vent exaust air out window, or into attic?

• Thread starter CoughingMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CoughingMan

So which one is a better choice? out the window, or into the attic? I want to do it out the window so I won't have to cut holes in the ceiling, but i also don't want my windows open 24/7. incase it rains or what have you.

Any ideas?

F

FastForward

I'd say into the attic for winter, out the window for summer - all depends on your temps imo

leadplant

leadplant

I notice quite a few people are venting into attics or crawlspaces. There are advantages in doing so such as convenience and stealth but I worry about the moisture load being added. Attics and crawls are supposed to be totally dry.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
yea i worry about humidity in attics aswell, but i think if the attic is large enough it should be able to handle the moisture, not so sure about crawl spaces. If you see brick vents within the crawl space it should allow for enough air movement, ie. moisture shouldnt be a problem.

C

CoughingMan

Yeah, the only thing I have about the attic is that I heard if your roof frosts over in the winter, which mine probably will, there will be a hot spot above where the air comes in that wont be iced over.

I doubt people will notice as to the fact that my roof is barely visible from the road but still, its something to think about?

H

HolliHerb

It has to get pretty warm for it to do that. like 4 1k lights and stuff.

J

julsbagell

Premium Member
Supporter
Attic is best unless your neighbors are pretty far and you dont get alot of unexpected visitors.

C

CoughingMan

okie dokie, well thanks for helping me decided everyone! the attic it is! :clapping

S

spinkus

Yeah CM, attic for sure. My buddy vents into his attic with a 1000w, and no snow meltage on the roof. Snow only stays around here for 2-4 days at a time.

P

ProGroWannabe

You "could" consider putting a decently long length of drainage pipe on the end of your ventilation tubing. The pipe I'm talking about is the black, perforated stuff. I think it's also called drain tile around here. Anyway, the idea is that the perforations should allow the heat to radiate out along the pipe's length. This way, you should have NO hotspots to melt snow or frost. Just lay 15 feet of it or so on the floor of the attic.....just an idea?

S

SenorMota

You "could" consider putting a decently long length of drainage pipe on the end of your ventilation tubing. The pipe I'm talking about is the black, perforated stuff. I think it's also called drain tile around here. Anyway, the idea is that the perforations should allow the heat to radiate out along the pipe's length. This way, you should have NO hotspots to melt snow or frost. Just lay 15 feet of it or so on the floor of the attic.....just an idea?

excellent idea! :yes

Latest posts

Top Bottom