Venting a grow tent outside

• Thread starter Maxwax
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Maxwax

Maxwax

First grow happening soon. I plan on venting my exhaust fan outside in spring, summer or fall. Ill have a window mount deal with a bird screen. Anything I should be concerned about or missing?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Just make sure your filter is working.

The higher off the ground your window is, the more dissipation of stink you get from wind, but it's not perfect. I had an exhaust that was about 20 feet above street level, and no one nearby would ever smell it. Then, one night I was walking my dog, about 100 yards from my house, and for an instant I caught the distinct wiff of my grow! Then the wind shifted and it was gone.

Maxwax

Maxwax

Just make sure your filter is working.

The higher off the ground your window is, the more dissipation of stink you get from wind, but it's not perfect. I had an exhaust that was about 20 feet above street level, and no one nearby would ever smell it. Then, one night I was walking my dog, about 100 yards from my house, and for an instant I caught the distinct wiff of my grow! Then the wind shifted and it was gone.
lol....Its upstairs high second floor but right on the corner close to the road. The reason Im doing it is to vent hot air and NOT use the filter until winter when I wont use the window. Save on filters and get better circulation coming out the top of the tent and my exhaust hose will only be 3 feet long. Frankly my neighborhood will only smell better if I get odors but I get what youre saying. I can grow legal here too.

Maxwax

Maxwax

If the bird screen is a flapper good. If no flapper on the exhaust exit you’ll want one to prevent rain from entering.
Ya see....thats why I ask. I didnt consider that and no its not a flapper vent....yet. TY!

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I wish I could vent to a window, but my HOA would fine me. However, there is a much better place for me to vent, should I want to go to the effort. And that is the attic. Especially in the summer here venting to the attic would probably reduce my A/C bills. Maybe. Because at the same time I'm lowing the temp of the attic area, I'm also having to suck in the same amount of unairconditioned air into the house to replace it. And given that sometimes that air can be 115F, and in a typical summer will exceed 100F 100 times, it's a huge concern. my 6-inch inline fan is supposed to change over a 4x4 tent completely every 60 seconds. That's a lot of air to replace.

JeffWix67

JeffWix67

I wish I could vent to a window, but my HOA would fine me. However, there is a much better place for me to vent, should I want to go to the effort. And that is the attic. Especially in the summer here venting to the attic would probably reduce my A/C bills. Maybe. Because at the same time I'm lowing the temp of the attic area, I'm also having to suck in the same amount of unairconditioned air into the house to replace it. And given that sometimes that air can be 115F, and in a typical summer will exceed 100F 100 times, it's a huge concern. my 6-inch inline fan is supposed to change over a 4x4 tent completely every 60 seconds. That's a lot of air to replace.
All that is going to do is grow mold in your attic...no money saving there...filters are cheaper then a front door and bail too...I live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors and I still use filters and vent "through the roof"....or use your chimney as long as it is not the one used for your furnace.

Top Bottom