Using Uvc For Air Cleaning

• Thread starter DemonTrich
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowzNCali

GrowzNCali

Seems like a good price. No experience at all. How difficult are they to integrate with an existing HVAC system? Is your HVAC system dedicated to the grow or shared throughout your home?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Did you get the one with or with out ozone? The one w/o says it'
Perfectly safe to use near ppl.

I chose with out so I don' kill my plants or my family. I bought 2. 1 for the grow hvac building, and one for the house hvac.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Seems like a good price. No experience at all. How difficult are they to integrate with an existing HVAC system? Is your HVAC system dedicated to the grow or shared throughout your home?

I have a separate building for my grow. I have an existing humidifier part for both hvac systems. Both do not get used. So I'll put a cap where the duct work was, secure/screw the uvc light contraption to the back of then. So when the hvac is on, athenair passes by the lights and gets clean.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Anyone use uvc light for air cleaning? Like what they use in hospital settings? I just pulled the trigger in this unit to install in my home hvac system. https://www.lightexports.com/ultram...dSFRO4tIlQRG32v5TkogjD7y_cFTLTShoCtTwQAvD_BwE

I wonder if tbis could also be used in gardens to help those with pm issues.

Do NOT order from this company. Customer service is utter crap. They STILL haven' shipped my order. STILL!!
Even though I paid for expensive express shipping. Understand the holidays, but that' no excuse. I was emailed a tracking number Wednesday, it' fnFriday, USPS says they still habe NOT got the package to ship yet.

WYD

WTF is happening with businesses in this damn country. Food quality went to shit, wages are crap, and business just take your $$, then sit on their hands when it comes time to ship. And don't get me started in quality auto repair either.

Last edited:
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Do NOT order from this company. Customer service is utter crap. They STILL haven' shipped my order. STILL!!
Even though I paid for expensive express shipping. Understand the holidays, but that' no excuse. I was emailed a tracking number Wednesday, it' fnFriday, USPS says they still habe NOT got the package to ship yet.

WYD

WTF is happening with businesses in this damn country. Food quality went to shit, wages are crap, and business just take your $$, then sit on their hands when it comes time to ship. And don't get me started in quality auto repair either.
Its human nature to do the minimum work for the maximum reward.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

WYD

I feel ya man, I put A LOT o money into a 25lb ethanol extractor. Was promised that it would start building out and shipping and would all be done in 2 weeks. That was 2 months ago, it's just now starting the shipping process from across the world. Having money floating around in the air is bull shit, especially when its a tool that makes you more.
Good info about uv, I just may pull the trigger, PM is a problem here up north.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
STILL has not been delivered to USPS.

Wtf

Calling cc now to do a charge back
Some items i order take 2 weeks to make or build... i give it 7 days unless they state build time. I do love my cc company. .theyll stop payment and investigate for me

P

PharmHand

Marijuana growth and UV-C.

I work for a prominent UVC company and I’d like to clear up a few things here in this blog if I may…

UVC does in fact have a germicidal property and when used properly can be very helpful to marijuana growers. While many have experimented with direct exposure on growing plants or in a dry room, our research has found that without knowing exact dosages being applied and duration it is hard to nail the sweet spot between “no effect” and “hurting the plant”. We continue to work on defining this but there are so many variables, it is difficult to turn this into a black & white solution for the masses.

We prefer to try to control spore counts through air cleaning the environment of the grow and/or drying room. Our best results have come from 2 practices. Where the plants are inside a facility with central air, we install Very High Power UVC Emitters next to the cooling coil to keep the system from becoming its own breeding ground on the coil and to zap spores on fly-by. Where there is no central air, we have filled rooms with standalone commercial air cleaners either on the floor or suspended above plants. Each machine effectively cleans 1000sq.ft.

UVC does not penetrate. When it hits a surface, it bounces. The dangers of UVC exposure are temporary but in the case of eye exposure can be very painful. It is like a welder’s flash burn. It feels like sand is stuck between your eyelid and eyeball. Typical duration of the irritation is 48-72 hours. Exposure to bare skin can cause reddening like a sunburn but because it does not penetrate, it doesn’t draw melatonin and no tanning will take place. You can itch and get a peeling of the skin in an extreme case but your skin will not turn black and it won’t cause skin cancer.

When measuring UVC dosage, it is measured in “Microwatts per Centimeter Squared” (μW/cm2). The wattage of a lamp has no direct correlation to the dosage of output. Do not compare UVC bulbs by “watts”. Watts is the energy they consume, not the energy they emit. It is the dosage that measures the effectiveness of a delivery vehicle. UVC loses intensity exponentially as it moves away for its source so distance and time of exposure also become factors.

UVV or Vacuum UV light refers to another wavelength in the ultraviolet spectrum. Some UV-C devices also produce light in this wavelength. The manufacturers of these devices promote UVV as an added tool for IAQ control, saying that UVV attacks microorganisms, chemicals, and odors. While this may be true, it is important to understand that UVV (unlike UV-C) will also “attack” occupants in treated spaces by adversely effecting human lungs!

The reason for this is that the shorter (185 nanometers) wavelength of UVV light actually generates ozone. This occurs because UVV light reacts with oxygen to break it into atomic oxygen, a highly unstable atom that combines with oxygen to form O3 (ozone). The American Lung Association states that “exposure to ozone causes a variety of adverse health effects, even at levels below the current standard.” And the U.S. Food & Drug Administration says: “In order for ozone to be effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far greater than that which can be safely tolerated by man and animals.” The longer (253.7 nanometers) wavelength of UV-C light, by contrast, provides highly effective air, surface, and water disinfection without producing any harmful ozone.

The materials and methods of UV-C lamp construction determine whether a given UV-C device will produce both UV-C and UVV light or only the safer UV-C wavelength. Reputable UV-C devices do not produce any UVV.

Bottom line is that correct dosages of UVC applied correctly have shown to be very beneficial to Marijuana growers. UVC use will become more and more accepted as the successful installations we’ve done in the past couple years become more publicized.

Feel free to reach out to me if I can be of further help.
What’s your opinion of the photocatalytic oxidation type air cleaners? Like the air sniper or airoclean420? They’re super pricey but sound like they’d help and they claim to put out zero ozone. I’ve got a Honeywell uv light and an iWave ion generator in my handler already but tbh I have no way of knowing if it’s actually doing anything positive. Thanks

Top Bottom