Unknown strain producing genetic foxtails?

• Thread starter DeJaVu Seeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

I was gifted a clone of a strain from way back in the mountains. No one knows its name because no one has named it. That's just how we roll in Appalachia, feds can't track it down if it doesn't have a name 😎

Feel free to guess what it might be though, I am curious.

The interesting thing about this girl is that in week 6 of flower, just when the leaves were starting to yellow up, she started showing a foxtail on one of the main colas. Nothing serious, so I raised the light a few inches and thought no more about it. Now, at week 8, it is showing brand new buds with white hairs growing out of the other buds, in between the other buds, off the limbs, etc. It is exploding with brand new bud growth.

Anyone care to explain this?

Nothing unusual has been done to this plant.
Using one LED light that draws 135 watts at the wall.
Temps have been maintaining at 65 low - 77 high with one fluke day in week 4 when it hit 84...vent fan was dying. Replaced immediately.
pH has been checked with every watering and has never been outside the range of 5.8 - 7.0
ppm of fertilizers is normal
Topped once at 12" tall, vegged and LST until 16" diameter and 12" tall

This has got to be genetic, but I have never seen this before. At least not to this extent, and it was caused by heat/light issues every other time.

The trichomes are still 80% clear, 20% cloudy on the most mature buds, red hairs as you can see, but no amber trichomes as of yet.

Has anyone encountered this before?

My main question now is...when to harvest? Should I harvest twice? Take the old buds and then wait a few weeks to take the rest?

Unknown strain producing genetic foxtails
Unknown strain producing genetic foxtails 2
Unknown strain producing genetic foxtails 3
Unknown strain producing genetic foxtails 4
Unknown strain producing genetic foxtails 5
Unknown strain producing genetic foxtails 6
Unknown strain producing genetic foxtails 7
Last edited:
Nugg

Nugg

Can't track it without a name..that's funny...stress causes that...plants don't yellow just because...mine are still all green when finished, unless I kill them before the end...how about we call it snicklefritz...

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

clear...ish... bass... 6wks... it ain't fall, yet... it's deficiency; too early. fall colors, r correct, finishes, imho.
fyi- I'd read from a singular, source, i don't recall, said foxtailing can b indicative of um... higher than avg for strain, thc lvls. high ph, can also, thin, stretch n purple, from nutes, taken up, at that higher, ph range. i currently, forget, the culprits, but as I'll freak- I'm not verifying.
when badashbass, has the time, he would know where I'm goin with this and believe me- u want me to leave, now... and nair, return n.
sorry.
i can't look at ur values- I'll lose my shyt, on ur thread.

good morning, capn. hope all is well.

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

I agree with you basscaptain, except that did not happen. Everything was normal, no big issues, no typical stress problems.

Then this happens.

I will update each week as I finish her.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Yeah I agree too, I had it happen when my water barrel PH got out of whack for a few waterings and locked nutes (which I had continued to add). When I corrected the PH the nutes flooded in and they foxtailed.

basscaptain

basscaptain

Yeah I agree too, I had it happen when my water barrel PH got out of whack for a few waterings and locked nutes (which I had continued to add). When I corrected the PH the nutes flooded in and they foxtailed.
I did it this run on the TCHB #2 also....... I forgot how long I was in the 5gal and run it out of food myself......... Yes I turned it around and it went the whole way but it foxtailed and I would never say it was a good grow on that plant...

basscaptain

basscaptain

Just thinking out loud here

But even though it's indoors ...>>> maybe it just got in sink with are weather and got a little wired with the 60 and spring time then the Ice storms...........

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

Just thinking out loud here

But even though it's indoors ...>>> maybe it just got in sink with are weather and got a little wired with the 60 and spring time then the Ice storms...........

Interesting theory. There is definitely an effect caused by the phases of the moon, no matter where the plant is located. Also, even though I can regulate temps and humidity (to a degree), I am not able to regulate atmospheric pressure.

I found this article: https://www.growweedeasy.com/foxtails

I have searched far and wide to try to solve this. It dawned on me that DJ Short has a variety that gives two harvests...it is called 'Flo'. I have seeds for Flo, but as of yet have not grown them out. I wonder if this is something similar.

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

The ones in flower look like critical.

I think it might have Critical genetics in it, but the turpenes are different. Unlike anything I have encountered. Nearly no smell...until you touch the buds or leaves...then it has a sudden and loud stinging fruity earthy smell. Very nice though. No pine, and no citrus, so it is not Critical.

Aslo, it is not the Hogsbreath strain that is famous around here. No garlic smell.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like you got nute lockout at some point and then it got fixed.

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

Can't track it without a name..that's funny...stress causes that...plants don't yellow just because...mine are still all green when finished, unless I kill them before the end...how about we call it snicklefritz...

I agree, with all of you, stress causes that. However, this plant has been under no significant stress. I have literally checked and re-checked everything. It has to be genetic.

I cloned this one before I sent it into flower, so next run will prove me true or false on the genetics / environment argument. I am not new to this, 20+ years of exp and this is a brand new thing.

Who knows what hillbilly sorcery has been performed on these genetics...but I am 99.9% positive it is genetics. This was a good grow.

Snicklefritz...love it

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

On a bit of a side note, is there any place other than Phylos Bioscience that can do a genetic test to see what this strain might be?

I don't trust Phylos

Top Bottom