Use Phosphoric Acid To Ph Down Is Safe?

• Thread starter nikson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nikson

nikson

can i use Phosphoric acid to ph down ?
Is there anything special I should know?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes you can but I would not recommend doing so. Phosphoric, nitric and sulfuric acid will all work as ph down. Food grade phosphoric acid is the best choice when using DIY ph down for consumed products. I cannot remember 100% but I think most ph down is majority phosphoric and some nitric acid. Make sure it is Food grade.

What strength will you be using? It is imporatant to wear proper PPE when handling these products and I would suggest diluting it below 30% with distilled water for storage and handling. The lower the better for not only safety reasons but also so you don't burn your roots if you adding it directly to a reservoir. It's very important to add the acid to water as it can cause explosions, very rapid high heat, and toxic fumes. DO NOT ADD WATER TO ACID.

S

Simplicio

Don't forget that phosphoric acid contains phosphorus.
I don't know whether a plant can access P in the phosphate ion, but if so, it could produce phosphorous toxicity.
I wouldn't risk it. Plants seem to be able to get the N out of the Nitrate ion.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Don't forget that phosphoric acid contains phosphorus.
I don't know whether a plant can access P in the phosphate ion, but if so, it could produce phosphorous toxicity.
I wouldn't risk it. Plants seem to be able to get the N out of the Nitrate ion.
What??? are you kidding me?
GH uses food grade phosphoric acid in their PH down its the main ingredient at somewhere between 10-30%. Look at the last page on this link. https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/gh-ph-down-msds.pdf I cannot remember where I found the info on the concentrations since it was forever ago. None the less concentration really doesn't matter as once you reach the PH you want the same amount of total acid is used no matter what it has been diluted to.

Phosphoric acid is by far the best option of any acid. There is some evidence that sulfuric acid is carcinogenic, nitric and citric acid do not hold PH as stable or as long as phosphoric acid but can be used.

S

Simplicio

GH uses food grade phosphoric acid in their PH down its the main ingredient at somewhere between 10-30%. Look at the last page on this link. https://www.1000bulbs.com/pdf/gh-ph-down-msds.pdf I cannot remember where I found the info on the concentrations since it was forever ago. None the less concentration really doesn't matter as once you reach the PH you want the same amount of total acid is used no matter what it has been diluted to.

Phosphoric acid is by far the best option of any acid. There is some evidence that sulfuric acid is carcinogenic, nitric and citric acid do not hold PH as stable or as long as phosphoric acid but can be used.

Thanks for the correction.
Evidently the plants can't access the P from the phosphate ion.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Vinegar? I heard to use it for cleaning my ph pen. Jw if it works in a pinch

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
You def can but you are going to want to dilute it first in water.

elcolombiano

elcolombiano

It will work in a pinch but will not hold ph stable in my experience for more than a couple days if that.

So for a nute solution that sets at 6.6 after prepared and to be fed daily in Coco, can I lower it with vinegar without problem?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Im going to be using P acid. Food grade 85%....ph is at 7.2 need it at 6.4. What ph should the input wate water be
Thanks

johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

100% agree been using phosphoric for 30 years. that is all that was really available. use citric too but it is expensive and has it's own issues . it does add some phosphorus but not huge unless you are running recirculating system and even then you will probably remix before that is a issue. some formulas actually rely on you using it .home grown hydro sells a solution like this. DNS OR DNC? something like this...there is no phosphorus in that bloom .( a disgruntled employee gave me their formulas 20 years ago. I never used it but it was almost identical 5o one posted in the back of ROCKWOOL IN HORTICULTURE)

Top Bottom