Vertical Growers please help ...

• Thread starter Mr.GoodCat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

heath ran 600's and crushed it. he was the innovator in vertical growing. there are many other factors i am dealing with besides amperage. cooling, space and other factors play a big part. don't think i haven't thought about flip flop but for my situation it just simply wont work

M

mrdizzle

how many 600s u gonna burn? I found that 6-600's-3600w was waaaaaay hotter than 4-1000wers. I can help with the layout once I know the light count

also consider doing a drain to waste. I am only dumping 10-15gals of run off every 10-14days. its very nice to be able to dial in the nutes depending on how the plants are looking that day and the runoff ppm's and PH,

another great thing about the DTW is that I start the buckets off close to the lights, and then pull them back as they grow. I found that my plants didnt stretch as much and get as tall and as wide, but had more budsite per sqft

Northone are you constant feeding those?

B

ballzdeep

Heath was not the innovator of vert growing. He certainly innovated using the internet to build a following in this country to vert growing, and he should get props for that. Vert has popular in Europe for ages, the octagon has been around in this country since at least the 90's and I'm sure other incarnations preceeded it. The owner of Sun Inside Gardening in Eugene, OR (pretty sure his name is Curt) claims to have invented the Octagon long before Heath ever started posting pictures, who knows if curt really did invent it but he certainly does build and sell them. 600s work its just harder to do, and also in the Heath pics Ive seen he puts two 600's on top of each other, which decreases the need for increased penetration. I doubt that you plan to hang two 600's essentially right on top of each other when you have 12 plants to "feed" and a serious amp restriction. Just my two sense, whatever you choose to do I hope it works out well. I am limited to 24 matures legally and grow vert, just trying to help.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Heath was not the innovator of vert growing. He certainly innovated using the internet to build a following in this country to vert growing, and he should get props for that. Vert has popular in Europe for ages, the octagon has been around in this country since at least the 90's and I'm sure other incarnations preceeded it. The owner of Sun Inside Gardening in Eugene, OR (pretty sure his name is Curt) claims to have invented the Octagon long before Heath ever started posting pictures, who knows if curt really did invent it but he certainly does build and sell them. 600s work its just harder to do, and also in the Heath pics Ive seen he puts two 600's on top of each other, which decreases the need for increased penetration. I doubt that you plan to hang two 600's essentially right on top of each other when you have 12 plants to "feed" and a serious amp restriction. Just my two sense, whatever you choose to do I hope it works out well. I am limited to 24 matures legally and grow vert, just trying to help.

I appreciate the help, don't think I don't. I already have 6-600w ballasts so that is why i was gonna go 600's and my amperage restrictions. I am sure they will do better then running in hoods like I am doing now. My space is also very small. I think my room is like 8x16. I can run 12 plants in here wih the spacing. I am not interested in growing 4lb trees. I would be very happy with 1lb bushes. I want to crawl before I run.

B

Bobby Smith

If and when I ever decide to do trees, I'm just gonna grow four trees around the cooltube (4 stacked 600s) that's in my avatar.

Lotsa ways to skin a cat, and I'd rather have a large central light source than have individual lights hanging all over the place - also I need a cooltube for my space, and cooltube-ing 6 or 8 individual lights just looks like a massive fucking headache.

Different strokes for different folks.

M

mrdizzle

I appreciate the help, don't think I don't. I already have 6-600w ballasts so that is why i was gonna go 600's and my amperage restrictions. I am sure they will do better then running in hoods like I am doing now. My space is also very small. I think my room is like 8x16. I can run 12 plants in here wih the spacing. I am not interested in growing 4lb trees. I would be very happy with 1lb bushes. I want to crawl before I run.

This is a good layout, youll have to just cramp them in, I know that 1lb plant can be done with a 600w so no worries, so long as you have them up off the ground at least 10in you will be able to crawl under the canopy. are you planning on sealing this room up?. let the plants get no larger than 4ft and you will be very happy
..o..X..o
..X..o...X
..o..X...o
..X..o...X
..o..X...o
..X..o...X
..o..X...o
..X..o...X

M

mrdizzle

I do a water till runoff on day one, then for teh next two days I plug in the pump for a couple of minutes at a time, then on day 4 or so I do a water until run off again. mini res in the hempy holds 1.5ish gals

I could go once every 2-3days but I like to keep the crown moist, I have to time to plug in the pumps everyday you could def figure out how much the plants are drinking by measuring how much water you pump out and how much runoff you get

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

This is a good layout, youll have to just cramp them in, I know that 1lb plant can be done with a 600w so no worries, so long as you have them up off the ground at least 10in you will be able to crawl under the canopy. are you planning on sealing this room up?. let the plants get no larger than 4ft and you will be very happy
..o..X..o
..X..o...X
..o..X...o
..X..o...X
..o..X...o
..X..o...X
..o..X...o
..X..o...X

yes this is the layout that i had planned as well. do you think a 24k mini split can handle cooling these lights? i really dont want to mess around with daisy chaining cooltubes all over the place. if not i could possibly hook up an seperate exhaust to help her out, then hook that up to an air-3 so my co2 kicks off when theexhaust fires up

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

I thank everyone for their help. I didn't mean to waste anyones time and I hope some people got some knowledge out of this thread. I have decided to get the under current 12xl13 and rock 6-1000's with that and scrog the hell out of it. Thanks again everyone and stay tuned for my build out in the UC forum. A mod can close this at anytime. Peace - Goodcat

B

ballzdeep

Didn't waste my time, that sounds like a much better idea to me. If I were you, Id run some 600's on the perimeter for supplemental and put mylar on the walls. Your going to do far better with that setup. What nutes do you plan to use?

