Various Leaf Problems, Just looking for a hunch

• Thread starter Gurtgurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Hello my plants are making a fool of me. Let me introduce you. All plants same age, strain, regime, everything. Grew from seed in soil, about 11 weeks old already.

Various leaf problems just looking for a hunch 5

"I'm doing pretty good overall, got a couple small white patches on some leaves and the same yellow shit leaves as others"

Various leaf problems just looking for a hunch 3

"I'm doing well but have thin leaves/ airy, some yellow leaf tips"

Various leaf problems just looking for a hunch 2

Various leaf problems just looking for a hunch 4

"I'm the best one but my new leaves are light green"

Various leaf problems just looking for a hunch

"I've always had the most problems with splotches on leaves then they turn yellow. Got yellow leaf tips too."

Consider these FACTS:
  • Grow log here: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/lsd-from-ilgm-indoor-soil.135155/post-2762215
  • I defoliated and flushed with plain, unfiltered, un-pH'ed tap water 3 days ago. Will probably water again today or tomorrow
    • Top dressed with worm castings and finished last half gallon
  • Low temps but acceptable
  • I've defoliated these twice already and have removed most yellow leaves
  • I want to switch to flowering schedule in coming days (tomorrow even)
  • Grown in mix of ocean forest and small amount happy frog. I added vermiculite, bat guano, kelp meal, gypsum, work castings, and a unicorn.
  • I haven't pHed any feed water ask me why
  • 2 x 200 W LEDs about 24 in. away
What does your gut tell you?
When I noticed the yellow leaf tips I turned lights down. I used to use Photone app, then I realized it gave me different numbers each time / wasn't repeatable / didn't sense light change etc.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Man you got a lot going on there.

What's with the PH?

I am not a soil grower, so I would wait for someone with some brains to stop by. If nobody does I'll try to find you an expert.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

I know, right. My fingers are crossed that I have enough amendments in the soil that, with nutrients, they'll kick in with flower schedule. (That's what I've been trying to do last couple weeks, let things 'run it's course' -- honestly I'm bored with veg at this point).

I haven't been pHing feed water as per the sticky thread in General Indoor Growing. I do have a Berkey charcoal water filter I could use.

I haven't done a soil sorry test because: 90% of soil is new. I backfilled the top 1.5 inch of the pot after it compacted -- this is old flushed soil that I put some epsom salt in. To get a soil sample from root zone Is have to really dig in there.

I'm up for suggestions! As you can see I've already thrown a little bit of the whole kitchen sink in there. No pH, PPM, EC meter because I'm poor.

I may water tonight with your suggestions; I'm busy tomorrow and they could use it.

I attribute a lot to cold winter temps, but who knows. I guarantee next time I'm using different dirt.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I think you said this is pre used soil? So this is maybe your second grow? First one go ok?

to me this screams PH or nutes out of whack but I grow hydro so my advice doesn’t have much value.

Usually Friday night traffic picks up and someone will be here to give you some advice. For this kinda thing you have to find a grower that can diagnose with no data to go by. I couldn’t even do that in hydro. I’m completely reliant on my tools to dial in a grow.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Ok I got an idea. You got any turmeric in the spice cabinet?

grab a glass of water and put some powder in until it changes color. Then we will know if you are acid or base coming out of the tap.

if you can use measured quantities of water and turmeric and add the turmeric slowly while stirring. How much you have to add tells us a little too.

we can figure a rough PH to rule that out.

Or you can spend a few bux on a ph and TDS pen. I know the soil guys are gonna want a slurry test or runoff EC to get very far too.

Last edited:
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

95% of the soil was brand new when I started. Yes, I have tumeric.

JC_GRiZ

JC_GRiZ

It’s probably the unicorn! Lol
My initial opinion is that your pH and ppm are off. I am currently growing with Ocean Forrest and have had no problems with their brand so far even though I am a usual hydro (DWC) grower.
I would highly recommend investing in a pH meter at the very least.. a ruined crop will cost you more than investing in one. Flushing with regular tap water that has not been dechlorinated or pH’ed is an instant red flag to me. I try to keep pH at 6.5 with a little fluctuation to absorb all nutrients. See chart below.

Good looking crop other than that and should be a quick bounce back!

IMG 4901
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

From stickied pH thread: "When used in soil this unstable PH is actually IMO beneficial if you have a pre buffered soil (which you should) This means the water will have no impact on the PH potential (more on this later) of the soil and will almost instantly be influenced by the soil to the take on the PH of the soil makeup. This is why i feel we do not need to be PHing our nutrient solution for soil grows"

I figured I'd give it a shot. I've also heard dechlorination is pretty useless.

I had a cheapie pH pen and I didn't trust it's readings at all, despite all the recalibrations and trying 2 models. That said, I do have up & down and test drops. Call me crazy but I'm more confident in that reading.

Perhaps I'll pH the next couple waterings to try to get soil pH back down. My tap water is alkaline.

Moshmen

Moshmen

From stickied pH thread: "When used in soil this unstable PH is actually IMO beneficial if you have a pre buffered soil (which you should) This means the water will have no impact on the PH potential (more on this later) of the soil and will almost instantly be influenced by the soil to the take on the PH of the soil makeup. This is why i feel we do not need to be PHing our nutrient solution for soil grows"

I figured I'd give it a shot. I've also heard dechlorination is pretty useless.

I had a cheapie pH pen and I didn't trust it's readings at all, despite all the recalibrations and trying 2 models. That said, I do have up & down and test drops. Call me crazy but I'm more confident in that reading.

