vermicomposting

• Thread starter rootsnshoots
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

When my bin was full I went through by hand and picked out the big worms and peices of wood and tossed them in my new bin. Then I put a trash bag inside a trash can and put around a 1/4 inch screen across the top of the trash can, scooped up the vermipost on the screen, shook it and tossed off all of the screened pieces of organic matter and worms into the next bin. I know you can lay out piles in the sun and the worms will go to the bottom and just use the top stuff but i didn't. The result was a nice dark black VERRRY rich smelling compost. There were some gnats and i saw a few tiny baby worms here and there but i thought no biggie and sealed the trash bag and after a few days the gnats were gone. I brought the goods to the grow and starting brewing teas. Sometimes I empty the strainers into the tea and feed it to my plants. Other times ill just take the tea bag and empty it into an active compost bin. Well I noticed red wiggies in my bin at the grow which i had not purposely put worms in. The little guys are still alive in my "finished product" when i look through it i cant see them, But after a 24 brew i open up the strainer and there is maybe a dozen tiny worms! They must like shugga too!

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Dump those wigglers into your plants they'll have a field day eating dead matter and aerating your soil. I'm sure they'll grow some as well and lay eggs giving your recycled soil a jump start...

rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

Dump those wigglers into your plants they'll have a field day eating dead matter and aerating your soil. I'm sure they'll grow some as well and lay eggs giving your recycled soil a jump start...

No need to!;) when I empty the strainer into the tea they got in there. I saw one sticking out the side during transplant. And they did indeed grow! It was a full size wiggler.

I havnt heard of anyone putting red wigs into their potted mediums? But I definitely did via my teas and the plants seem to be liking their friends. Or at least no negative effects. I just wonder how much worm food there really is in there. I do reuse my soil and I only wait about month to reuse. There is still a few roots in there. So that's probably what that guy grew up on.

Top Bottom