Using dr earth. What else should i need?

• Thread starter Interested
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Interested

Interested

So first grow going the organic direction. I have happy frog potting soil and dr earth gold and homegrown (still trying to find flower girl).. my question is: do I need anything besides this? Am I going to run into any deficiencies down the road? Somewhat new to growing. (3 semi-successful grows before this using bottled nutes)..

Any tips will help.

Interested

Interested

Forgot to mention I'm growing indoors using Mars hydro LED lighting. Girls are about week old seedlings in solo cups

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I amend Happy Frog with mushroom compost, worm castings, organic perlite and three fourths cup of Dr. Earths flower girl, bloom booster. Let me know if you want or need the ratios. I water with seaweed, kelp and molasses. I never see any deficiencies.

Interested

Interested

I amend Happy Frog with mushroom compost, worm castings, organic perlite and three fourths cup of Dr. Earths flower girl, bloom booster. Let me know if you want or need the ratios. I water with seaweed, kelp and molasses. I never see any deficiencies.
Do you top dress with more dr earth later on? If so, how often and how much per gal? Or just follow the directions on the package? I plan on transplanting into 3 gal pots in another week or so... then eventually 5 or 7 gal.. also yes if I can get the perlite and worm castings ratio that you use, that would be awesome. Bcuz them are the 2 things that I do have on hand..

Thanks for the reply 👍 can't wait to see how these things turn out. Seems like a much simpler way to feed the girls without having to dump all these chemicals in every few days

mancorn

mancorn

Do you top dress with more dr earth later on? If so, how often and how much per gal? Or just follow the directions on the package? I plan on transplanting into 3 gal pots in another week or so... then eventually 5 or 7 gal.. also yes if I can get the perlite and worm castings ratio that you use, that would be awesome. Bcuz them are the 2 things that I do have on hand..

Thanks for the reply 👍 can't wait to see how these things turn out. Seems like a much simpler way to feed the girls without having to dump all these chemicals in every few days
Sorry to say it isn’t as simple as putting fertilizer in dirt and you’re feeding your plants. Organics need microorganisms to breakdown organic molecules and release the nutrients. You can have all the ferts in the world, but without the critters it will never be useful to your plant. If you’re growing outdoors in the ground, then you (probably) have tons of microorganisms which will break down your organics. But if you’re indoors in a pot, then most likely your soil won’t have any (or very little) microorganisms. Here’s a little cut and paste on soil biology;
Organic fertilizers rely on the mineralization process to release their plant-available source of nutrients. Soil has a complex and elaborate ecology of bacteria, fungi, protozoa and insects. These organisms use the larger organic compounds found naturally in soil and organic amendments as a source of food. When these organisms “eat” the organic material, the breakdown of the material releases ions that plants can use as food (hence “mineralization”). Plant roots will then take up these minerals as needed, or as they become available. The length of time required for full mineralization varies based on the soil environment, microbial species found in the soil and the specific mineral compounds contained in the fertilizer; full nutrient availability may take years after application. Balancing soil amendment applications based on soil analysis test results, combined with sustainable farming practices such as low till and cover cropping, can provide longterm, adequate soil fertility.

If you’re indoors, you’ll need to figure out a method of creating a “living soil” that is a combo of the microorganisms and nutrients. You can do this by using garden soil, adding compost, making compost teas, or buying “beanies” in a bottle - with the later being the most popular with tent growers. I’m not an indoor grower, so not wise on store bought microorganisms, but fair warning that it’s a fairly complex subject and weed sites are notorious for lousy bro-science. So while there are some very knowledgeable growers here, suggest you also look to other agricultural and education sites (like this https://extension.psu.edu/forage-and-food-crops/agronomic-crops/organic-production) to better understand the science.

Last edited:
Interested

Interested

Sorry to say it isn’t as simple as putting fertilizer in dirt and you’re feeding your plants. Organics need microorganisms to breakdown organic molecules and release the nutrients. You can have all the ferts in the world, but without the critters it will never be useful to your plant. If you’re growing outdoors in the ground, then you (probably) have tons of microorganisms which will break down your organics. But if you’re indoors in a pot, then most likely your soil won’t have any (or very little) microorganisms. Here’s a little cut and paste on soil biology;

If you’re indoors, you’ll need to figure out a method of creating a “living soil” that is a combo of the microorganisms and nutrients. You can do this by using garden soil, adding compost, making compost teas, or buying “beanies” in a bottle - with the later being the most popular with tent growers. I’m not an indoor grower, so not wise on store bought microorganisms, but fair warning that it’s a fairly complex subject and weed sites are notorious for lousy bro-science. So while there are some very knowledgeable growers here, suggest you also look to other agricultural and education sites (like this https://extension.psu.edu/forage-and-food-crops/agronomic-crops/organic-production) to better understand the science.
Hey man, this is some good info. The kinda stuff I need to know. I been doing some research on this type of stuff but it's a bit tough due to the fact there is so many different things on these forums you can read. It's actually really interesting to learn the ins and outs of soil.

So, I understand that a guy needs these microorganisms in the soil to produce the good stuff roots are looking for... and this comes from.. compost? Among other things.. Now, what I don't know is, where does a guy get some good compost? Store? Local farmer? Like I said before, I am very new, but very interested in learning this stuff.

Now about the "beanies".. is this something like the product called "recharge"? If so, I have actually used this stuff before without realizing what it even is. It's also available at a local store here. But maybe it's something completely different.

Thanks for the awesome info and hope to hear back from you

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

No, I never retop the soil but I do use organic teas and mycos though, and rub some extra amendments in. I’ll send you my mix and my feed schedule etc. Been using this method for the past five years. I never deal with deficiencies and grow some gorgeous flowers 🙂 I’ll send you my protocol in the morning.

F251C86F 4662 4545 A16B 7281B56DF12D
Last edited:
Interested

Interested

No, I never retop the soil but I do use organic teas and mycos though, and rub some extra amendments in. I’ll send you my mix and my feed schedule etc. Been using this method for the past five years. I never deal with deficiencies and grow some gorgeous flowers 🙂 I’ll send you my protocol in the morning.
Cool ya thanks.. that would be awesome. That's a thing I need to study up on is what a "tea" all consists of. Also when and how it should be done. It would be awesome to eventually get a good routine method down that works everytime.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

So first grow going the organic direction. I have happy frog potting soil and dr earth gold and homegrown (still trying to find flower girl).. my question is: do I need anything besides this? Am I going to run into any deficiencies down the road? Somewhat new to growing. (3 semi-successful grows before this using bottled nutes)..

Any tips will help.
I have a similar setup using Earth Dust base&bloom but they just went out of business. Im switching to Dr. Earth and Terp Tea bloom. Nothing to do but water and thats the hard part for me. Never pH that gross phoenix kidney killer water, lol. My only other must haves are Recharge and Yucca extract. Easy and basic bro

T

Titleist

This is why I stopped doing organic. Organic takes time to correct and it relies on the food chain in your soil to perform well. I still prefer soil but prefer vegan or salt based nutes in specific amounts to get the result I'm looking for. I'd rather have instant control over nutrient related issues that don't rely on a third party for success. Inorganic gives you what your microbes and beneficials do, it just doesn't take weeks to get there and can be started up or shut down faster. Not to bash, just noticing.

ELGenerali

ELGenerali

Regarding the microorganisms, how long does it take the microorganisms to break down the organics, and for those broken-down organics to be available to the plants?

I ask because I'm doing an Organic grow and realize my soil will only feed my plants around 4 weeks. Thus, I want to top dress my soil on the proper schedule, so the microorganisms have enough time to do their thing before my current soil runs out of "gas".

FYI - I use recharge and Fish Shit to add the necessary microorganisms to my grow.

Top Bottom