Perhaps I'll pH the next couple waterings to try to get soil pH back down. My tap water is alkaline.
But you are using enuff buffer in my opinion I’m not a organic soil guy but I do ammmend my promix hp with some Dolomite lime to help with buffering it’s a slow acting agent , I assume your using the guide in the same capacity - yes my ph varies and I ck it with fish tank drops maybe once or twice a grow - the drops will cost you less than $5

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Yes I like my drops been using em since Jr. High. Well hey guess what?:

I'm busy tomorrow morning so decided to water just now. Gave each plant 1.5 gal until runoff out the bottom. Each gal contained a scant tsp FF Grow Big veg, scant tsp FF tiger blüm flower, and tsp Epsom salt. I've been light on the added liquid nutes and flushed last so I decided to feed 'em. FF feeding guide suggests 2 tsp of each first week of flower. Tomorrow they'll start getting 12 hrs.

I did test the pH of this input. It was like 5.6 and I left it. I reckon if anything my soil pH is high.

I noticed a different coloration on some lower leaves of the bushy plant. Getting yellow without much splotchiness.

Anyway, I water again in 3 days, let me know what you think! Thanks

PXL 20220226 035248389
PXL 20220226 035214083MP
SmokeRings900

SmokeRings900

I'm busy tomorrow morning so decided to water just now. Gave each plant 1.5 gal until runoff out the bottom. Each gal contained a scant tsp FF Grow Big veg, scant tsp FF tiger blüm flower, and tsp Epsom salt. I've been light on the added liquid nutes and flushed last so I decided to feed 'em. FF feeding guide suggests 2 tsp of each first week of flower. Tomorrow they'll start getting 12 hrs.

I did test the pH of this input. It was like 5.6 and I left it. I reckon if anything my soil pH is high.

I noticed a different coloration on some lower leaves of the bushy plant. Getting yellow without much splotchiness.

Your girls R beautiful if I grow in same soil mix as U. Here R some tips always PH your water Don't over water they like a little dry out make those roots go deep and search for water makes a better root system. Also, with that soil mix I discovered they need a boost of Cal-magic also I highly recommend the product Ful-power from seed to finish its an amazing product a great foliage spray and more check it out. What base nutes R U using fox farms has is a good one its simple to use. Good luck Grow Strong!!! Have U tried any auto flowers?

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

I have switched to flowering schedule. Outside temperatures seem to be increasing which directly affects tent temperature & humidity capacity.

I did a soil slurry test. I have limited space, so took 1 tsp. soil from each of 2 plants and put into a container with distilled water. (The idea is the pH in the jar will be the average of 2 plants; I have 4 plants total). The soil was still moist from last watering, and dig from maybe 4 in. from surface.

Of the two jars, one was right about at 6.0 and the other was in the low 5s pH. Not what I was expecting, but then again last feed was 5-point-something pH. There are worm castings mixed into soil and also top-dressed with last water, I think worm castings lower pH.

So I guess it's time to start listening to the majority and pHing input water even in soil. My question for right now is, should I:

-Just start watering next couple times with high pH;
-Flush (don't want to, just recently did that);
-Burn some wood in the fireplace and add some ashes (how much?)
-or add Lime (but this is slow release, correct? Plus I'd have to purchase)

Whaddya think? Thanks for all the replies thus far.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I think your temps are too low. 65 limits uptake of many nutrients. 5.6 pH is too low as well.

Fireplace ash and lime will probably do the same thing. Go easy and slow. Maybe a 1/4 cup per bag topdressed. You should raise the pH up to at least 6 imo. Not sure how accurate you check was.
Highly recommend getting gypsum if you can. Use a cup per plant and you will see the results. Calcium is super important with cannabis and it is taken up like a macro.

Last edited:
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

My 2 cents.

1. Don't trust a cheap pH pen. A decent one is probably more than $50, and requires special storage solution as well as periodically calibration. My Bluelab pen was $80, but it matches my expensive Bluelab controller. My cheapo pen was a full point too high in comparison.

2. Cheap TDS pens to measure ppm or EC work fine. Get one that does EC for $12. It will save you a lot of grief.

Note that there are at least two PPM scales, and you want the ppm500 scale, not ppm700. Just be sure to get one that reads in EC as well as ppm.

3. Light intensity. I don't think there is an accurate way to measure brightness properly and cheaply. I went thru the cheap meters, the free phone app, the medium priced lux meters - all mostly crap. Finally bought a real PAR meter. Without thus, you really just have to know how plants respond to light and judge by eye. I see no low budget solution here. Just guesstimate based on charts and distance.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

PXL 20220301 191407390

Here we are after soaking the soil in distilled water for 40ish hours. Looks around 6 to me.

I do have gypsum and access to wood ash. Will likely water again tomorrow. There is a small amount of gypsum mixed into soil already.

If I get a pH meter some time down the road, it won't be a cheap one. For now I'm playing it by ear.

Yes it still gets cold at night but I have the heater set to come on 30-min bursts at intervals. I'll adjust this to warn up night temps. I'm not overjoyed running an oil heater from an extension cord. Atmosphere inside tent is fine (75F, 70%) during the day imo.

As far as light intensity, I'm just going on finger placement on the dial. I turned the lights down after noticing yellow tips.

Anyway thanks for the advice, I'll keep the grow log updated, hopefully things improve before showtime.

PXL 20220301 191043525MP
Last edited:
Top Bottom