Using free app to measure LUX - Help!

• Thread starter Fridgegrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fridgegrow

Fridgegrow

So I've just downloaded a cheap app to test lux so I can then convert that into umols to get my light at roughly the correct height. Using this site: www.waveformlighting.com/horticulture/convert-lux-to-

Anyway when I first started growing I used a viparspectra 300w led and after a couple of grows I upgraded (or so I had thought) to a Mars hydro ts600.

Now I've just used the app under each light at the same height, and this is what happened.

Mars hydro ts600 - averaged 32000 lux
Viparspectra 300 - averaged 44000 lux

So my question is does that mean the viparspectra 300w is better than the Mars hydro?

Very confused. Any help appreciated.

Fridgegrow

Fridgegrow

The V is definitely making more light. I would use it
Definatley looks that way doesn't it, I just don't see how a 300w can out perform a 600w by that much. The vipar is a burble light where as the ts600 is just white light, maybe that has somthing to do with it. Looks like I better swap my lights round then I've been using the V to veg and Mars hydro to flower as I thought the Mars was the better light.

JJS009

JJS009

Most of those apps have a different setting for blurples, might wanna check the app and see

Fridgegrow

Fridgegrow

Yeah your right, just done some digging and apparently you can't measure multicoloured lights using a lux meter, or at least no where near accurately enough. Looks like I'll be OK the way I am then. Cheers

JoryK

JoryK

The Mars Hydro ts600 is only 100 “true” watts (at wall), not 600w. Ts600 is just their model number for it, just as their ts1000 is only 150?”true” watts, which is the wattage number you need to be paying attention to.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

LUX only reads white light correctly. That's why lots of growers don't like them. A quantum light meter reads more freqs of light and are far far more accurate. A friend is a photographer and he knows all about lights and meters, he grows as well.
Quantum light meters are $$$ though and lux are fairly inexpensive.

This makes me wonder if there is a color filter that could be mounted over the sensor to pick up additional spectra.... Hmmmm....

Fresh14

Fresh14

Definatley looks that way doesn't it, I just don't see how a 300w can out perform a 600w by that much. The vipar is a burble light where as the ts600 is just white light, maybe that has somthing to do with it. Looks like I better swap my lights round then I've been using the V to veg and Mars hydro to flower as I thought the Mars was the better light.
I have 2 ts600"s they only pull 100 watts from the wall.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

The viper is 130 watts and the mars is 100 watts, but the Mars is a full spectrum, which is better than a blurple.

Latest posts

Top Bottom