Vacuum Cure And Storage

• Thread starter Noob grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Noob grower

Have been curing in 1 qt glass jars for about a month with a 62% Boveda pack in each jar. Have a rain bird humidity indicator that I move around jars and strains to check on levels. All the strains seem to come down in humidity and stabilize at 62% after about 2 weeks of opening and letting them sit for about a half hour every day. Now only open them for 5-10 minutes each day. All four strains have their unique smells and the smells definitely seem more refined and mature.

I bought a vacuum lid sealer attachment for our bag sealer. There seems to be mixed opinions about when to put them under vacuum for storage and if they should still be burped occasionally. Should I wait a few more weeks with burping them every few days and then put them under vacuum or is it OK to do it now?

I don't use because of my job, but my wife says that our home grown is vastly superior in smoothness and strength than the dispensary or professional growers stuff she's been getting the last few years.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Once the humidity is stable you don't really need to burp them anymore. I would cure in glass for 6 months (opening occasionally to smell the goodness) before vacuum sealing...but I'm sure 100 different people will tell you 100 different things. Maybe do a side by side and post up your results...take your four strains and divide them in half. Vacuum seal half, and then leave the other half in jars. Let them sit for at least a month or two and see if you notice a difference between the seal and the jar.

jammie

jammie

I do a slow dry and cure. Usually takes about a month, but I seal them within a week or so of jarring

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Vac seal.after rh is stable at 55% w/o the broveda pack. Then vac store w/o the pack. There's no need for it in there. I have some left over prized Kyle kushman strawberry cream from 2 yrs ago. Still smells.super dank, makes gg4 smell like Mexican brick. Potency, is about 75%. But is expected with stores flowers.

N

Noob grower

Thanks for all the advice. Will remove the broveda packs and see where rh stabalizes. Will then go ahead and vacuum pack about 2/3 of each one. That should give a good comparison.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Thanks for all the advice. Will remove the broveda packs and see where rh stabalizes. Will then go ahead and vacuum pack about 2/3 of each one. That should give a good comparison.

Keep us updated! I'd be really interested to see your results. Good luck and keep growing!

My wife says the same thing about our homegrown...she always made fun of me because I was a pot snob and she just thought "weed is weed!"...until I started growing and she could smell/see/taste the difference of good quality.

N

Noob grower

Have to say that this season has been an eye opener for me. We got a lot of rain starting in mid September and many new hobbyist growers have had crops ruined from botrytis. Will try auto flowering varieties next year to try to get the season to end early. Unfortunately, am hearing that potency and yield are significantly lower. Am thinking that's why commercial stuff is lower quality.

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

I personally think the best storage is in totes where you can allow some fresh air in move buds around
vacuum sealed for transportation

N

Noob grower

I would think it depends on why you are growing. For commercial use, don't see how it would be worth your while to cure or transport in jars. There is a lot of bulk to deal with so totes would make more sense. For the people just doing 3-4 pounds for personal or medical use, it's pretty low volume so I would think that jars make more sense.

And with jars, you can recover the trichomes left in the jar by swirling some alcohol around inside them.

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

Have to say that this season has been an eye opener for me. We got a lot of rain starting in mid September and many new hobbyist growers have had crops ruined from botrytis. Will try auto flowering varieties next year to try to get the season to end early. Unfortunately, am hearing that potency and yield are significantly lower. Am thinking that's why commercial stuff is lower quality.

Check out @mephisto.g (Mephisto Genetics)...They have seeds here on the farm and other seed banks. I haven't grown anything from them, but they look like a solid company run by people who love what they do and put real work in. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some real winners.

Top Bottom