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Gonna use AN Sensi 2-part grow with great white and roots excel in veg. In flower AN Sensi 2-part bloom with big bud and then in the end switch the big bud out with b-52 and overdrive.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

The bottle says to use it in conjunction with OD from like weeks 3-6. I used it this run at the end and it seemed to really help pack on the weight.

M

mrdizzle

good luck with everything bro

overhead lighting is great, but I cant picture a flat garden plant producing more than 8oz total of quality, so your yeild might not be what you imagen, but 6k over head is easy to deal with cooling wise

on a side note about the UC, take it from me and northone, after a yr in RDWC mpb's I would never suggest a UC or a MPB to anyone, there is not plus side to these types of systems IMO, only quicker vegging. going from yeilding 10lbs to not yeilding 10lbs happens overnight. if you look around youll see more and more root rot popping up with the UC, others wont admit it. Even Jack had to take down a 16site last run but he didnt talk to much about it.

everything goes up with RDWC, electric bill, nutes, water bill, paranoia, risk.

M

mrdizzle

haha tell him bro, one day its raging the next day they look a little off, 3 days later your up all night looking at roots and changing out your res 50 times, the next 3 days your calling your friends asking if they have any ready cuts, then 2 more days to decided whether you should yank all the plants

best part it, you have no real reason why it happen, just some theories

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

good luck with everything bro

overhead lighting is great, but I cant picture a flat garden plant producing more than 8oz total of quality, so your yeild might not be what you imagen, but 6k over head is easy to deal with cooling wise

on a side note about the UC, take it from me and northone, after a yr in RDWC mpb's I would never suggest a UC or a MPB to anyone, there is not plus side to these types of systems IMO, only quicker vegging. going from yeilding 10lbs to not yeilding 10lbs happens overnight. if you look around youll see more and more root rot popping up with the UC, others wont admit it. Even Jack had to take down a 16site last run but he didnt talk to much about it.

everything goes up with RDWC, electric bill, nutes, water bill, paranoia, risk.

true true, i was thinking the same thing thats why i wanted to do krusty buckets in the first place but the uc seemed like a great out-of-box system that was turn key. maybe i will design a 12-site large scale hempy style bucket system that i can top feed and run the pump with drippers on like 1 hr a day (figure how long it will take to fill my mini res) do like a drain to waste with automated top feed

M

mrdizzle

true true, i was thinking the same thing thats why i wanted to do krusty buckets in the first place but the uc seemed like a great out-of-box system that was turn key. maybe i will design a 12-site large scale hempy style bucket system that i can top feed and run the pump with drippers on like 1 hr a day (figure how long it will take to fill my mini res) do like a drain to waste with automated top feed

you will kill it bro, you will be much happier being able to slightly move plants, adjust your feeding, and figure out a problem if it comes, and have the room to fix the problem without ruining a whole run.

The UC is a great system, but the risk of losing a harvest is so beyond horrible its not even funny.

" people run to RDWC then they run right back"-jaliscokid

I

budfriend

budfriend

What up Mr good cat

I used those trimmers you recomended. They worked awesome. I used them more than the trimpro rotor i just bought

As far as vertical lighting goes. I bought one of those 8 by 4 tents and put 2 1k in them with 6 plants to learn and glad i did instread of switching everything. the first run they were to small. Second was allright. Then by the third i got it all dialed. and now my big room is verticial. With trees if you have a weak plant you lose alot vs tray if a plant is weak just toss it and it does not matter.

I have been using perilite with a little coco towards the bottom and a cup of hydroton at the bottom to keep stuff from getting through the holes. I water once every couple hours at first and by week 3-4 i water 15 on 30 off. Dont know if thats the best but i got some og kush looking like a bush. You would never know its a kush.

I did dwc and peritlite in 5 gallons side by side and perlite won plus was much easier.

good luck. Also search for Janus tree thread. Lots of good info. If you got any questions hit me up.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Im set up hempy drain to waste very cheap. 5g buckets from lowes, drilled holes at 2" and added drain lines like used for the flood and drain buckets, ran drip line with open 1/4" lines. I put chunky perilite in the bottom and filled the rest with straight coco. Next time im going to build drip rings, and may try mixing in perlite, but with straight coco its only water every 3 days. You could leave it for a weekend.

Top Bottom