Uniseals

• Thread starter boshuter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
boshuter

boshuter

I'm setting up a small RDWC system and want to use uniseals instead of bulkhead fittings. I have a question about the sizes for the uniseals; if I want to use 2" pvc, what size uniseal do I need? I'm not sure if they size by outside diameter of the tube, or if it's a 2" uniseal for a 2" pvc.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

They should be labled. But usually go by I.D. don't have to be uniseal either. There just called grommets and should be able to find them cheaper. Home depot and Lowes carries them.

boshuter

boshuter

They should be labled. But usually go by I.D. don't have to be uniseal either. There just called grommets and should be able to find them cheaper. Home depot and Lowes carries them.

Thanks Mj, I had finally found the info just about the time you posted. I have to disagree about the grommets though, the uniseals have an internal lip seal just like many oil seals in engines. That is why the pipe has to go in through the correct side. A grommet is not made to seal liquids or anything else, they are made to protect wire that passes through a sharp edged hole.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

They make different types of grommet. I'm just saying you don't need the name brand.

boshuter

boshuter

I'm just setting up a 4 bucket rdwc. I'm using 5gal buckets for the plants and an 18gal res outside the tent. I plan on using 1 1/2" from each bucket feeding into a 2" pvc back to the res. I found the uniseals for $2.18 each for the 1 1/2" and $3.00 for the 2". I don't want to use bulkhead type fittings, I've ran into issues with them leaking before, especially on round buckets. I know for sure the uniseals work very well, and I don't want to experiment with something that may be a little cheaper but may or may not work. This is just going to be a test, I just do very small (4-6 plants) grows and have always used DWC with 5 gal buckets.

I'm not really convinced that RDWC has any benefit over DWC in my situation, largely because I am usually doing multi strain grows. My plan is to do a single strain 4 bucket rdwc in one tent and 4 bucket dwc in another tent and see how it goes.

Top Bottom