Urine as a fertiliser?

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

I've heard all kinds of stories of people pissing in their reservoir....and there are threads over at other boards talking about it, so it's nothing new.

The real question is, what's your view on it? Any of you using urine for your plants?? Fess up... enquiring minds want to know :)

U

USMCtanker

lol was just thinken that other day, i was in my veg room pruning and had to piss and my lazy ass dint wanna walk to bathroom so ithoght about it. but i had no idea so i didnt lol. good ? tho lol i wanna know

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
It's 1 cup of urine to a gallon of water but you can find a much better source of nitrogen LOL

U

USMCtanker

lol well next time in there watering and gotta pee ill know where to go lol:D

T

Thick Smoke

i dont reccomend pissing on your plants, or in rez. it is a good source of nitrogen and will work, but seriously?

i know some mexicans south of the border. they save there family's piss and use it on there crops. then they laugh there asses off at the americans that they sell it to.

7rayos

I don't doubt of the virtues that (diluted) urine might have, for starters it should take the ph down, probably a good anti-oxidant, maybe also good for wild animal dissuasive purposes. However, the overall effect is at best dubious, so, if one pisses on the plants, one pisses on the plants. Even accepting a reason to do that i think it's just eschatological self denial, nothing a good squeezed lemon cannot do.

leadplant

leadplant

its works great, nothing gross about it.
just be sure to dilute as Zoo said.
mostly N and some micros too but it depends
on your ( the pee-er's, not the plant's) diet.
use it for veggin.

P

ProGroWannabe

I'm not going to attempt to be technical here, but instead I'll add a little something to what leadplant said....diet.

I want the only changes to my plants' nutrients to be purposeful, and well understood changes. Therefore, I want my nutes to be relatively fresh, well blended, and predictable. What's in my piss besides amino acids, nitrates, and water? I don't know. But what I DO know, is that it changes every single day and several times a day.

IMO, ya might as well close your eyes when reaching for a nute bottle, and keep them closed as you pour it in. My opinion is a bit extreme, sure, but do you know what's in your piss.....I don't. And if I don't know what IS in it, then I don't know what's NOT in it either.

F

FastForward

Once I've got a mother plant I'm still going to try growing something in pee....got to be worth a try...

P

ProGroWannabe

Lol FF...got a carbon scrubber in that veg space for the piss smell? That might get a bit rough on the nostrils.:giggle

F

FastForward

heh...wanna see something really gross?

IMG 4923

I think I need to drink more water ;)

Will start the fun tomorrow...

R

rome

stolen from wiki

Fertilizers

Urine contains large amounts of urea, an excellent source of nitrogen for plants. As such it is a useful accelerator for compost. Urea is much less toxic than ammonia and is formed by the indirect combination of the byproducts of deamination (2 NH3 molecules) and cellular respiration (1 CO2 molecule). Other components include various inorganic salts such as sodium chloride (sodium discharge is called natriuresis).

[edit] Gardening

Urine has applications in gardening and agriculture as a fertilizer. Gardeners often recommend a dilution of 10-20 parts water to one of urine for application to plants and flower beds during the growing season; undiluted urine can chemically burn the roots of some species. Urine typically contains more than 50% of the nitrogen and phosphorus and potassium content of whole sewage, and is widely considered as good as or better than commercially-available chemical fertilisers or stabilised sludge from sewage plants. Urine is also used in composting to increase the nitrogen content of the mulch, accelerating the composting process and increasing its final nutrient values.

7rayos

Actually the expression "take the piss" has a lot of story behind, as it was a very valuable in every victorian household, to the point of, when inviting someone for dinner, it was of good etiquette to pee before you leave, or being thought of as a mean bastard if you held on and took it home with you. The pharma was buying it. The victorian diet had few E-103's on it.
Now, the thing is what pee. It's not the same cow pee than the one produced by potnoodle fuelled organisms. Again, hardline ecowarriors might take a pride on that. It also says it's better than chemical fertilisers, but says newt of other organic prods, such unbeatable worm humus for nitrogen.

B

bannana man

if the person dont smoke or drink alcohol and eats healthy then nothing wrong with useing it

F

FastForward

I reckon I'm about 2 weeks away from having a mother plant large and mature enough to take cuttings from....but then I'm going to kick off a side by side grow..... rainwater v urine v tapwater v canna....

L

lovelightpower

good thread man!
i gave it a go on my whole space, but i found i needed more urine than i could supply.
10-20 parts water to one of urine was the ratio i was using. i think it really depends on how much water you have drank, and what you have consumed.
good luck man, looking forward to hearing your progress.
respect to you FastForward!

Top Bottom