Vacuum Purging

• Thread starter FreshSteppin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FreshSteppin

Since everyone keeps asking and it seems no one has started a thread here I might as well.

I am not taking credit for this by any means just showing what I've learned. I found out about this through toke city. If you want to find that thread then google vacuum purge toke city.com

anyways the theory is to create a vacuum inside a container causing the butane to bubble out of the oil

This method doesn't require heat (though it does help speed things up if it is warm) and ensures that all butane has left the oil.

Personally I still purge on a warm dish because I do multiple runs so the oil sits for a while.

Once the oil starts to thickin up I begin the vacuum process.

On to the tools. A vacuum sealer or hand pump one will not get the pressure you need. The best tool is a mighty vac hand pump found at most automotive stores, used for bleeding brakes.

b5.jpg

Now there are a couple different methods. You can use a mason jar or just create a lid for the pyrex dishes. The smaller the container the better as there is less air to pump out.

I created a lid using a piece of plexiglass and rubber. The vacuum pump comes with a suction cup which is perfect for this. I simply drilled a little hole in the center.

c8.jpg

then you just pump away. Here in CO i've only been able to get up to 21 and it's takes a lot of pumping.

at sea level you should be able to get it to 25 or 26.

a7.jpg

I usually purge for roughly 30 min. and will release the vacuum and pump it back up twice.

d4.jpg

slight warmth is nice at this point as it will make the oil more viscous allowing the butane to escape easier. The main benefits of not using heat are that the color will not be affected (oil darkens with heat), you aren't decarbing of the thc or cannabinoids and the oil maintains a more consistent and presentable appearance. Often butter is due to to much heat, though I have come across many a strain that auto butter.

I'll post a step by step of how the oil reacts later.

B

Buddy Hemphill

toooo funny...

why did you send me a dick PM teliing me that no one discusses vac purging on this site and that I shouldn't bring it up?

and then open this thread...?!?...lol

fucking people...:winking0067:

good tek though.

Gave me an idea to work with on the set-up I am working on that I was telling you about.

thanks!

peace.

B

BudGood

Nice, mad props for sharing bro, I'm gonna go grab up the necessary items for my next run. Cheers!

B

BudGood

Fresh, did you attach the rubber to the plexi with adhesive? I was thinking of spray adhesive... I've just been using a widemouth mason jar with a hole popped in the middle in the meantime. I was able to pull tane out of days old oil, not much, but still something. The last run I did, it puffed up like some of the pics on TC.

I did find a new line of Pyrex dishes, that have "No Leak Lids". They claim to be "Leak proof & air tight seal", and they have a vent for microwaving. I'm gonna try to rig up something to one of the vents, see if it'd be possible to shoot into the pyrex, throw the lid on, and vac purge it after the majority of the butane is gone. I bought a deep rounded bowl, I seem to have an easier time scraping my round pie plate than my rectangular dish. If the No Leak Lid works, I may only need the plexi for my ol' trusty pie dish. :anim_30:

Oh yeah, I found some awesome little erl dishes at Walmart, in the candle area, only .50 each! I'll have to get a pic once my phone stops acting up...

you should get a metal pump itl last longer...

I seen a metal pump for 24.99 at Harbor Freight, it was US General branded, looked like the Actron. The boxing looked cheap as hell, didn't include much in accessories either (like the suction cup). So I bought a Mityvac 8000 for 39.99, it's plastic, but Harbor Freight is usually pretty good about exchanging broken/faulty tools, so I'll use the piss out of it til it breaks, then go get another one! :boogie:

That machine does look nice, it only goes to -23 though... Some of the hvac vac's I was checking out go a bit higher... Have to do a bit more research.

Will it make wax?

Some stuff will auto-budder no matter what you do. Some will budder from too much heat. Myself, I prefer rock hard amber over budder, seems to be more flavorful and potent. Plus it sits on my dabber much easier, budder requires a spoon-like apparatus to drop it onto hot Ti. Either way, it still vapes up nice, just personal preference. YMMV.

