to stick together regardless of differences. Meaning poor and middle class should atleast vote the same regardless of race religion or that other bullshit. Rich stick together regardless then divide the few middle and poor their way because of foolish differences change laws for their benefit and the poor gets poorer middle becomes poor and the rich has steadily become richer

Shamus

Shamus

did not know this,
oddly enough, my fam also settled in the mountains. highland scott ftw
crazy

fractal

fractal

It would have been hell.
It was a village in France, I believe. Don't quote me on that but it did happen.

ttystikk

ttystikk

did not know this,
oddly enough, my fam also settled in the mountains. highland scott ftw
crazy

My family traces a direct lineage through Davidson County, Tennessee. My grandfather was pretty big into genealogy, and it piqued my interest, so I did a little digging. Turns out a lot of Scotsmen settled in Appalachia, and indeed it was the strike- not 'revolt'- that gave rednecks their name, the striking miners wore red handkerchiefs around their necks to identify themselves from the mercenaries.

Chances are good that if you're an American of Scottish descent, you've got relatives who were 'rednecks', too- and as Paul Harvey would say (may he Rest In Peace), "and now you know... the rest of the story!"

This is why if anyone ever calls me a redneck, I thank them. Due to my education, it doesn't happen often- but again, those miners were more than the propaganda about them suggests; many had college degrees in an era when very few people got them.

fractal

fractal

When you win the war, nobody comes after you to prosecute for war crimes. That is why nothing happened.

Latest posts

Top Bottom