Using old soil?

• Thread starter Ray Bone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ray Bone

Ray Bone

Have some questions for you pros out there. I just moved and the old owner of the house has some huge planter boxes that I would like to use. She had tons of vegetables that I ripped out so I assume the soil is still good.

should is remove some of the soil and add top soil to it?

it is currently on a drip system so should I have to worry about adding nutrients?
Since none of the dispensary’s are open in California, should I start seeds now?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Using old soil
Greatlakes

Greatlakes

If I added anything it would be compost and as much of it as possible. Under that I would top dress with dry amendments like espoma or jobes
As well as adding some worms to it.

Purepiff

Purepiff

Hydro stores are definitely open in california. Also yes definitely use the soil again and just feed from the start. Seeds should have already been started but it's all good if u grab clones or pop seeds now

Purepiff

Purepiff

Mammoth p is a waste of money super expensive and they make outrageous claims like itll boost ur yield 20 percent lol. Also compost and worm castings is a good idea. Top dressing and dry ammendments are cool but there is nothing wrong with just using synthetic ferts and adding fish emulsion and seaweed/kelp powder to ur watering. Ull get great results without worrying about slow and fast release nutrients and also wont get the bugs and nasty smell and grime that top dress can build up to. I've had whole plants get stem rot from nasty top dress. It was the botanicare pellets and they were cow shit dominate killed like 4 plants

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Mammoth p is a waste of money super expensive and they make outrageous claims like itll boost ur yield 20 percent lol. Also compost and worm castings is a good idea. Top dressing and dry ammendments are cool but there is nothing wrong with just using synthetic ferts and adding fish emulsion and seaweed/kelp powder to ur watering. Ull get great results without worrying about slow and fast release nutrients and also wont get the bugs and nasty smell and grime that top dress can build up to. I've had whole plants get stem rot from nasty top dress. It was the botanicare pellets and they were cow shit dominate killed like 4 plants
That is odd... I grow in composted manure and amend my soil and top dress and never once had any issues. Infact many of my plants got around 7 pounds each past grow.

Purepiff

Purepiff

I had 100s that didnt have a problem too but I have had 4 die last season because of nasty top dress and tbh it is just easier and cleaner and more precise to just use synthetic. And the yield of a plant has very little to do with what u feed it.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

I had 100s that didnt have a problem too but I have had 4 die last season because of nasty top dress and tbh it is just easier and cleaner and more precise to just use synthetic. And the yield of a plant has very little to do with what u feed it.
Well I tend to disagree with that statement. In organics it's not about feeding the plant but feeding your living soil...so what you put into your soil has everything to do with the outcome of your plant from overall health to yield.
Ever since I switch from synthetics and seen the light... my yeilds and over all quality is out of this world. I will never go back. But hey to each their own.

Madbud

Madbud

Start seeds yesterday, solo cup half full, 4-1 soil to water, cover and warmth for 2-3 days. Works everytime. If they get away from you and
sprout too much just add more soil. If you put a clear cup in a colored cup you can watch the roots for planting. Best of luck!

Purepiff

Purepiff

I mean that pot size, genetics, environment and veg time play a way bigger role then what u feed. I understand the concept of feeding the soil and the soil feeds the plants but to me I like to cut out the middle man and feed the plants directly so I have more control. I am synergistic tho I use organic and synthetic to do only one way is foolish and proven to work better when u do it this way. They have research that shows that salts dont harm ur bennie bacteria so there really is no reason to go fully organic other then principle and that is a pretty crazy reason imo

caligirl

caligirl

I always reuse the soil in my 65 gallon smart pots and raised beds. I amend it with dry, organic plant foods and use fresh brewed microbial tea to reactivate the micro biology of old soil.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

I always reuse the soil in my 65 gallon smart pots and raised beds. I amend it with dry, organic plant foods and use fresh brewed microbial tea to reactivate the micro biology of old soil.
I usually make my own teas but have decided to use boogie brew this yr. Just seen too many amazing results with the stuff. Have you tried it?

Top Bottom