F

FreshSteppin

Fresh, did you attach the rubber to the plexi with adhesive? I was thinking of spray adhesive... I've just been using a widemouth mason jar with a hole popped in the middle in the meantime. I was able to pull tane out of days old oil, not much, but still something. The last run I did, it puffed up like some of the pics on TC.

I did find a new line of Pyrex dishes, that have "No Leak Lids". They claim to be "Leak proof & air tight seal", and they have a vent for microwaving. I'm gonna try to rig up something to one of the vents, see if it'd be possible to shoot into the pyrex, throw the lid on, and vac purge it after the majority of the butane is gone. I bought a deep rounded bowl, I seem to have an easier time scraping my round pie plate than my rectangular dish. If the No Leak Lid works, I may only need the plexi for my ol' trusty pie dish. :anim_30:

Oh yeah, I found some awesome little erl dishes at Walmart, in the candle area, only .50 each! I'll have to get a pic once my phone stops acting up...

I seen a metal pump for 24.99 at Harbor Freight, it was US General branded, looked like the Actron. The boxing looked cheap as hell, didn't include much in accessories either (like the suction cup). So I bought a Mityvac 8000 for 39.99, it's plastic, but Harbor Freight is usually pretty good about exchanging broken/faulty tools, so I'll use the piss out of it til it breaks, then go get another one! :boogie:

leak proof air tight lids can't hold neg pressure and buckle inward.

the mighty vac should come with a suction cup attachment - see pic above.

and

C

cannabinoid

lol fresh decided to spill the beans

the oil is far too viscous to really get all the butane out, maybe the miniscule amount on the surface. often times I've seen people mistaken pockets of air expanding as "purging". i suppose the smaller, flatter, and runnier your starting material is the more thorough of a purge you can achieve.

it's a great forearm workout however. :muscle

mityvac handles will snap over time, the piston sometimes goes out on the metal harborfreight pump. in the end i'd say go for the harbor freight, the mityvac handle hurts like a bitch when it snaps.

you don't need to use any sealant, the vacuum pressure from the handpump will create the seal between your lid material of choice + container holding your oil dish.

oil, like red wine, needs time.

T

taintshredder

I like to use this for vac purging:

Makes it waaaaaay simple! ;-)

Graywolf

Graywolf

Vacuum purging actually works quite well if you keep the oil liquid, which requires around 66C/151F for CBD. You can do it as easily as putting an o-ringed bulkhead fitting in a jar lid or more complicated if you are trying to recover the solvent. See attached:

Getting the oil out afterwards can be a challenge, so I recently picked up an new 5 scfm AC vacuum pump on e-bay for $195, which among other things I will attach to a 24 quart pressure cooker in which I will place beakers or dishes and vacuum off the volatiles. The pressure cooker can set on a hot plate or in a hot bath.

Vacuum distillation 021 1
Vacuum distillation 003 1
AC Vacuum pump
Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Nice oil and setup GW! what other apparatus's do you have goin there besides the soxhlet with a coil condenser in it? and what kind of returns are you getting on the solvent used/quality of oil? Take it easy man, hope your medicines treatin you good. :bong-hits: :indifferent0023:

H

Hylife

Yeah as would I, looks like you got a damn lab in your garage. How did you even score all that glassware are you a chemist or chem licensed?

devious d

devious d

i know of the pressue cooker method like to see how your running it lookslike a chemists

M

MediCal_Candies

After seeing this site I decided to try making BHO. I went down to Harbor Freight and picked up the hand vacuum pump made by US General. The pump works great! I took a glass jar given to me by my local despensery, connected the pump to the lid and placed the jar on a coffee warmer that reaches about 140. When the oil gets to full temp I begin to pump the air out and the butane easily works it's way out. The jar can hold about 3 oz. Final cost for me $30.

D

Dankroom

I hate to throw this out there...but thats a waste of money period. Once you have your'e "run" vaped off. Just toss the whole shebang ( glass plate and all) into a 140* oven and bake it for 1-2hours (strain dependent). Scrape (while warm) into youre final dish and youre done.

#1 reason for me switching to errl was supported by Granny Storm Crow. "Once you remove plant material and butane you have essentially removed any CHANCE OF CANCER.

Top Bottom