using co2 to kill pests

• Thread starter boxmunch9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

boxmunch9

urban grower said getting your rooms co2 ppm up to 10,000 for 2 hours will totally kill any mites, or gnats in your room? anyone done this? it is suppose to be done with a tank and basically just empty it into your room with the outtake off, leave and come back in two hours and turn the fans back on. boo yah

G

grizz

I took mine up to 2500 plus for 10 to 5 minutes a day and killed those mites dead. It worked great.

B

boxmunch9

awesome, yeah i hear this totally destroys everything but your plants

B

boxmunch9

alright folks, i bought a 20lbs tank and got that shit filled. this after noon, during lights out, I put the tank in the room and turned the knob a little bit, thinking that all the co2 would be let out, so I left for about 2 hours, came back to check it and realized there was still like 80%of the tank left, so i said fuck the noise it makes and really opened the knob fully and let it sit for another hour, when i came back the tank was like a block of ice, and it was kinda stuck to the floor. when i went into the room i realized there is a void of air, you literally cant breath. so I went outside and got some breath then held my breath and ran in and turned my outtake back on. I i grabbed a couple fan leaves and took it in the bathroom to check it under light, and it literally killed 99%, at first i thought it killed 100% I had to look at the leaf for about 2 minutes to notice that one mite was crawling suuuuuper slow, so he might have actually been dieing infront of my eyes or maybe with another 10 mins in that room. I think that had i opend the tank fully when i first went down and then checked it 2 hours later i can bet that every single mite would have been dead. that co2 gets into every nuke and cranny of your plants. i will do it again in a week if i see any come back, because i feel like they only had the full 10,000ppm's for about an hour after i fully opened the tank. the mites are really only on this one grapefruit diesel i bought from a club, but the plant is caked with mites, every other plant seems to be fine.

B

Badmf

You're on the right track! I have always done 3500ppm for four hours making certain to seal all possible leaks. And caulk all openings and cracks as they will hibernate there. They "hear" other mites dying and escape til better times. I spray all surrounding areas with pesticides so there is a "line of death!!"

B

boxmunch9

yea i need to re-do it i just check the plant and it had some still. I need to give it the full 2hrs i might even do 3, the plants are asleep anyways. i forgot to get a floor fan to blow the co2 up off the ground too.

do you think a whole tank is enough to do a 10ftx 12ft room, when i walked in the room at first i gasped for air it was a crazy feeling in that room

B

Badmf

You do realise you can kill yourself right? and the plants can't be in that heavy of ppm for long! I would go no lower 3500-4000ppm for longer (4-5hrs) and follow with neem oil. Remember eggs may not be affected! they hatch and you'll be back where you are now.

B

boxmunch9

yea totally. I didnt breath in the room until i flipped on the vortex. yea ill keep it at the 2hr limit, i think that it will kill it all

M

Midnight

WOW !! I HATE THEM MITES !! :angry
NICE TO READ THIS HOPE I DONT NEED IT FOR A LONG TIME BUT GOOD INFO !!!!

J

januaryfirst

BUMP -

I see that no one has written here in a while. But I have read alot of different opinions on using c02 to kill bugs. And am looking for some solid answers, because I want to kill them dead with out pesticides. So here goes

-10000ppms are effective in killing mites, with three applications two to three days apart. For an hour.

- Is it true that it has to be at night or plants will get poisned by high levels of c02?

Can you use lower levels, say 5000ppm for two hours instead 10000ppm for an hour?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
5000ppm is toxic to humans. Using the guess method and holding your breath is like using a match to see how much gas you have left in a can. If you dont have a controller or a meter using c02 in this way is just plain stupid. There is alot easier ways to kill mites dead.

cannabeans

cannabeans

mites suck but...

really.... using co2 to kill them seems silly and redundant! no one has even mentioned the amount of stress this does to your plants. you might be killing the living mites, but you are leaving your plants stressed. that is when the bugs love to attack. over stressed plants are way more susceptable to a plethora of other bugs and disease.

PPMS THAT HIGH CAN KILL A HUMAN TOO!

M

MTgrower

really.... using co2 to kill them seems silly and redundant! no one has even mentioned the amount of stress this does to your plants. you might be killing the living mites, but you are leaving your plants stressed. that is when the bugs love to attack. over stressed plants are way more susceptable to a plethora of other bugs and disease.

PPMS THAT HIGH CAN KILL A HUMAN TOO!

I dont believe this is true. Plants don't overdose on Co2, and a level of 5,000-10,000 will not kill a human.

http://www.uigi.com/MSDS_gaseous_CO2.html

The Permissible Exposure Level is 5,000 PPM and Short Term Exposure Limit is 30,000 PPM.

I do agree that it is an ineffective method of pest control. I've taken rooms to very, very high levels of Co2 for extended periods. While it did kill many mites, it didn't kill them all, and if they aren't all gone, you still have a problem. The gas had no effect on the plants.

I don't know, maybe some plants can overdose on the gas, but I've never seen it stress or damage any of the plants we are concerned with. I've only ever seen treatments lasting up to 72 hours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom