Using Random Forest Products/pond Water Questions

• Thread starter BudBogart
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

24/7 @ 75f or 18/6 dropping to 65f during lights out?

• 24/7 at 75f constant temp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 18/6 heat fluctuates between 75 and 65f

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
BudBogart

BudBogart

Our grow is in an orchard surrounded by forest, the most of which is virtually untouched. It seems being in the mtns means our topsoil and general compost runs downhill to the valley floor, but we are left with decomposing trees in every state of decomp. Vast amounts of tree turned composted bug poo is there for the taking. Would it be safe to use stuff like this as supplement to our garden soil?
Also, we have a pond that is filled by an underground creek during the rainy season. Do you think that water would be teaming with bacteria, etc. that is already found in our soil or should I stick with using well water coming from much deeper down?
One last question, would you rather grow out seedlings under 24/7 and constant 75f, or 18/6 where the temp drops to 65 during lights out?
Thanks for you advice.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Anything carbonaceous like that is going to fix N in a big way. Be sure to adjust for that.

I grow my seedlings out outside. They have to take whatever Mother Nature throws at them. Snow, frost, heat, wind, you name it.

That seasonal pond would be teaming with microbes, but I'm not sure they're the microbes you're after.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Anything carbonaceous like that is going to fix N in a big way. Be sure to adjust for that.

I grow my seedlings out outside. They have to take whatever Mother Nature throws at them. Snow, frost, heat, wind, you name it.

That seasonal pond would be teaming with microbes, but I'm not sure they're the microbes you're after.
Thank you for the info. I guess a much safer experiment would be to use the pond water on another type of plant and see if magic happens, lol. Reality check.
May I ask when or what criteria you use to determine when to start growing up here? This is my first attempt at an early start by using lights and heat.
Thank again

Top Bottom