Vented Hood...

• Thread starter spider125
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

spider125

I got a question about venting the hood for my grow tent. I was thinking about cutting 2 holes to the outside. One for air intake and one for exhaust. My question is would that be better then just running the intake inside the room and running the exhaust to the other side? It's a pretty big room. Its an unfinished room with concrete on the floor. The room measures 8ft high and 12ft wide by 19ft long. The tent is the GrowLab 120 which is 3'11" x 3'11"x6'7". Its a 600watt hps and the fan is a 4" that is 175cfm. Thanks for any advice.

S

spider125

No thoughts or comments from anyone? How about this. If I cut the holes for the vents for the light, do I have to filter that light so nothing gets on the bulb?? Any suggestions are more then welcome friends! Thanks

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I am a little confused on your setup. Are you working with a air cooled hood with the glass?
If you are using a regular air cooled hood, you can use one hole to run your exhaust thru and leave the other end open. That will create a "Passive" intake. Passive intakes use the exhaust to pull air thru the intake.
You can put a carbon filter on that end of the hood and have the exhaust fan outside the tent pulling the air out. That would be your best option.
I think cutting extra holes in a hood will pull unwanted smells out of the tent.

eyecandi

eyecandi

personally, I would use both external holes for venting an air-cooled hood (if sealed correctly, no smell should come through), keeps the temps in the basement and tent much cooler (esp with summer coming on). the bad side - gives another possible inlet for mites.

S

spider125

What I meant was cutting holes in the house wall to run the ducting for the cooling of the light. Like where a dryer vent goes to out side. I was wondering about that. I was wondering since the summer here gets about 100 at the very hottest should I cut 2 holes from inside the house to outside one for air intake through one side of the hood to outside the house. How much of a difference would it make inside the house if I just exhausted the air to the other side of the room while pulling air from the same room. See the measure ments from first post. Hope that makes more sense.

hiboy

hiboy

What i found successful was at one end have a fan sucking air in. Not connected to lights or anything. Put a paint screen around it from your favorite place home depot to keep the bugs out. Then you need a fan sucking the air out, and yes opposite side would be optimal to move air across your grow. You could connect this fan to your lights and then blow the air out. If your planning on running c02 you do a little different but i dont think your going that route.
hiboy

B

bootlegbrewer

I had my lights vented in and out like that for a while. Worked great in the summer, but I had a lot of condensation issues once things got cold outside. Also If you do it like that, you still need to exchange the air in the room somehow, so it might be better to intake to the room, and exhaust out through the light.

S

spider125

ok well this is in a tent. there's a window in the room so i could just open that from time to time. couple times a day. another question is about the carbaon filter. im gonna put a fan and filter inside the tent. would co2 work inside of the tent?

hiboy

hiboy

C02 is a whole diff. ballgame with venting (to do it right). Dont know about in a tent. You will lose alot if its not sealed.
hiboy

B

bootlegbrewer

I don't currently run co2 but my understanding is that you need to seal the room for it to be effective, otherwise you just vent out the co2 that you just put in (and paid for). I grow in tents and I've been wanting to do co2 as soon as I have the cash. I'm thinking that I want one fan to vent through just the hood, seal the tent and put a co2 tank in there. Then just put a carbon scrubber in the room outside to get rid of any smell that leaks out. Temps might go up this way though.

Top Bottom