Ungrounded pumps and blue lab combo meters dont mix

• Thread starter DrCALIGREENTHUM
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

whats up guys, just thought Id like to share my bad episode the other night...
I have a 150 something gallon res with 2 submers pumps one being a ecoplus 396, just to help mix solution's in the res.
I have a blue lab combo meter, the dual probe

Anyways after driving myself crazy recalibrating my ph meter like 5 times because it was throwing crazy numbers at me jumping high then low,
when I had an idea what the water in the res already was I was just about to give up and get a new one from the shop & for some damn reason after 4 hours messing with it decided to turn my pumps off while watching my meter.
As soon as I did that my meter jumped back up from 3.3 to 6.3
Huuuuuuge difference, after playing with it I realized it was my ecoplus 396 pump that had the grounding plug knocked off but I still used it because my dumbass thought it was ok

Not only did it give me a very wrong reading but it also threw my meters calibration off by at least a couple points.... every time :mad0229:

threw the pump out and my meter works perfect again, fuckin love blue labs!

Told the shop and he said hes never heard of it happening before, gave me a new pump and called it a day lol
Im no electrician whatsoever, and still dont have a clue why that happened

Just thought Id like to share my experience with others so you dont go crazy making the same mistake with your meter (the brains of the op) we already have enough to worry about right :pimp:

Space Cab

Space Cab

Sounds pretty nuts, I feel like I always have problems with meters. Maybe its because I calibrate them so much and check with otherones so I just actually notice. But yeah had to be frustrating

deep buddy

deep buddy

yup always take a glass of nutes and take your measurement well away form any cords or ballasts anything like that will throw them off. thats all meters respond to elec interference. but ungrounded pumps can do more than just throw off your meter then can F up your iron and other shit in you res.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

hey dr.cgt, are you referring to the dual probe drop in rez meter from blue lab?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Heh, that reminds me of the first time I experienced non-grounded submersible pumps in real life. The powerhead on my marine fish tank let me know when I happened to have my hand in the water and slightly touched the nearby microwave (small apartment). ZZZZAAAPP!!! I said, "Whoa..! kewl." Ran a grounding probe from the tank to the nearest outlet, solved the problem.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gave me the shivers. After that first time I've been zapped so many times through tanks that I've gotten to kinda liking it. Except that industrial voltage, God DAMN that shit hurts!

Top Bottom