Upcoming Outdoor Grow Season - 2024

• Thread starter Hawk518
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hawk518

Hawk518

I’m an outdoor grower living in VA. Finished my first grow a couple months ago. It went reasonably well for a complete newbie. Lots of issues, but learned a lot and had a total blast doing it. Basically, I loved trying to grow these plants! Had hoped to buy an indoor setup and give it a shot, but injured my back and will have to wait until the outdoor season for my next grow.

Last season, I didn’t start to germinate until the end of April. Had a few MAJOR issues because the weather got cold and rainy before I could harvest. I’d like to do it Right this time.

Questions:
  • What do I need to do Now, so that I’m totally ready to grow outside again?
  • When should I start germinating my seeds? I’ll keep them inside until they’re ready to be transplanted to 1 gallon grow pots.
  • I have about 20 gallons of used Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil from last season. Ended up having spider mites at the very end of the grow. Can this dirt be reused for another outdoor grow or is it totally contaminated from the mites?
  • IF I can reuse this soil, exactly what needs to be done to prep it?
I figure I have about 3 months to get everything ready for my next outdoor grow.

Any / all advice is Greatly appreciated!!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i’ll start seeds for outdoors around 3-4 months before as i take clones from them,..
that way the plants are big and healthy for planting outdoors,.
but i plant into the ground you might want to start seeds 2-3 months before,..

WonkasTHC

WonkasTHC

I’m an outdoor grower living in VA. Finished my first grow a couple months ago. It went reasonably well for a complete newbie. Lots of issues, but learned a lot and had a total blast doing it. Basically, I loved trying to grow these plants! Had hoped to buy an indoor setup and give it a shot, but injured my back and will have to wait until the outdoor season for my next grow.

Last season, I didn’t start to germinate until the end of April. Had a few MAJOR issues because the weather got cold and rainy before I could harvest. I’d like to do it Right this time.

Questions:
  • When should I start germinating my seeds? I’ll keep them inside until they’re ready to be transplanted to 1 gallon grow pots.
  • I have about 20 gallons of used Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil from last season. Ended up having spider mites at the very end of the grow. Can this dirt be reused for another outdoor grow or is it totally contaminated from the mites?
I figure I have about 3 months to get everything ready for my next outdoor grow.

I started in March last year for a NY grow, never again.
Ill start them like mid april - may 1st of i ever grow outside again.
March was wayyy to far out and i had space issues.
And for 3 years, i haven't even harvested anything because nys weather is shit so i wont be growing outside again. Fk that waste of time.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
What do I need to do Now, so that I’m totally ready to grow outside again?
Now is the time to plan, for sure.

When should I start germinating my seeds? I’ll keep them inside until they’re ready to be transplanted to 1 gallon grow pots.
Figure out when to put them outside and back up from there. I think it's best to put them out near the summer solstice, when the sunlight is at its longest duration. Where I live, that's about 16 hours. Setting the grow light on-time to coordinate with the daylight duration can help.

I have about 20 gallons of used Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil from last season. Ended up having spider mites at the very end of the grow. Can this dirt be reused for another outdoor grow or is it totally contaminated from the mites?
I would use it. There are ways to get rid of spider mites. Pests are a frequent problem when growing outside, so dealing with them needs to be part of your planning.

IF I can reuse this soil, exactly what needs to be done to prep it?
I reuse my soil. I keep it in a plastic bin when I'm not using it. I keep it moist and stir it occasionally. I don't add nutrients. I wait till I have plants growing in it and feed them as needed. Basically, it's composting while it's in the bin. When I'm ready to use it, I put it in another bin and mix in some amendments like perlite or earthworm castings before putting plants in it.

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Questions:

Did you get the results you wanted last year?

I went with germinating seeds start of March last year, started in a small pot of Promix from Walmart (under $10 a bag), went to 3 gallon pots in Promix, then straight to the ground start of June. I planted in the drip line of a spruce tree (far left of pic) and didn't water or fertilize more than a dozen times all summer.

DSC01983b

cpurola

cpurola

Did you get the results you wanted last year?

