using tap water in rez

• Thread starter bmf725
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bmf725

I have been using tap water in my aeroponic rez. The ppm is about 200 and ph of 7.2 out of the tap. Needless to say I have been experiencing bad results. I started from seed 30 days ago and the plants are only 4 inches tall. after much research on the net i decided to change out the rez with distilled water and adjusted ph to 5.8. How long will it take for my babies to recover? I think they have mg lockout from too much calcium. I plan on buying a RO system. does anyone have advice on using a Ro water rez with a float valve to turn it off when full?
http://i886.invalid.com/albums/ac61/bmf725/100_0324.jpg
http://i886.invalid.com/albums/ac61/bmf725/100_0325.jpg

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

top looks like Mg, bottom Ca.

when i run into plants that are shocked for extended periods of time i just drop them into soil, and move on. often they will bounce back that way, but if they dont your not waisting your system...

hiboy

hiboy

Yeah some tlc will bring em back along with corrected ph and ppm water. Get your humidity above 50%.
hiboy

darlingmaster

darlingmaster

Distilled water has no cal or mag in it, just like RO water. You didn't mention the type of nutrients you're using but usually when using RO water you need to add cal/mag.
What nutes are you using? What nute strength? What are you ph'ing to after you add your nutes?
I highly doubt your tap water is the cause. My tap comes out at 350 ppm and I use GH flora series and I've never had any problems whatsoever.

S

SSHZ

Typically, if your ppm is over 250, most will recommend using an r.o. device and adding 5-10ml of cal/mag to each gallon of water you use. Anything over 250, you will typically experience issues since it throws all your nutes out of balance. Too much of this, too little of that and it's only a matter of time for some lockout to occur.......

P

Plinkerton

does anyone have advice on using a Ro water rez with a float valve to turn it off when full?

Just installed one of these last night. Essentially plug and play, and works great.

Just match the outer diameter of your hose off your RO, and plug it into the quick disconnect. Mount the float valve in a Brute trash can, or whatever you're using as a res.

Easy as brownies.

M

MMRC Grower

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running tap water, unless your tap is nasty and hard, or your trying to promote beneficial organisms (which most people i see aren't.)

Run your tap water and dont worry about CalMag. Tap water has plenty of Calcium and Magnesium, and so do most base nutrients. Adding CalMag will only raise levels and probably cause lock out, unless your using it very lightly.

Your using a home made aeroponic system. The main things you should be concerned about is PH and water temperature. Keep the water temps below 75 degrees and keep that PH between 5.8 and 6.3. Thats happy aero PH.

Based on your pictures... I would keep PPM around 500, until they get a little bigger. Then the bigger they get, the higher the ppm.

So make sure to use a good base nutrient, keep your water temps in check, along with your ph and they'll perk up in no time.

As far as a float value goes. A float value only cause unwanted pressure build up in your RO system. If your not there to regulate it, its best to install an overflow, then it is to install and float value. As soon as your res is full, it will reach an overflow that will drain to waste. Spending all extra water down the drain. Its a waste of water, but its much better then setting up a float valve that will increase pressure in your RO system and lead to a much shorter life.

M

MMRC Grower

One last thing one tap water.... If your plan to run any kind of beneficial..... DO NOT use tap water. If your running a sterile system... then run all the tap water that you want, as long as you give it a chance to dissipate some of the chlorine. And make sure that your taps ppm isn't too high. Otherwise you can get Magnesium lockout from too much calcium.

Top Bottom