Using a digital scale to know when to water?

• Thread starter ImpulsiveGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
XxHammer

XxHammer

I think the scale thing is too much extra work. I am trying to figure out a good watering pattern myself but I think it all comes down to just feeling out the pots since conditions vary so much. Putting a scale under each one and recording all the weights just seems like overkill to me. As you probably know, I just transplanted my ladies in 3.8gal pots yesterday and started their Veg, my plants have responded amazingly to the FFOF soil. They are all perky as fuck. I gave them a full watering tonight where each pot had runoff (probably a little too much actually), I am having trouble finding a good watering can that doesnt make a mess in my tent. So far I am 0/2. who woulda thought something as simple as a good watering can would be so difficult to find. I am going to try using this 2gal sprayer thing again. I think that may do the job.

For this stage, my light, my size pots, my size plants, and the FFOF soil... I am reckoning to have to water every 36-48 hours. In an ideal world, I would water every other night. That is what I am going to shoot for as long as my plants dont complain or seem too dry.

Is that moisture meter for the soil accurate at all?

Madbud

Madbud

Ok so you want it to go past the original dry weight before watering again? I figured you would wait till it gets close to the original dry weight... 🤔
Most fresh bags of loose soil are pretty moist (with the exception of compact bales) so going beyond the original moisture content is ok and the plant weight is negligible for the first month, at least my first month😄

Madbud

Madbud

I think the scale thing is too much extra work. I am trying to figure out a good watering pattern myself but I think it all comes down to just feeling out the pots since conditions vary so much. Putting a scale under each one and recording all the weights just seems like overkill to me. As you probably know, I just transplanted my ladies in 3.8gal pots yesterday and started their Veg, my plants have responded amazingly to the FFOF soil. They are all perky as fuck. I gave them a full watering tonight where each pot had runoff (probably a little too much actually), I am having trouble finding a good watering can that doesnt make a mess in my tent. So far I am 0/2. who woulda thought something as simple as a good watering can would be so difficult to find. I am going to try using this 2gal sprayer thing again. I think that may do the job.

For this stage, my light, my size pots, my size plants, and the FFOF soil... I am reckoning to have to water every 36-48 hours. In an ideal world, I would water every other night. That is what I am going to shoot for as long as my plants dont complain or seem too dry.

Is that moisture meter for the soil accurate at all?
The moisture probe has a scale, when the soils dry the needle points to a low number, when its wet the needle goes higher.

XxHammer

XxHammer

Yeah, I get the general concept of how a moisture meter works. I am just wondering if they are actually accurate and reliable or a waste of 20$

Madbud

Madbud

Yeah, I get the general concept of how a moisture meter works. I am just wondering if they are actually accurate and reliable or a waste of 20$
More accurate than your second knuckle. The 3-way works ok for moisture at depth, light meter works but the pH scale is useless imo.

quirk

quirk

Meters are a great way to check moisture levels at various depths and I find them to be an accurate double check on the weight method. As far as watering, I epoxied an extendable spout on my 1.6 gal Bloem watering can that is very functional for hard to reach spots. All items purchased at Home Depot, including epoxy for under $35.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Just get your dirt, spread it out to dry, then fill your pot. Weigh it. Your plant will weigh a little as it grows but that’s how you get your base line.
Ya I filled a pot yesterday and weighed it. I didn’t spread it out to dry tho.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Let’s not take the fun out of growing by calculating everything we do. I think a lot of you are trying to skip the steps that make people into real growers.🙂

707finisher

707finisher

I wait till the plants start drooping a little, the lower leaves will drop first, I try to get it then, within 6-8 hours from there it will hit full droopy and takes time for it to recover.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

I wait till the plants start drooping a little, the lower leaves will drop first, I try to get it then, within 6-8 hours from there it will hit full droopy and takes time for it to recover.
Sketchy for a new grower, too much stress in veg and as they get bigger the leaves that droop don't recover turn yellow and die. I get what you're saying it's a goods sign they need water but I'd rather not see them hang too much.

Top Bottom