UV on Cannabinoids

• Thread starter Matty Bucks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Matty Bucks

Matty Bucks

If this has been covered please direct me to thred.

When doing an alcohol extraction on flower, I take that strained and filtered dilute and put it in the sun for an hour to destroy the Chlorophyll and eliminate that green tinge famous with alcohol extractions. My question is. Am I destroying any cannabinoids in this process and diminishing the effects of those cannabinoids?
Thanks

BigCube

BigCube

Yes. But depending on the time left out, it's mostly negligible. It would have to be left out for days before you could notice it. Remember, these grow in sunlight.

quirk

quirk

Not a good plan Matty. Are you extracting properly dried decarbed bud? If so, you shouldn't have the chlorophyll problem.
I double bag in 250micron press bags to contain material.

DSCN0860
DSCN0861
DSCN1738 2
DSCN0872 2
threatco

threatco

I agree with quirk

You should not need to be putting the solution in sunlight.

If you notice the green color, you need to either be Colder, or Quicker for the most part.

Matty Bucks

Matty Bucks

I do extract in sub0 conditions but i tend to leave it over night or a little longer. I will play around with some times and see if I can improve my quality. I will also try the micron bags since I have them handy.

Thanks every one on the advise. Its been of great help 👍🏻✌🏻

threatco

threatco

Overnight is way too long. People currently debate over if 20 to 60 seconds is best. That's all that is needed to get the good stuff and leave the bad. Some say don't even shake. Barely stir.

If your worried about loss of product, do a second run the same way and test the difference

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Another option would be to put your buds in the sun. Any exposure to the sun or UV will egrade the THC to some degree... how long and how intense the light determine how much is affected. Another option would be to use already cured buds that have very little chlorophyll in them to begin with. I have always had the green tinge, but it was usually just something to keep me going until the next crop came in. Times have changed a lot. I tried making BHO but without all of the vacuum purging and stuff... just letting it set for a few days and had great results and much better than my alcohol extractions. As quickly as BHO extracts the goodies, I would guess that strong alcohol would extract it almost as quickly.

Top Bottom