I went with germinating seeds start of March last year, started in a small pot of Promix from Walmart (under $10 a bag), went to 3 gallon pots in Promix, then straight to the ground start of June. I planted in the drip line of a spruce tree (far left of pic) and didn't water or fertilize more than a dozen times all summer.

View attachment 2102298
Very nice! Did you have any problems with PM or Botrytis? And when did you harvest? I just bought seeds from a Canadian breeder in BC so I'm hoping they are more resistant and quicker than others I've grown. BTW, I'm in Southeast Michigan. Thanks!

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Very nice! Did you have any problems with PM or Botrytis? And when did you harvest? I just bought seeds from a Canadian breeder in BC so I'm hoping they are more resistant and quicker than others I've grown. BTW, I'm in Southeast Michigan. Thanks!
Thanks.

I had zero problems with anything. I harvested before things were "finished" but got a good crop with nothing spoiled.

That's a Green Dragon (mostly Green Crack) from Lucky13, a Canadian breeder in BC ;-). I've run their Frostberry before and finished the end of August !!! There are some really good strains (just about all regular though) at Lucky13.

cpurola

cpurola

Thanks.

I had zero problems with anything. I harvested before things were "finished" but got a good crop with nothing spoiled.

That's a Green Dragon (mostly Green Crack) from Lucky13, a Canadian breeder in BC ;-). I've run their Frostberry before and finished the end of August !!! There are some really good strains (just about all regular though) at Lucky13.
I am so glad you had good results, I ordered seeds before checking to see if they're ligit. I just placed another order for their Frostberry because it is supposed to finsh fast. And there you are saying it finished in August! Fantastic!
Regular seeds are a bit more fiddely, but obviously they know what they're doing.
Can I ask approx. where you are? Just trying to compare your season with mine in southeast Michigan.

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

I am so glad you had good results, I ordered seeds before checking to see if they're ligit. I just placed another order for their Frostberry because it is supposed to finsh fast. And there you are saying it finished in August! Fantastic!
Regular seeds are a bit more fiddely, but obviously they know what they're doing.
Can I ask approx. where you are? Just trying to compare your season with mine in southeast Michigan.

They're not only legit Lucky13 but is one of my favorite seed companies.

I'm Ottawa area. Michigan will be really close to Ottawa for the weather and light.

Favorite strains but for different reasons include the Hawaiian (6 ft. sativa inside), Pineapple - inside (lady having cancer treatment used for nausea - like nothing else she tried), Frostberry (so early outside) and the Green Dragon (big and impressive outside). Quality of seeds is great regardless of what strain you pick.

cpurola

cpurola

They're not only legit Lucky13 but is one of my favorite seed companies.

I'm Ottawa area. Michigan will be really close to Ottawa for the weather and light.

Favorite strains but for different reasons include the Hawaiian (6 ft. sativa inside), Pineapple - inside (lady having cancer treatment used for nausea - like nothing else she tried), Frostberry (so early outside) and the Green Dragon (big and impressive outside). Quality of seeds is great regardless of what strain you pick.
Thanks so much! I'm not crazy about having to deal with regular seeds, but if the seeds produce healthy plants, I'll deal with it.
I only grow outdoor, so vigorous, mold resistant plants are mandatory. I've lost so many plants these last 5 years...
What did you feed them? And did you spray or use biologicals?

I picked their shortest season varieties:
Angel '98
Okanagan Grape
Peanut Butter Herijuana
Purple Prozac
Romulan Warp Drive
Skystone
LAX
Frostberry
Blood, Milk and Sky

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Thanks so much! I'm not crazy about having to deal with regular seeds, but if the seeds produce healthy plants, I'll deal with it.
I only grow outdoor, so vigorous, mold resistant plants are mandatory. I've lost so many plants these last 5 years...
What did you feed them? And did you spray or use biologicals?

I picked their shortest season varieties:
Angel '98
Okanagan Grape
Peanut Butter Herijuana
Purple Prozac
Romulan Warp Drive
Skystone
LAX
Frostberry
Blood, Milk and Sky

I expect you will be VERY happy with your choices. I like regular because they give me the biggest, healthiest plants.

The Angel '98 will likely be better inside. I've grown Frostberry and Okanagan Grape outside (pic below). One Frostberry was purple, one green. Zero health issues.

The Green Dragon got water about a dozen times all summer and a little Megacrop mixed into the water about 6 times so it didn't get much in additives. I used a bit of aged manure and Promix mixed in the earth when I put the plant out. It was started inside mid March and went outside for a bit for a week to harden it off end of May. The Green Dragon plant was in a sun location but protected on one side by the garage. It was also where water ran off a spruce tree. I'll use the same spot for outside grows this year. Where you plant makes a big difference.

DSC01712a

cpurola

cpurola

I expect you will be VERY happy with your choices. I like regular because they give me the biggest, healthiest plants.

The Angel '98 will likely be better inside. I've grown Frostberry and Okanagan Grape outside (pic below). One Frostberry was purple, one green. Zero health issues.

The Green Dragon got water about a dozen times all summer and a little Megacrop mixed into the water about 6 times so it didn't get much in additives. I used a bit of aged manure and Promix mixed in the earth when I put the plant out. It was started inside mid March and went outside for a bit for a week to harden it off end of May. The Green Dragon plant was in a sun location but protected on one side by the garage. It was also where water ran off a spruce tree. I'll use the same spot for outside grows this year. Where you plant makes a big difference.

View attachment 2106074
Wow! Looks great! Is the fencing to support or keep critters out?
And did you top or thin?
Sorry for all the questions, but I want to be prepared this year.

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Wow! Looks great! Is the fencing to support or keep critters out?
And did you top or thin?
Sorry for all the questions, but I want to be prepared this year.
Fencing is for support. Winds in August break plants too easily especially when they get taller.

I usually top inside once and after that outside plants don't get thinned.

I'm on the forum to share. Thanks for the conversation.

cpurola

cpurola

Fencing is for support. Winds in August break plants too easily especially when they get taller.

I usually top inside once and after that outside plants don't get thinned.

I'm on the forum to share. Thanks for the conversation.
Great!
Not alot to do until Spring, so I'm getting all my ducks in a row. Need to find a good landscape place to buy a truck load of peat from.
Then I'll amend it with the usual. Figure it's cheaper than following the Professor's formula for 12 plants.
AND, I have to stop buying seeds! I guess as I get older and realize I have a limited number of seasons left to grow, I want to do it all, NOW. LOL

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Great!
Not alot to do until Spring, so I'm getting all my ducks in a row. Need to find a good landscape place to buy a truck load of peat from.
Then I'll amend it with the usual. Figure it's cheaper than following the Professor's formula for 12 plants.
AND, I have to stop buying seeds! I guess as I get older and realize I have a limited number of seasons left to grow, I want to do it all, NOW. LOL

Hurry up and wait :-).

There's a lot more of that than any thing else for outside grows.

Stop buying seeds? I don't understand ;-).

Rooke

Rooke

Now is the time to plan, for sure.

Figure out when to put them outside and back up from there. I think it's best to put them out near the summer solstice, when the sunlight is at its longest duration. Where I live, that's about 16 hours. Setting the grow light on-time to coordinate with the daylight duration can help.
I start germinating mid April so around the first week of June they are about 6 weeks old and pretty hardy what love growing it said re: your indoor lights is very critical in my stoned ass world timer for me is set to 30 min before sun rise and 30 after sun set. I’ve had very good results since I started using this method. Check out my outdoor pics I’m near Kingston Ontario

I would use it. There are ways to get rid of spider mites. Pests are a frequent problem when growing outside, so dealing with them needs to be part of your planning.

I reuse my soil. I keep it in a plastic bin when I'm not using it. I keep it moist and stir it occasionally. I don't add nutrients. I wait till I have plants growing in it and feed them as needed. Basically, it's composting while it's in the bin. When I'm ready to use it, I put it in another bin and mix in some amendments like perlite or earthworm castings before putting plants in it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom