Upgrading my grow room/closet...what would be the most efficient setup? Pics inside

• Thread starter hashit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hashit

hashit

Hello Farmers!

I currently run a 400w system in my walk in closet, which has the following dimensions: 3.2ft wide x 6ft long x 8ft high

Here are some pictures:

http://invalid.com/hbe8v.jpg
http://invalid.com/XpEcc.jpg
http://invalid.com/DzIi2.jpg
http://invalid.com/bg29N.jpg

The ducting is a temporary solution for now, as I plan on running it a bit more efficiently. The ducting runs through the attic and exhausts outside. I place a Can33 before the cool tube once I hit flowers...temps stay in the high 70's.

I have recently removed the old dresser in there, leaving me with a lot of space. I was thinking of throwing a 600w in there, but I am now thinking of a 1000w with a Sun Master 2 air-cooled hood.

The other option was to add another 400w, but I only want to run one ballast for the moment...I guess that's my only constraint for now. I am going to purchase a portable AC unit, which should help out with temps if I decide to go with a bigger light.

Now, my goal is to harvest close to 1lb dry, but I know that will take some work and a couple of grows in order to get everything dialed in.

Now the question is: What would be the best system to implement in that grow space? I usually grow 4 - 6 plants under the 400, so I'm assuming I should be able to fit around 10 - 12 plants, and expect a yield of about 1.5oz dry per plant, which should meet my goal.

I am open to suggestions...anyone?

BTW, I'm a soil grower, but open to different methods, preferably a DWC or RDWC...

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I would go for the 1000. The lumens are way better, and the heat is barely over what a 600 puts out. As far as your methods, I would maybe try a run, with upgrading the grow hardware, but using the same soil methods you are familiar with. Do you have any circulation fans? I didn't see any in the pics. The AC is definitely a good idea. What kind of temps and humidity does your old setup run? Maybe after a good run with the upgrades, you can think about trying a DWC. If you go that route, they get so big, that you probably would be best running only 1 plant.

hashit

hashit

I would go for the 1000. The lumens are way better, and the heat is barely over what a 600 puts out. As far as your methods, I would maybe try a run, with upgrading the grow hardware, but using the same soil methods you are familiar with. Do you have any circulation fans? I didn't see any in the pics. The AC is definitely a good idea. What kind of temps and humidity does your old setup run? Maybe after a good run with the upgrades, you can think about trying a DWC. If you go that route, they get so big, that you probably would be best running only 1 plant.

The room was bare when I took the picture. I have a couple of fans that circulate the air in there...but my air intake isn't efficient. Currently, fresh air comes from under neath my door, which has a wide 1.5 inch gap at the bottom...when I am in the room with the door closed, I can feel the 400cfm inline fan sucking in the air. The humidity hovers between 45 - 65%, and the temps stay in the upper 70's to low 80's during the summer time.

I will stick to soil for the first run and I will hopefully see a difference!

Now, I am thinking of starting seedlings using the 400watt, then blasting them with the 1k a few weeks into veg. 6 - 8 plants is what I will start with. Given the small number of plants, I plan on topping and FIMing them to get the best yield possible.

Anything I should look out for?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I'm sure that you will see a huge difference with the 1000.
As far as veg, I would use the 400 and just switch up to the 1k when you go to flower.

What kind of AC unit were you considering?

Have you thought about just converting to a sealed room?

hashit

hashit

I was considering something similar to this model: http://www.amazon.com/Sunpentown-9-2c000-2dBTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner/dp/B000FCQ12Y

The only concern I have is the AC exhaust...I will have to attach it to the current ducting that exits out through the attic. I can probably retrofit a Y adapter and make it work.

As for a sealed room..it has ran across my mind once, but it seems a bit complicated for right now...I know that I would have to add a co2 system...I will have to do research on this subject...

I have my last grow under the 400 documented...its in the sig..you can take a peak tehre to see my current system in action.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I don't know much about the different brands of portable AC's, but I would say that one should probably do the trick in that small area. If there are any portable units out there with manual controls instead of digital, that would be desirable. The reason is if you have a power outage, it will come back on. Some electronic units will do the same. Always test to be sure of your unit. I don't think that I would connect that exhaust to the current duct that you have for your fan. The pressure from the fan blowing into the dame duct might flow back into the ac unit, or impede it's exhaust flow. I would just cut a 4" hole in the ceiling, and mount a small 4" flange to that for hooking the duct up to. I know that the sealed room brings some more complication and cost, but the performance is much better, and the smell factor outside the room is nada. The only problem with using the ac with your current setup, is that the unit will work harder to cool less, because you are constantly removing the air that you are cooling. The only real expense above and beyond what you are already getting is the co2 tank setup, and the controller. Although, the great news is that your yields will increase from that upgrade.
I did check out your last grow on here. Quite respectable, and looked tasty.:rauch08:

Latest posts

Top Bottom