Uneven growth of clones from same batch

• Thread starter Green-Girl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Green-Girl

Hello farmers,

I have a batch of 15 clones and at week 2 I have 5 that look green and healthy 5 that are small and yellowish. And 5 that look pretty healthy but didn't grow as fast as healthiest ones.

I am hand watering in coco, under 250 watt cfls, using AN nutrients and H&G additives. I water every 3 days. I feed every other time I water. Strain is Alien Dog.

I just switched to hand watering, so my first guess is that I didn't mix up the nutrient solution well enough and the nutrients probably sunk to the bottom of the bucket, and so the last to be watered got all the nutrients. The second time I watered, I tried to be conscientious of this and added an airstone to the bucket, although I don't know if this helped.

What do you guys think? Here's a pic of a good one and a not-so-good one.
good-alien-dog.jpeg
bad-alien-dog-3.jpg

F

farmerjohn

Its all in the roots. Those clones that grow the quickest, most probably have the healthiest rootball. The smaller ones should catch up quickly, once they are adapted to their new home & the roots begin to spread out throughout the medium. Look for new growth on the smaller ones. That is a sign that the roots are healthy enuff to support additional vegetation. U see with clones, growth is determined by the size of the rootball. Photosynthesis, or leaf growth will not begin until the root system is large enuff to bring water to the party @ the top of the plant.

G

Green-Girl

Very true, when I transplanted them the small ones had barely grown out of the rockwool and the big ones had long roots that had already filled out the little cup. When you look at the little ones from the side, you can see the lower stem is purple and the top is growing in green, so I am assuming everthings kosher.
Thanks for the feedback

S

seabass212

you're good new shoots are green. nothing time cant mend. good luck

D

Doomsterx

i would top the healthier ones asap and then let them get more tops and bush out more and let the others catch up. yield is all about an even top canopy because the top buds carry the most weight. those need to be topped too thats my advice thats how i manage my canopy goodluck

G

Green-Girl

Thx for responses. That's a great idea Doomsterx. making the plants the same height will allow me to get the light closer. Brilliant!

S

Satica

The first time I cloned my mother plant ,I vegged every single of them even the ones thet barely made any root and ended up with an uneven canopy Even worse than when you grow from seeds.Time passed,learnt my lesson and now I just choose clones that Produce the fastest and healthiest roots and destroy other weak plants(for me,they proved dont worth wasting my time and space).

But for your case,you are stressing the plants with way too much nuts(EC?,PH? needed, you did not mention).The weaker ones need more time and less nuts(way less) especially if you are using AN( me too) .AN products are very powerfull and I almost have never used any of their products( I have all of the collection except a few,and I am not proud of hoarding nuts,also) with more than 1.6=EC,,normally less than 0.9 in my hydro setup let alone soil.

I strongly recommend rethink about nuts and their strenght. Flush one of the plants and see the results in a few days,if it worked do it for all your weaker plants.

420Gator

420Gator

Satica is right, the plant in the bottom pic looks a little crispy from the nute burn

P

paulycali

Are you checking the PH of your water or just mixing water and nutes together? There right about the roots they are everything. The other ones will catch up! Those crinkly dying leaves are from PH fluctuations. Get a PH test kit or meter and you will have healthier plants and bigger yields. In soil the proper amount of nutrients to be released is based on your PH of your water/solution. maintain a 6.3 in soil and your plants can get every readily available nutrients it needs. Wish you luck

P

paulycali

You'll learn. Doomsterx is right just top the taller ones and wait for the other ones to catch up. Actually do a FIM cut it works out better in the long run. Just cut 80% of the main top of just like topping just leave 20% of the leave tip left. That set of leaves will grow back and then you will have more colas than standard topping. Also how close is your light. If the light wont burn your hands it also wont burn the plants. keep the light as close as possible.

Supercrop those ladies too! Just bend and or tye down the top of the plant and then later pull the plants top apart and tye them to your pots so you can expose more light to the plant

X

Xceptional

thats why i always like to start off with way more plants then i need so i can pick the ones that are growing even ;)

G

Green-Girl

Wow, thanks for the response. I think I understand my problem a lot better. I think what happened is some clones rooted faster than others so they responded well to the nutrients and the ones with less roots got burned. The PPMs were around 600 which should be 1.2 EC. Next time I will start with 300 PPM. I do PH test using drops to between 5.5 - 5.8ish. BTW I am in coco not soil so that's why I use that PH range. Light is as close as I can get it.

When I learn how to clone, I will take the good advice of cloning more than I need and throwing away the weaklings.

I'm new to the training, supercropping stuff, so I'm going go try and learn more about that. But from what I understood, you guys would recommend fiming the top so many tops grow and then bending those tops to spread things out? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also I'm only giving the plants a little over 1 square foot of space to grow in bloom, so will that supercropping create too wide of a plant? Thx!

Top Bottom