Utility Pump Filters?

• Thread starter Bobby Smith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

I know that there are prefilters for inline and pond pumps, but does anyone know of any similar products for utility/sump pumps?

I run a 1/6HP pump to feed my system and would like to do everything possible to keep my sprinklers clean - anyone know of anything out there?

For some reason I thought there was some kind of fine nylon mesh you could put over the intake, but I might be crazy.

Thanks for any ideas.

Utility pump filters
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Bobby,
there are indeed nylon mesh bags that come in different sizes, to put your pump in. Hydro stores have them. You could also have something similar on the drain outlet as well if you like.

-TF

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use a 1/6hp sump pump, too, but no real need to filter for my application. Setting up some kind of good filtration for that sump pump, the way it's designed, isn't going to be easy. But, what I think I'd do is start with a large foam block and just set the pump on top of it.

Heh.. I think we have the same sump pump. I put a bunch of valves on the outlet so that I can change out hoses without getting my hands wet.

B

Bobby Smith

Thank you much ladies and gents :)

TF - I knew I wasn't crazy! The dude at Lowes looked at me like I had three heads.....

Seamaiden - that's the Utilitech 1/6HP guy - eats up 600 watts, and before I made the change to a gravity drain yesterday I had two of them running in my system (brutal electric costs).

Thanks to you both; gotta run by the hydro store within the week anyways so I'm hoping they'll have one.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

There are pump screen bags that has a pull string.

I am trying to make out what your trying to do in this picture. I see an upside down float witch would only let water back down hill if the line is not charged. A Massive overkill pump in an ez clone 30 site. The other 2 lines coming in strange also. Big water line then 3/4" x 2 to the ez30?

If you toss out what your trying to do we might come up with a better idea that uses less power.

B

Bobby Smith

Lol.......had heat problems in my EZ 120 for a minute (until I put it on a short cycle timer), so I imagine an EZ 30 with a 1/6HP pump would be a touch warm :) ....and yup, that's the first float valve I ever installed (last night), and definitely did it upside down :)

I appreciate your input and know that you're trying to help, but really I was just looking for a bag to keep my pump and sprayers clog free.

Here's the system it powers (two return pumps were eventually upgraded to the same 1/6HP pump as the feed, and then I got rid of the return pump altogether by building that reservoir you see pictured - it's nowhere near finished, last night was just a test run with it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLsQGDcTevs

And here's what I typed in my journal ten minutes ago:

"EDIT: also spent $100 at two different Lowes getting new fittings/tubing for a new water delivery system - going to upgrade to a 1.25" feed tube which then "Ts" off into two separate 3/4" feed tubes to feed the 2.25GPM sprinklers (.5" feed into each sprinkler) I've purchased.

The previous setup was .5" tubing into a .5" tee and two .5" tubing sections with "water diffusers" (not sprinklers), so I think the new setup should give me a lot more flow/pressure (but I'm assuming, I admittedly don't understand water pressure very well)."

budboy299

budboy299

Bobby, here is what I did....very ghetto and works perfectly.

I took a 5 gallon pail and drilled a ton of 1" holes in it all over.
Then I took cheap landscaping fabric (alright mother who can sew helped)
and made a couple bags/pouches out of the fabric.

Water and nutes flow through it very easily but no pcs of roots or anything.

I put the 5 gallon pail into the landscaping fabric bag and then my sump pump into that. Top ties up tight with a thin rope or string. Been just over a year for me on the same bag but I imagine you could easily through it in the washer on gentle or handwash to bring it back to original.

I did an upright Heath ledger build almost identical to yours but with 2 - 600 lights. 60 sites averaged .75 oz per site
would still use it but every once in a while I go away for a few weeks and I wasnt there to look after it and had problems with plants falling over etc from being too top heavy. Buds would grow to within 6 inches of bare bulbs with no problems whatsoever. Definitely watch for root issues though as some of my plants had 4-5 foot roots. hope this helps

budboy299

budboy299

Bobby, I forgot to mention that my stacks had 360 degree sprayers inside as well. Never had a clog while running the landscaping bags.

B

Bobby Smith

Bobby, here is what I did....very ghetto and works perfectly.

I took a 5 gallon pail and drilled a ton of 1" holes in it all over.
Then I took cheap landscaping fabric (alright mother who can sew helped)
and made a couple bags/pouches out of the fabric.

Water and nutes flow through it very easily but no pcs of roots or anything.

I put the 5 gallon pail into the landscaping fabric bag and then my sump pump into that. Top ties up tight with a thin rope or string. Been just over a year for me on the same bag but I imagine you could easily through it in the washer on gentle or handwash to bring it back to original.

I did an upright Heath ledger build almost identical to yours but with 2 - 600 lights. 60 sites averaged .75 oz per site
would still use it but every once in a while I go away for a few weeks and I wasnt there to look after it and had problems with plants falling over etc from being too top heavy. Buds would grow to within 6 inches of bare bulbs with no problems whatsoever. Definitely watch for root issues though as some of my plants had 4-5 foot roots. hope this helps

Budboy, thanks - appreciate your input.

Went ahead and ordered three Ecoplus bags from an aquarium store - have no problem ordering online from fish stores and I can't sew for shit :)

And yeah, Heath Robinson was the inspiration for my buildout - any other tips or anything you have for me would be awesome - stop by my thread (in my sig) and feel free to give any tips/suggestions - I'm a *reasonably* experienced flat grower, but this vertical thing is a whole new ballgame.

And the blueprint I followed used 3" PVC, but I spent another $1K to upgrade to 4" PVC for the extra root space :RastaBong:

Convex, appreciate the idea but I think I'm just gonna go with the Ecoplus bags and let my girl keep her pantyhose :)

budboy299

budboy299

Bobby, I followed your build for a while and really you have it covered. Chiller is a must for this setup I feel. Ran nutes every 15 mins for 30 seconds. Damn thing really sounded like a waterfall when it was on. I think you may run into a problem where the 4" necks down into the smaller line on the return. Rootclogging...but its also something easily fixed later on down the line if it does happen. At that point you would just wet-vac out the unit and put in a larger line.

On my set-up I ran a return line from the unit through my wall (basement) and down into an underground thermal cooling loop.
Dug a hole 6 feet down and 3 feet in diameter. then I coiled up 150 feet of 1" sprinkler hdpe tubing into it, the return came back inside to my reservoir. All summer the water was around 63 degrees. I did just bypass it for the winter though....way too cold!

Also my column were black so they warmed quite a bit till the canopy covered it. With your white tubes it will be better. May even be worth wrapping it in foil. I put clones in and immediately ran 12/12. Nutes were homemade copy of aqua flakes at 1.4EC along with homemade calmag+.
Just remembered you run cooltubes, so you may not end up with that problem at all.

Plants finished around a foot tall but were all bud. Local strain named Jack. Heavy Indica so not Jack Herer. Ran for 8 weeks then week of flush. Tried Molasses at one point and frothed so bad it was disgusting, dumped within 24hrs. Never again in hydro.

all I can think of for now but ask anything you think of -BB

budboy299

budboy299

almost forgot....key with this system is plants that stay compact. A buddy gave me some big bud to try. The Jack finished on average around 1 - 1.25 feet tall, Big Bud stretched to over 2 feet within the first 2 weeks after flip....immediately took it out as it showed no sign of stopping.
Go straight indica or something that will stay managable.

B

Bobby Smith

Convex - actually have some panty hose wrapped around the pump right now (doing some tests and couldn't wait for the bags to get delivered) - thought you'd get a chuckle outta that.

Budboy - actually changed up the whole delivery system yesterday and am installing two 3/4" return lines per side (so four in total) - also, those end caps come off pretty easily for checking and removing of roots, but clogging is definitely something I'm gonna keep my eye on.

Also beyond ironic that we both did this sort of setup and that I'm currently looking at geothermal cooling as well - we must be related :)

Also sounds like your unit was a "true" SOG unit - in order to stay <100 plants (even with mothers), I had to go slightly bigger so I think a 50/50ish hybrid that I can train a little bit will be my best bet for this system, although obviously time will tell.

Again, thanks so much.

convex

convex

LOL - Glad ya gave it a go - Sometimes you can't beat simplicity!

G

gudkarma

On my set-up I ran a return line from the unit through my wall (basement) and down into an underground thermal cooling loop.
Dug a hole 6 feet down and 3 feet in diameter. then I coiled up 150 feet of 1" sprinkler hdpe tubing into it, the return came back inside to my reservoir. All summer the water was around 63 degrees. I did just bypass it for the winter though....way too cold!

i have to say, excellent idea.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Well free fall is the most healthiest way to place DO in your water.
Keep in mind, if your air pump is inside of the room with C02. Expect Diluted C02 in you water VS Diluted Oxygen.

There is another product that you might be able to use. Its called Auto Drain. From CAP. It will only turn the pump on when the water gets to the trigger. This way your pumps will not suck in air.

I would place drop trip on each one VS a sprayer. Its easier to clean and fix if something is wrong.

Keep up the good work!

St3ve

St3ve

Yep you found em.. I was going to recommend the pump bag you found. They work very well and are easy to clean each run.

Latest posts

Top Bottom