Using Coco Pellets For The First Time

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

First time...gonna try running some coco pellets to germinate seeds. I'll probably pre-soak seeds for 12 hours and pop them in a dome. I got some of my own seeds to experiment on...before I break out the heavy hitters.

Any good or bad experiences with them? or tips?

hogheaven

hogheaven

Ive has variable results. Always been concerned about residue salt compared to rock wool or cotton

K

kolah

I planted some tester seeds in them (16 total) ....no pre-soaking or "wet napkin in a baggie" stuff I just popped them in the coco covered them up gently and put them in a dome. About half sprouted in a few days...and all of them have a very weird light green tinge to them. I find that a bit odd as they are a mix of different strains.

They do hold water well though and the coco is firm and stable enough to keep the seeds where you placed them. And loose enough for the seed to sprout through it.

I wonder if they make an organic brand.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I like peat for popping seeds, holds water better IMO. Light warrior does a good job. Popping seeds doesn't take much soil, so I don't mind buying bagged soil for my seed starts.

K

kolah

I used Light Warrior his year and it burnt my seeds...first time I experienced that. I have used LT in the past with stellar results so this is a first. Thus me trying new stuff. I always thought peat was too hot but I guess not, huh?

waayne

waayne

@kolah Light Warrior is a nice product,but Fox Farms has been known to have consistency issues from time to time.You probably got a bag that was too hot.

I'd pick up a bag of Black Gold Seedling starter and try that, Though Black Gold has consistency issues as well, I've never had an issue with their seed starter
IME all the soil companies I've used have quality control/consistency issues from time to time....

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

IME, peat isn't too hot. The ph is the issue most times.

Weird that Light Warrior burnt your seeds? I plant seeds into full season soil that is loaded up with no burn on most plants. Seeds are usually pretty hardy.

Top Bottom