Vac-U-Clamp DIY Vacuum Chambers

• Thread starter foaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
foaf

foaf

So they use Vac-U-Clamp bags to do vacuum laminating for wood and fiberglass applications. This is the small thick vinyl bag.

So I applied high density 1/2 weather strip on one of the 8x8 square Pyrex brand casserole dishes. This isn't for any kind of seal, its just a cushion. On the round pie dish I was playing with a bead of silicone, but its ugly and I like the weatherstripping better.

The bag can hold a hard vacuum, and I tapped around on the glass with the wood of a hammer handle to see if it was just waiting to implode, and it tolerates that. Ive done 3 runs with the square dish on a heating pad and it really is easy. I put the pump on an interval timer like I do with my honeypots when I use them as a vacuum chamber.

I like this better for sure, your casserole dish is your thin film vacuum chamber, easy as pie.

Vacbag1
Vacbag2
Vacbag3
Vacbag4
Vacbag5
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
thats pretty slick! question, won't the bag layers between ur tube and the glass container get sealed preventing gas withdrawal from the dish? Do u need a "shunt to keep it open?

confu

foaf

foaf

good eye.... yes, and look closely, people who use these for laminating put a wash cloth or other cotton like fiber between where the suction port is and the item, I put some poly batting....

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
nice! Ima have to try that.

confu

J

Jalisco Kid

So they use Vac-U-Clamp bags to do vacuum laminating for wood and fiberglass applications. This is the small thick vinyl bag.

So I applied high density 1/2 weather strip on one of the 8x8 square Pyrex brand casserole dishes. This isn't for any kind of seal, its just a cushion. On the round pie dish I was playing with a bead of silicone, but its ugly and I like the weatherstripping better.

The bag can hold a hard vacuum, and I tapped around on the glass with the wood of a hammer handle to see if it was just waiting to implode, and it tolerates that. Ive done 3 runs with the square dish on a heating pad and it really is easy. I put the pump on an interval timer like I do with my honeypots when I use them as a vacuum chamber.

I like this better for sure, your casserole dish is your thin film vacuum chamber, easy as pie.
Its been a while since I have seen you on the boards, glad to see you among the living. Thanks to you I have an addiction to good oil,works well on my bones.Better then my grandma's Carter Pills but not as good as my great aunt's tonic. You still playing with trees one at a time?
Stay well
JK

J

Jalisco Kid

Seems like it would bubble up and seep out around the weather stripping as you pulled a vacuum. JK

foaf

foaf

Even if you try, the weatherstripping isn't a vacuum worthy seal and I deliberately left a gap or two, it's just to smooth out the fairly extreme force that pushes the two glass vessels together and hold them in position.

and I'm just about to flip a SYK clone Bubba tree, Ill put up some pics once it's worthy. Thanks for stopping by man.

foaf

foaf

I just set it on a heating pad. I had put this thermostat on it but I don't anymore just because it usually gets to about 130 and stays about there without regulation. I like these thermostats, you get them from refrigeration supply companies and wire it yourself, heat or cool and this one is 15 amps.

Bho5
Top Bottom