Vacuum Purging Winterized BHO

• Thread starter pathquid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pathquid

Had some trouble with this during my last couple runs, anyone have any ideas?

After my winterization process, I lined a pyrex dish with parchement paper and poured the filtered winterized liquid in. I tried both small (50-100ml) batches, and larger quantities. No matter what I tried when I put the winterized liquid in the vacuum chamber, the evaporation was extremely problematic for a few reasons:

- The evaporated ethanol was very quick to liquify and mix with the vacuum pump oil requiring me to do very frequent full oil changes to keep up the vacuum
- The purging was extremely inconsistent: at many points the ethanol purged far too violently and caused a lot of mess in the chamber, but at the same temperature/vacuum at other times it wasn't even bubbling

Does anyone have any ideas to make the winterized purging process easier?

Also, on another note: I am using a griddle to heat my vacuum chamber, with the griddle set at 200, the oil heats up to around 100-120 depending on the spot on the griddle. I would really like to keep the temperature stable and am looking for ideas for induction between griddle and the chamber. Would sand be an effective solution?

Thanks!

Dbd143

Dbd143

i keep my griddle set at the lowest numbered setting which is 150 and the gives me wax i put it a little lower and it gives me temps for shatter as for why your stuff is doing that only thing i can think of for the reaction would be you not purging enough of the iso out. I just started with winterization those are just my thoughts. maybe h20 as well what kinda iso are you using

Dr Stupid

Dr Stupid

Here's something I used to do.

1. Put the winterized liquid directly in the pyrex without parchment paper. The bigger the dish the better. More surface area is key.
2. Take a fan and set it next to the dish. I used to let it run overnight. By morning most of the ethanol had evaporated. Whats left is mostly water( as far as liquid goes).
3. Now purge the sticky water/sap that you should be left with. Should lessen the liquid in your pump oil.

You will still get some water in the pump, but that cooks off like condensation in an engine. Same concept behind longer trips being good for your car, as the condensation is burned off. That doesn't happen on short trips in you car. I noticed my oil on my pump would cloud, and an hour later it would clear up again when purging the winterized sap/water.

Another thing you can do to speed up the evaporation before vacuum purging, is set the pyrex on the griddle for a few hours at like 110F (this is where a pyrometer comes in handy). The thing is, that if you get high and forget about it, you can decarboxylate your batch if you're not careful. And to an extent it will happen anyway, especially when you speed up the process. Anyway, hope that makes sense, and good luck!

Dbd143

Dbd143

to add to what dr said about the griddle, i would reccomend using a double boiler set up (one with hot water wath) ass if you were cooking tane off. along with the fan it will give you even layering on the pyrex quickly i use a fan over mine and i can cook off 6-8 ounces alcohol in about a hour maybe a little longer. just make sure your air circulation is good bc those fumes can make you sick. anyways yeah the double boil will stop it from burning if you forget worst that happens is you have to scrape the pan upside down to so the shatter doesnt fly everywhere.

Top Bottom